Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I’m not a fan of callouts like this unless it’s someone that said good things about Jim Benning; then it sustains me.

f*** Jim Benning and f*** anyone that has ever defended him, go hang your head in shame.

Pretty lame call out. I now use the phrase "previous management group" because there always major disagreements on which things Benning was responsible for, and what Linden and Brackett were responsible for, so it's just easier to say "previous regime", or words to that effect.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I have to say, Benning was actually a huge part of breaking me as a hockey fan. I was a hardcore hockey fan for about 20+ years who watched most of the Canucks games every year.

Watching the aspiring to mediocre slop that was this shitty franchise during the Benning years became such a tedious waste of life. Combined with one of the shittiest owners in pro sports. I just gave up on hockey during the Coof.

And quite frankly have not missed it or looked back at all. The Canucks are a mobius strip of suck and that will never change until an owner who isn't mentally handicapped comes along... which will probably not happen in our life times. So f*** it.

I haven't watched a single hockey game in almost five years and I haven't missed a thing. I come back because I like fantasy hockey and it's funny to read the posts every pre-season and nothing ever changes in Canucks land except the names of the prospect busts.

But ultimately, pro sports are most likely rigged. The NFL being blatantly rigged last year with their legal status coming out as that of "sports entertainment" from a lawsuit several years ago. All the NBA and college scandals. And of course we all remember 2012. So meh, it's all just a gigantic waste of time.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I have to say, Benning was actually a huge part of breaking me as a hockey fan. I was a hardcore hockey fan for about 20+ years who watched most of the Canucks games every year.

Watching the aspiring to mediocre slop that was this shitty franchise during the Benning years became such a tedious waste of life. Combined with one of the shittiest owners in pro sports. I just gave up on hockey during the Coof.

And quite frankly have not missed it or looked back at all. The Canucks are a mobius strip of suck and that will never change until an owner who isn't mentally handicapped comes along... which will probably not happen in our life times. So f*** it.

I haven't watched a single hockey game in almost five years and I haven't missed a thing. I come back because I like fantasy hockey and it's funny to read the posts every pre-season and nothing ever changes in Canucks land except the names of the prospect busts.

But ultimately, pro sports are most likely rigged. The NFL being blatantly rigged last year with their legal status coming out as that of "sports entertainment" from a lawsuit several years ago. All the NBA and college scandals. And of course we all remember 2012. So meh, it's all just a gigantic waste of time.
Definitely appreciate you coming back to shit on everything and tell us how above it all you are.

Maybe you want to call your high school ex girlfriend to tell her how over her you are?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Ian Clark:
-starting to pick up a little bit of noise
-Clark may move on with the Canucks blessing
-Canucks would not stand in the way
-mentions New Jersey as a possible destination
-people who followed the situation much closer felt that it was likely that this marriage wouldn't continue
-looks like the relationship with the Canucks has turned in a bad direction but teams would still value his knowledge

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

This is like scratching your own ass and then smelling your finger.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

cc

Feb 28, 2002

Ian Clark:
-people who followed the situation much closer felt that it was likely that this marriage wouldn't continue
-looks like the relationship with the Canucks has turned in a bad direction but teams would still value his knowledge

I'm frankly disappointed with this development. As far as I know, he was instrumental in acquisition of some of the promising goalies in the system which has been one of the few strengths during the struggling years. The way the org made it sound initially was that Ian Clark himself that requested to take a step back and be "demoted" but it now doesn't appear to be the case.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm frankly disappointed with this development. As far as I know, he was instrumental in acquisition of some of the promising goalies in the system which has been one of the few strengths during the struggling years. The way the org made it sound initially was that Ian Clark himself that requested to take a step back and be "demoted" but it now doesn't appear to be the case.

It seems like he requested to step back in terms of on-ice stuff and the club has had a 'if you're not fully in, you're out' sort of response to it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ian Clark:

I wonder about the timing. Clark is pretty involved locally and he has a cushy gig. Maybe the Canucks were upset over the handling of Demko's work load last season? Maybe Clark feels he's been sidelined by new management and or Tocchet? Let the speculation begin!

Coincidentally, the guy who replaced Clark the last time around left us for New Jersey.

So nice to have competent management. I completely forgot about this thread.

Also losing Clark would be a bummer

The Canucks & NHL News thread took away all the traffic.

Reactions: theguardianII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The fact that there is basically 100% agreement that management is competent and doing a good job is what killed this thread. There is basically nothing to discuss and no points of dissent or controversy right now.

I disagree. A lot of the typical off season discussions like contract negotiations, free agent/trade targets (including all the Lankinen talk), trade ideas, projected lineups, Willander's ETA, which prospects will push for a position, Canucks' cap situation, what Allvin said about Boeser etc. that would have typically gone in the Management Thread in the past.

There were certainly plenty of offseason discussions in the Managment threads during Gillis' heyday.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
;):sarcasm::naughty::laugh::help::popcorn::coffee::fence:

After Benning's reign of error Allvin has been given a very long leash by fans but that honeymoon should be coming to an end and some of these bizarre signings and trades should be examined a little.
Good
He scoops the entire NHL for a coveted Russian who is quite successful as EP's wing man.
Bad
Only to trade him, a first round pick, a very, very promising AAA RHD prospect and B prospect large dman for essentially a rental.
Benning did this to a lesser effect, both teams played extra games but both ended up with nothing for the future, if anything these could be looked as desperation moves only Benning's cost less.

Good
Allvin again scooped the NHL for a very highly ranked FA in Mikheyev and that guy started to play pretty well even with a severe knee injury with EP and Kuz until he had to get surgery. Fans forget that with this combination EP had his best year, Kuz scored almost 40 goals and Mikheyev also had his best year even with a damaged knee. They were also one of the best defensive lines, so good EP was touted as a possible Selke candidate.
So what happened? Why? This was a stout line that worked well together?
Bad
Mikheyev get dealt with retention, 2nd rnd pick and an NHL player, for a 4th rnd pick.

So these first two, which was the mistake, signing or the price of trading?

IMO really bad

Then there is the OEL buyout. A ridiculously long term damaging NHL record payout that will last another 6 years. Why? One excuse was to pay some other player that aren't here anymore. It was so well known that Tocchet and OEL had issues that is was a topic at his hiring. But again, even over paid and asked to change his game OEL was still a serviceable top 4 dman good enough to carry the Cup Champs for a couple of months by himself basically providing what he used to be good at, PP quarter back. If they had not bought him out then what player isn't here? His cap hit is a 4+million dollar back hole or a 4 dollar player not on this team. Stated so they could get more players, who?

Good
Okay to Zadorov.
Many teams wanted this unicorn but Allvin stole him from the Flames for a 2nd rnd pick, a fantastic and envied trade. After getting here the Canuck defence got ranked in the top five in the NHL and Zadorov started to bloom.

Bad
The guy stated he wanted to stay, he would take a pay cut to stay, a guy that after playing for years behind high paid star defencemen got a chance and was starting to show just how good he really is and he is let go for a difference of 275 thousand? Does anyone understand the true significance of this? He is 29 yrs old, a deterrent, massive, very hard hitter, durable with no severe injuries, one of the fastest recorded skaters in the league at 37.5 kmh that had almost no PP time but still ended up being the 2nd highest scoring dman in the playoffs, a playoff performer that stepped his game up a notch or two when the real season was going. Played left or right side. Signing him would have secured a top 4 d position for the next 5 years or so with a rising cap to make 5 million in three years will be cheap. So the team could have had Hughes, Hronek, Zadorov with Myers/Pettersson/Willander/??? at known costs for 5 years or so.

Bad
Rachel Dohrety stuff
Ian Clarke issues
Maybe unintentional but possible Russian bias from coaching? All Russians eliminated from the team even at high expense for nothing in return except 20 some odd games?
Lindholm's snubbing of the Canucks in favour of moving across the country for the same money, why?
Almost the same number of picks traded away as the previous nightmare.
Not a problem yet but another 8 million dollar 37yr old forward, Miller will be 32 yrs old this year with another 5 years on his NMC contract?
Cap space eroded. 4+ mil dead cap space for the next two years of this team's "window"
Draft picks lost.

Hired in 2021
IMO they, Rutherford and Allvin, started with a vision of building a team but when they hired Tocchet they changed direction to his vision. The got rid of all the players he didn't like. IMO the Russians had fun, Kuzmenko was a card in the room, Zadorov took over the music played, Mikheyev smiled, they all did. Tocchet wanted guys like himself, Miller types, boards guys. Keenan players. Now they are stuck with this group and Tocchet's next contract to deal with next year. Again I think Tocchet will demand behind closed doors to get a deal done before the end of the season to extend him beyond 2026.

I hope the season starts soonest, this tin hat stuff can be so entertaining and laughable ;););):naughty::DD

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bh53

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think the reason there's so little management discussion is because there is a large contingent of posters who insist allvin is a good gm so all his moves are good and all his moves are good so allvin is a good gm

he's got some real stinkers in his short tenure (stillman, studnicka, dermott, dickinson, mikheyev, lazar and the horvat deal imo) that people mostly just ignore or gloss over. there's no real reason to believe desharnais, heinen, debrusk et al are going to be successful just because "pro scouting under allvin has been great" or whatever. i think debrusk in particular is going to be a big disappointment here but saying that just brings out the allvin can do no wrong brigade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad