Value of: Malkin for Monahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
To be fair, we may want to take a look at Malkin's stats before we complain that, out of these two, Monahan is the one whose production is too reliant on PP.

To elaborate, I think Malkin's the better player by a decent margin but Pittsburgh fans tend to exaggerate how much he elevates "fire hydrants" on the team's de facto third line. That line, as a line, isn't anything to write home about but ample PP time makes Malkin's individual numbers look half-way acceptable.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Total 5on5 points per season and the wingers most minutes played with 5on5

2013 - 24 points 5on5
Colbourne 397:04
Hudler - 363:30

2014 - 32 points 5on5
Hudler 584:48
Gaudreau 528:46

2015 - 37 points 5on5
Gaudreau 966:49
Hudler 471:49

Paul Byron and Curtis Glencross nowhere near the top in any year. I love it when people make up facts and think no one is smart enough to look up them up

No one made up any facts. For the first half of 2014-15, Monahan centred those guys while other centres were playing with Hudler/Gaudreau. Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler wasn't put together until Mid-January 2015 (I believe @ Arizona). Monahan was still pacing for around 50 points before then. Monahan's linemates weren't exclusively Byron and Glencross, but he definitely saw his mishmash of 3rd and 4th liners. Top of my head lines Monahan was fit between included:

Glencross-Monahan-Byron
Glencross-Monahan-Jones
Glencross-Monahan-Colborne
Raymond-Monahan-Colborne
Bouma-Monahan-Jones

Despite lines of this nature he was still producing decently. Three of those guys aren't even in the NHL any more (well, Raymond did sign a two-way deal after getting bought out), another had seven points last season, and I miss Paul Byron.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Some people seems to think you cant play hockey anymore once you hit 30 years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How about if Pitt adds Crosby? I mean they'd be getting the next Bergeron(apparently) and they'd only have to give away 2 two 30 year old players. Sounds like a steal.

This section continues to provide the most insight into the mind of the delusional (homer in most cases)hockey fan.

The funny part is that Bergeron is the best-case projection, and Bergeron - God love him - isn't as good as Geno.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Cal would have to add to the deal for Pitt. If Mony was signed to a sweetheart deal long term I would think about it more. Adding a significant piece or two makes no sense for Cal imo though. They are still probably 2 years out from really contending.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Pittsburgh GM says no immediately, hangs up, and then briefly daydreams about if he had said yes.

Calgary GM says "What?! Of course! Ah shoot, actually... no. Well wait a second, uhhhhhhh, wow. Malkin? Really? Man, ummm jeez no, I can't. I just can't.... I mean.... no. Yeah, no, I can't. Seriously thanks though. That means a lot. ****, can I call you back?"

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Why wouldnt Calgary take this? Malkins on an entirely different level than Monahan and its not like theyre early in their rebuild.

Usually people have short memory's but apparently not when it comes to Evgeni because he hasn't played like a superstar for 5 years now. Malkin is 30 years old,always injured and trending down and Monahan is 21 and is trending up!

If that's doesn't do it for you how about the $57 million Malkin will make the next 6 years of trending down. If he continues his downward path this contract will be one of the worst in the league.

Treliving would hang up in a hurry with this offer and if he didn't Burke would fire him.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Usually people have short memory's but apparently not when it comes to Evgeni because he hasn't played like a superstar for 5 years now. Malkin is 30 years old,always injured and trending down and Monahan is 21 and is trending up!

If that's doesn't do it for you how about the $57 million Malkin will make the next 6 years of trending down. If he continues his downward path this contract will be one of the worst in the league.

Treliving would hang up in a hurry with this offer and if he didn't Burke would fire him.

To be fair, Malkin's still good, but you can't even bet he'll play 70 games, or when he's playing he's not healthy sometimes either. When he's beast he's amazing, but that seems to be getting less and less.

Either way, no point for the Flames to trade a 21 year old #1 for a player 9 years older of the same position.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I don't get all the Pitts says no.... Are you kidding me Com'on Man as Chris Burman would say.

1.) I get it that Malkin is a top tier centreman but Monahan is no slouch and is just entering his prime while Malkin's better days are behind.

2.) Malkin can't stay healthy while Monahan does not at this point have any issues.

3.) Malkin's deal is terrible while Monahan's would likely be 6.5-7.5.

If I am Pitts I do this deal any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I don't get all the Pitts says no.... Are you kidding me Com'on Man as Chris Burman would say.

1.) I get it that Malkin is a top tier centreman but Monahan is no slouch and is just entering his prime while Malkin's better days are behind.

2.) Malkin can't stay healthy while Monahan does not at this point have any issues.

3.) Malkin's deal is terrible while Monahan's would likely be 6.5-7.5.

If I am Pitts I do this deal any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

What...? 9.5 million for a guy that has been considered one of the absolute best players in the league is terrible? Malkin played 20 games less than Monahan and still only has a couple less points, especially considering he was playing with guys like Bryan Rust and Kunitz for most of last season, and was playing hurt for a chunk of it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Penguins just won the Cup with a Crosby,Malkin and Kessel on 3 different lines no way do they trade Malkin and ruin that. Maybe if you add Brodie they might say yes but maybe not. No way would Calgary do that however.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Apparently your memory needs some work. Malkin has the 2nd highest P/G of any NHL player over the last 5 years:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=250&threshhold=5&order_by=points_per_game

If Malkin hasn't played like a superstar the last 5 years, then no forward but Crosby has.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
What...? 9.5 million for a guy that has been considered one of the absolute best players in the league is terrible? Malkin played 20 games less than Monahan and still only has a couple less points, especially considering he was playing with guys like Bryan Rust and Kunitz for most of last season, and was playing hurt for a chunk of it.

He is 30 and can't stay healthy, compound that with the fact that you are getting rid of a Kid who will likely be on a pretty decent cap hit and projecting one way-up. In my opinion it's a double whammy.

So I guess everybody chiming in here would be willing to give Joey Bats 30 million a year for the next 5 years because he was one of the better right fielders in MLB in the past. I hate to say it but GM's that think like that get burned and fired quickly. Look what happened to Bickle, Lupul, Brown, Richards, VLC, CLARKSON.... There are a ton of examples of players who have gotten over inflated contracts. Now I will say this Malkin has lived up to his for the most part but Father Time always catches up and he has already proven he can't stay healthy.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
He is 30 and can't stay healthy, compound that with the fact that you are getting rid of a Kid who will likely be on a pretty decent cap hit and projecting one way-up. In my opinion it's a double whammy.

So I guess everybody chiming in here would be willing to give Joey Bats 30 million a year for the next 5 years because he was one of the better right fielders in MLB in the past. I hate to say it but GM's that think like that get burned and fired quickly. Look what happened to Bickle, Lupul, Brown, Richards, VLC, CLARKSON.... There are a ton of examples of players who have gotten over inflated contracts. Now I will say this Malkin has lived up to his for the most part but Father Time always catches up and he has already proven he can't stay healthy.

why are you comparing one of the best centers of this generation to Lupul and Bickell?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
why are you comparing one of the best centers of this generation to Lupul and Bickell?

Because all contracts have an intrinsic value and I don't believe that Malkin's at 9.5 for the next 5 years is a good one. Furthermore you are getting rid of a kid that is projected to go up in value at a better cap hit.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Because all contracts have an intrinsic value and I don't believe that Malkin's at 9.5 for the next 5 years is a good one. Furthermore you are getting rid of a kid that is projected to go up in value at a better cap hit.

I get that Calgary doesn't do it (debatable) but why are you surprised that Pittsburgh doesn't? They just won a flippin cup and want to keep winning now. Downgrading to Monahan doesn't help them win a cup today

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I get that Calgary doesn't do it (debatable) but why are you surprised that Pittsburgh doesn't? They just won a flippin cup and want to keep winning now. Downgrading to Monahan doesn't help them win a cup today

Why does everybody on this board seem to think that today's Malkin is the same player that put up 100+ points in 2011/2012.

Since then he hasn't played more than 69 games in one season(31,60,69 and 57) or scored more than 72 points. He has averaged 58.25. Again he can't stay healthy and at 9.5 is a huge cap hit. It does not matter anymore as the flames signed the kid but if I was a GM and had the choice between a 30 Gino at 9.5 vs a 22 year old Monahan at 6.3 I take the later.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think both teams turn this down.

Malkin is the superior player no doubt. When the Flames cup window hopefully opens Monahan should be in his prime, Malkin will be on the backside of his. It's also hard for the Flames to fit Malkin's contract in at the present moment.

Malkin also helps Pittsburgh more right now and next year, as Pittsburgh's window is still open. So they say no as well easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad