Proposal: Malkin and Kessel for Bergeron and Marchand

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
last year kessel was available for trade... it was agreed Toronto would have to eat contract to trade him and couldn't expect much in return

then he was traded and Toronto had to eat contract and didn't get much for him

whether kessel has a good playoff or not... he sucked half the season... I know cause I took him in around 17 pools I was in. he didn't fit with Crosby or malkin... they got their coach fired.

yes he eventually showed up... playing on a third line against inferior checking, he showed up for a 25 game stretch and lit it up...

historically, kessel shows up for at least 25 games every season... sometimes as much as 40-45 games. he always has a 25 game stretch where he will score around 40-45 points every season... its nothing new

its not the 25 game good stretches anyone worries about. we have seen those many times. hes a very gifted offensive player

its really the 40 stretch games where he scores around 25 points while getting all the pp time and letting his team finish out of the playoffs that most of us are concerned about. during this time he will often tell the media he isn't going to listen to the coaches... he will often say hes going fishing. his coach will say we cant let kessel play center because he doesn't want to play defense.

when kessel is engaged and scoring... hes a hell of a scorer... but when hes not engaged he is rather useless on the ice... and that's around 50% of his career

its ok on some teams... its not ok in boston. it wasn't ok when thornton did it. wasn't ok when wheeler did it... wasn't ok when seguin did it... its not ok when kessel does it...

boston isn't ok with this type of player

This trade could work if we also traded coaches, front offices and most of the fans.

Nothing against Kessel but he would be a train wreck on a Julien team. On the other hand Marchand would fit like a glove anywhere outside Vancouver.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You might think the value is fair but... the Boston duo does much more to win games.
Not only are you looking at a perennial Selke winner and a 30 goal-scorer that is one of the most dangerous pk players in the league... you're also giving up offence as the two of them out produced the others last year and I expect that to continue for the foreseeable future.

o.k. - you're looking at two thirds of the top Canadian line that is dominating international competition vs. an incredibly good (albeit oft injured centre) and a winger that couldn't even make the line-up of the worst team in the tournament. - ya ya, management, ya ya, whatever... the same kind of decisions makers never thought enough of Kessel to even bring him while Marchand and Bergeron are on the first line of the best line in the tournament.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You might think the value is fair but... the Boston duo does much more to win games.
Not only are you looking at a perennial Selke winner and a 30 goal-scorer that is one of the most dangerous pk players in the league... you're also giving up offence as the two of them out produced the others last year and I expect that to continue for the foreseeable future.

o.k. - you're looking at two thirds of the top Canadian line that is dominating international competition vs. an incredibly good (albeit oft injured centre) and a winger that couldn't even make the line-up of the worst team in the tournament. - ya ya, management, ya ya, whatever... the same kind of decisions makers never thought enough of Kessel to even bring him while Marchand and Bergeron are on the first line of the best line in the tournament.

Wasn't Kessel recovering from surgery?

Horrid trade for the Pens. Bergeron's defense does not outweigh game changing offense from Malkin. Kessel and Marchand are a wash.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That is robbery for the Pens.

Something is clearly wrong with Malkin, again. Marchand brings more overall to the table than Kessel and Bergeron is a top player in the league.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Wasn't Kessel recovering from surgery?

Horrid trade for the Pens. Bergeron's defense does not outweigh game changing offense from Malkin. Kessel and Marchand are a wash.

disagree.
I know the Pens won the Cup and Kessel had a good run and has my respect but...
Marchand does everything Kessel does (use his speed to come down the wing, let deceptive shots go) plus - y'know - everything else.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sheary/Crosby/Hornqvist
Kunitz/Bergeron/Rust
Hagelin/Bonino/Marchand

nope...

I wonder if Bergeron even hits 50 points playing with 2 30 point wingers

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
What does their Cup have to do with it lol

I think both teams say no but if I had to choose I think Pittsburgh wins, think it does more for them than Boston.

You trade players to increase your chances of winning a cup.

Whether anyone thinks Bergeron/Marchand are better than Malkin/Kessel doesn't matter. Malkin/Kessel are a better fit for the current group of penguins.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
That is robbery for the Pens.

Something is clearly wrong with Malkin, again. Marchand brings more overall to the table than Kessel and Bergeron is a top player in the league.

Yep
Malkin stunk in the world cup and is hurt too much.
Not to mention the high cap hit on Malkin.

Marchand and Bergeron look great no thanks.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
disagree.
I know the Pens won the Cup and Kessel had a good run and has my respect but...
Marchand does everything Kessel does (use his speed to come down the wing, let deceptive shots go) plus - y'know - everything else.

Kessel has one of the best shots in the league, and is a better playmaker.

Marchand has a better complementary skillset. Good away from the puck, strong in the corners, goes to the net and pisses the other team off.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I wonder if Bergeron even hits 50 points playing with 2 30 point wingers

Like 25 points Connolly, you mean?

Kulemin and Clarkson had great one years too.

Soooo....we're not going with consistency this one time.
Pitts could also wait until July 1.

Problem with this is that Marchand got his 37 goals while shooting below his shooting average. He just got 18 1/2 minutes of ice time instead of 17: that made the difference between 25-28 goals and 37 (in 77 games). Looks very sustainable to me...
Oh and he still gets an incredibly low amount of PP (with the 2nd unit too, by the way. Did you know Marchand lead the whole league in 5 vs 5 goals last year? The more one knows eh?) and a ton of PK, while getting only 47% offensive zone starts.

Now imagine if he got 65% offensive zone starts like Kessel.

Lets stop here.
Why didn't they make the playoffs, while the Duo who does less, won the Cup?

Seems to me, like the Bruins duo, didn't do very much for the past 2 seasons.

Asking why two players didn't make the playoffs in a team sport, it's not a smart thing to say.

The Bruins duo, last year, was 2nd in goals only to the Seguin / Benn duo. Let that sink in...

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
This post sums up basically everything that is wrong with Bruins hockey. They value toughness over talent, which is why you see players like Kessel, Thornton and Seguin traded over the years. No wonder they haven't made the playoffs since 2014, they're too busy valuing truculence over talent.

That also doesn't show how Marchand is better than Kessel. Just because the Bruins are stupid with their player decisions doesn't make Marchand better htan Kessel.

This is revisionist history at its best. Boston had to choose between Krejci and Kessel, Boston chose to pay Krejci first and then offered Kessel what they had remaining in cap. Kessel wouldn't accept it and with an offersheet threat looming from Toronto, Boston was forced to trade Kessel. The B's did offer Kessel a contract. Up until this past year I don't think it's even debatable who the right choice was for the B's, Krejci went on to win a cup in Boston and lead the playoffs in scoring twice. Seguin is much of the same story, Boston liked Seguin and signed him to a good extension. After a really tight playoffs where Seguin was a no show and Boston could have conceivably won their second cup in 3 years, rumors started to swirl that Seguin was out partying all night. Boston chose to move him and not stay committed to a player who didn't take his career seriously for 6m. If they were so concerned about toughness I don't think they target Eriksson and Smith as the main pieces coming back in trade. I won't even get into the Hamilton situation as it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

As for the OPs proposal, I'd easily pass. Boston is built on team defense and Bergeron and Marchand are massive pieces in that. Kessel and Malkin are not likely to outscore what Boston gives up in goals against without Bergeron and Marchand. I'm not saying who is the better players, just that the Boston players are better fits in what Boston asks of their players than Malkin and Kessel are.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Reading this thread, it sounds like Bruins fans are happy they haven't made the playoffs for two years.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Lets stop here.
Why didn't they make the playoffs, while the Duo who does less, won the Cup?

Seems to me, like the Bruins duo, didn't do very much for the past 2 seasons.

HF a year ago: "Kessel shouldn't be judged by team performances, he was on a bad team."

HF now: "Kessel is better because his team won"

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Reading this thread, it sounds like Bruins fans are happy they haven't made the playoffs for two years.

Or you could quickly flip through some stats and see Boston was 5th in the league in goals for last year and 19th in goals against. So would Malkin/Kessel put up more goals? Probably. Do they also likely give up more goals against than a multiple Selke winner and a great two way winger who is one of the best pkers/pk scoring threats in the league? Absolutely.

Goals are not Boston's current problem. Defense is. Malkin and Kessel would add to Boston's defensive defincencies. Both are known to hang and leave the zone early and got for the quick breakout/breakaway. Boston isn't built to play that way. Bergeron and Marchand are better fits for Boston plain and simple.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Getting Malkin and Kessel and losing Bergy and Marchand wouldnt make our team any better, and would completely disrupt any chemistry (much like it would do to the pens).

The thread isnt about acquiring Crosby.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I can't even put into words as to how much I despise threads like these lol. Serves zero purpose to anyone, the definition of a pissing contest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad