Proposal: Malkin and Kessel for Bergeron and Marchand

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Bruins lose defensive depth and Pens lose offensive depth, Bruins are the one team that can't give up more defensive players(both Bergeron and Marchand are beasts defending) IMO Pitts would probably want Marchand on a new contract and they would say yes, but the Bruins wouldn't do Pens a solid, it'd be more or less like a 6-7 player trade, both teams adding a dman(Chara for Letang) maybe a small add from Bruins, so let's mark it up at Bergy + Marchand + Chara + 3rd for Letang + Malkin + Kessel

:laugh::laugh:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Marchand and Bergeron were to ever be "traded", not likely to anyone, to Pittsburgh, the only way it would work is if a 3rd team got involved.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Pretend Pittsburgh didn't win the cup last year, would you do Malkin and Kessel for Bergeron and Marchand straight up?

But we did. Malkin and Kessel (along with Crosby) carry their lines really well allowing Pittsburgh to really stretch the opposition D. Those 3 allow us to get away with the other forwards we have and still be very competitive. We could possibly get Marchand in a years time for nothing if he wanted to come to Pittsburgh.

Even if we didn't win the cup I wouldn't. I doubt Malkin would ok that trade and he is in full control of where he plays.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I like Bergeron but really? Pens have zero interest in making any deal especially for some LW with one career year.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Pens say no, but the thought of Boston trading for Kessel made me laugh, so thank you op.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Malkin>Bergeron
Marchand>=Kessel

I can't see Pittsburgh messing with the cup roster

I'd really like to see an argument for Marchand>Kessel. Not just directed at you, that's to anyone who thinks that. Marchand in his career year barely out-produced Kessel in his worst year. I'd love Marchand here, but I think Kessel is clearly ahead of him. That could change based on next year.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'd really like to see an argument for Marchand>Kessel. Not just directed at you, that's to anyone who thinks that. Marchand in his career year barely out-produced Kessel in his worst year. I'd love Marchand here, but I think Kessel is clearly ahead of him. That could change based on next year.

Look at even strength scoring, ice time and the penalty kill. Every GM would take Marchand, it's not fantasy hockey.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Well by that I meant that their pretty even with Marchard having a slight edge. Especially recently. The thing about Kessel's game is that its purely offensive and very limited defensively. With Kessel not producing like his old self the past two seasons (excluding the playoffs)I had to give Marchard the edge.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I know that the Bergeron-Marchand-Crosby line was good at the World Cup, but sometimes, you have to let good performances die. Boston won't give up Bergeron or Marchand, and Pittsburgh certainly isn't giving up Crosby.

(Not to mention you're gutting the locker room with this trade)

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Bruins lose defensive depth and Pens lose offensive depth, Bruins are the one team that can't give up more defensive players(both Bergeron and Marchand are beasts defending) IMO Pitts would probably want Marchand on a new contract and they would say yes, but the Bruins wouldn't do Pens a solid, it'd be more or less like a 6-7 player trade, both teams adding a dman(Chara for Letang) maybe a small add from Bruins, so let's mark it up at Bergy + Marchand + Chara + 3rd for Letang + Malkin + Kessel

You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nah. Love both Marchand and Bergeron, but Malkin and Kessel are offensively gifted enough to have lines built around them and elevate complementary players, enabling us to roll 3 dangerous scoring lines even when Geno's hobbled.

Hornqvist has only been good with Crosby, and Bonino's only been good with Kessel, so we'd be reducing the Pens to a one line team. One "super line" ain't worth that even if Bergy wanted to play wing full time...which he almost certainly wouldn't.

But the Pens should pursue Marchand, since he's an impending UFA. If Boston's out of the playoffs by the deadline, maybe they could acquire him for the stretch run.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Look at even strength scoring, ice time and the penalty kill. Every GM would take Marchand, it's not fantasy hockey.

PKing is vastly overrated, anyone can learn how to kill penalties. Defensive talent is a lot easier to teach than offensive talent. Ice time is completely the decision of coaches, so that doesn't prove anything either. Marchand has outscored Kessel at ES in the last 2 years, but he got smoked before then. If Marchand outproduces Kessel at ES next season, that will be completely valid, but I'd want to see Kessel when he's not playing for the Leafs or a Johnston coached Penguins. If Marchand outscores Kessel this year when Kessel plays a full season under Sullivan, I'd say that Marchand is better than Kessel. I'm not going to say that Marchand is better until that happens though.

Well by that I meant that their pretty even with Marchard having a slight edge. Especially recently. The thing about Kessel's game is that its purely offensive and very limited defensively. With Kessel not producing like his old self the past two seasons (excluding the playoffs)I had to give Marchard the edge.

The thing is that Kessel isn't limited defensively. He doesn't make any glaringly bad mistakes defensively just as he doesn't do anything amazing defensively. He's a net neutral defensively, which is what you want out of most wingers.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
PKing is vastly overrated, anyone can learn how to kill penalties. Defensive talent is a lot easier to teach than offensive talent. Ice time is completely the decision of coaches, so that doesn't prove anything either. Marchand has outscored Kessel at ES in the last 2 years, but he got smoked before then. If Marchand outproduces Kessel at ES next season, that will be completely valid, but I'd want to see Kessel when he's not playing for the Leafs or a Johnston coached Penguins. If Marchand outscores Kessel this year when Kessel plays a full season under Sullivan, I'd say that Marchand is better than Kessel. I'm not going to say that Marchand is better until that happens though.

The thing is that Kessel isn't limited defensively. He doesn't make any glaringly bad mistakes defensively just as he doesn't do anything amazing defensively. He's a net neutral defensively, which is what you want out of most wingers.

Brad Marchand wins more puck battles in a week than Kessel does in a season.

And ask any NHL coach of the PK is overrated, they work on it three-times as much as the PP.

If 'anyone' could learn to play defense, the Leafs wouldn't have had to eat 7 years of salary to dump Kessel.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Good two way players tend to have a high hockey IQ, you can't teach that really. Just my opinion, they either have it or they don't. Marchand has it.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Bergeron>Malkin
Marchand>Kessel

You do realize that Marchand is a 1 year rental right? There's no way he's worth more than Kessel. The Pens can just sign him next season, here's what he said when asked about signing with the Penguins next year

“That’s a long ways away, but there’s a championship games here, we got to think about that first. But we’ll deal with whatever needs to be dealt with down the road, but it’s a lot of fun playing with Sid, there’s no question about that. But for now, we’ll keep that to here.”

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You do realize that Marchand is a 1 year rental right? There's no way he's worth more than Kessel. The Pens can just sign him next season, here's what he said when asked about signing with the Penguins next year

LOL what should he have said? "There is no way I will ever sign with the Pens" LOL

People read way too much into things like that.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Pretend Pittsburgh didn't win the cup last year, would you do Malkin and Kessel for Bergeron and Marchand straight up?

malkin and kessel are way more talented offensively... but Bergeron and marchand work their butts off every shift

boston has always valued hard work and grit over guys that get results every third shift even if those results add up to a bigger number on the scoreboard.

once you add in the contracts... it just doesn't work for boston.

boston has talented kids they could put into the lineup... talent isn't the biggest problem in boston... its trying to find talent that plays a 2-way game.

boston has recently traded joe thornton, blake wheeler, phil kessel, tyler seguin... so they had plenty of opportunities to keep offensive talented players if they wanted to keep offensive talented players. boston prefers 2 way players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad