OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
This just in, Knicks are gonna be playing at least one preseason game at the garden after all. They're going to play on 10/25, 3 days before the Rangers open:

Account Number: XXXXXX

Dear Subscriber,

As you likely know, the final phase of the historic, three-year transformation of Madison Square Garden is currently underway, and scheduled to be completed in late October of this year. Accordingly, the first 2013-14 New York Knicks home game will be the preseason matchup vs. the Charlotte Bobcats on 10/25/13. Therefore, the Knicks will be playing only 42 games at MSG, not the 44 games (41 regular season + 3 preseason) that were previously invoiced.

To account for this change, MSG will adjust your outstanding balance and corresponding payment schedule to reflect the new 42 game total. This change will be reflected as of today, Thursday, August 15, 2013. You can track your account activity by logging in to your My Knicks Account Manager by clicking here.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me via email [email protected] or phone 212-465-0000.

Thank you again for your support as a Knicks Season Subscriber, we look forward to welcoming you back to Madison Square Garden for the 2013-14 Knicks season.

Let's Go Knicks!

Your Knicks Account Executive

That's ridiculous. They couldn't just make the Rangers' road trip one game shorter?

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
a lot of moving parts go into making the 1230 game NHL schedule. im sure the schedule makers either knew they had to work around that date, or that the date just opened up for the knicks to use.

I just picture the two leagues getting together and using a magical computer program (MS Access?) to develop a schedule based on building availability and when teams want certain days of the week...

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I just picture the two leagues getting together and using a magical computer program (MS Access?) to develop a schedule based on building availability and when teams want certain days of the week...

There's a lot more that goes into it than any computer can probably handle on it's own. Things like a road trip in a specific division (like the Rangers on a trip to California because the three teams are nearby).

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
MSG business is well.

According to data that will be announced publicly Wednesday on the Garden’s earnings call, the Knicks’ season-ticket renewal rate climbed to more than 97 percent — the highest renewal rate for the club in more than 10 years. Last year’s renewal rate was 95 percent.

The Rangers also saw gains, with a season-ticket renewal rate of more than 92 percent — their highest in five years. Two years ago, the Rangers’ renewal rate was 85 percent. According to new Garden president Dave Howard, season tickets for both franchises will sell out shortly.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...6uGPSNZpSoK?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Knicks

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
MSG business is well.

Information like that is why it's impossible to take seriously complaints about the bridges obstructing views or "real fans" getting priced out of the building.

As much as we may dislike current ownership, I consider this to be great news for our team. The last thing we would want is financial problems. Just ask fans of the Islanders or Devils.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
MSG business is well.

5391dc.jpg

Ready4show

Oct 2, 2012
The rest will go quick, they banged out a majority of the major work. I am curious to see what the lobby entrance looks like. We have no updates on the progress of that unfortunately.

I was there this afternoon. Still not much to see or report. A floor to ceiling temporary wall has been built at the top of the stairs on the box office level that blocks any view of the work inside. The temporary box office is a small hut with two windows situated adjacent to the X-formation center (former Gerry Cosby store).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I was there this afternoon. Still not much to see or report. A floor to ceiling temporary wall has been built at the top of the stairs on the box office level that blocks any view of the work inside. The temporary box office is a small hut with two windows situated adjacent to the X-formation center (former Gerry Cosby store).

Thanks for the update!

dubidubidu

Apr 27, 2012
SI,NY 10304
I agree. I go to games to watch the game, not the scoreboard or the fans on the other side of the ice. Secondly, with the tv's they are putting on the bridges, I will probably have a BETTER view of replays (the only reason I need to look at the jumbo-tron) than I would on the center-ice scoreboard.

IF I am wrong, and the bridge really does impact my enjoyment of going to games, then I will either A) keep my tickets and simply sell them all at a nice profit, if I think there is still a profit to be made or B) cancel my tickets and just take an extra road trip. I only kept 7 games this season since my wife is due in mid-september and no idea if it is really going to be feasible to go to too many games. Neither of us have family on Staten Island, so getting a babysitter may not be easy.

Exactly, I got stuck with barstools at the top of 224 for this season (long story short my old rep left and nobody decided to let us know until I called about why I didn't get asked to renew yet). Anyway, as long as I can see all of the ice, I don't really care what I can't see. Much better than my old seats in 415 where I couldn't see behind the crease.

P.S. Congrats Dad-to-be and fellow Staten Islander! My wife just gave birth to our first kid 3 weeks ago, so I'm in the same boat as far as a very limited number of games this season. It's ok though, I'm already teaching him the goal song.. :laugh:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

I was there the other day and they actually had the doors of that wall open. You couldn't see much but you could see inside a tad. Looked like there were glass doors at the top of the stairs by the club entrance which would make sense since the new lobby is supposed to be "climate controlled."

rangerfan86

Oct 10, 2011
First time poster here. Regarding all of the speculation if the seats will be obstructed views or not, we just have to wait and see if they are. I heard reports that you won't be able too see across the building but you will still be able to see the ice no problem. We pay to see the game on the rink not across the stadium. Plus I don't think they are putting up the bridges without a plan in mind. They are investing so much money into this project that they would have to think it through to the end. So I'm pretty sure they will be no obstructed views to see the ice at all.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Plus I don't think they are putting up the bridges without a plan in mind.
They have a plan in mind all right, "let's build these gimmick bridges so we can charge a a fortune for people to sit there, and who cares if it blocks people's views in the cheap seats because they can't afford to sit anywhere else *diabolical laughter*"

rangerfan86

Oct 10, 2011
And you have the right to go or not go to games. I do agree ticket prices are getting out of control but I still love my rangers and I will go every opportunity I can

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
First time poster here. Regarding all of the speculation if the seats will be obstructed views or not, we just have to wait and see if they are. I heard reports that you won't be able too see across the building but you will still be able to see the ice no problem. We pay to see the game on the rink not across the stadium. Plus I don't think they are putting up the bridges without a plan in mind. They are investing so much money into this project that they would have to think it through to the end. So I'm pretty sure they will be no obstructed views to see the ice at all.

Where have people claimed you wouldn't be able to see the ice? That's not the issue. People are concerned because the bridges might obstruct their view of the center ice scoreboard OR be a distraction due to the people walking around above their view of the ice. I wouldn't want to deal with either of those.

rangerfan86

Oct 10, 2011
I have read that people were concerned with that.. And the center ice scoreboard really? I forgot that's what people to to the game and see is the scoreboard, oh wait no it's the ice that is the most important. And regarding people walking around above, how can that be a distraction when you are looking down at the ice not above you.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I wonder if some of the people sitting near the rink are going to be pissed that they can't see whats happening on the bridges.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I have read that people were concerned with that.. And the center ice scoreboard really? I forgot that's what people to to the game and see is the scoreboard, oh wait no it's the ice that is the most important. And regarding people walking around above, how can that be a distraction when you are looking down at the ice not above you.
Do you work for MSG? The scoreboard thing whatever. But the whole tunnel vision thing can be a major problem for some people. And the bridge will actually be below or the same height as people sitting in the last few rows. It's just that the angle of looking down at the ice from top rows that makes the actual ice from not being obstructed. Can't wait for the first time someone drops something off the bridge and hits someone down below.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So dolan should treat his employees fairly and pay some property taxes already right

Why should he pay property taxes if he has an agreement with the city that says otherwise?

Fairly? What qualifies as treating them fairly? And, how does the stock price play an influence on how fairly the employees are treated?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Do you work for MSG? The scoreboard thing whatever. But the whole tunnel vision thing can be a major problem for some people. And the bridge will actually be below or the same height as people sitting in the last few rows. It's just that the angle of looking down at the ice from top rows that makes the actual ice from not being obstructed. Can't wait for the first time someone drops something off the bridge and hits someone down below.

Sure sounds like it!

Hey now, I don't want a beer landing on my head. lol

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
Why should he pay property taxes if he has an agreement with the city that says otherwise?

Fairly? What qualifies as treating them fairly? And, how does the stock price play an influence on how fairly the employees are treated?

I see you voted for romney.

That agreement is illegal or at the very least goes against the spirit of what America is all about. The government should not give preferential treatment in these matters. I anticipate a rebuttal along the lines of the city receiving something in return to let him off the hook with the taxes thus not making it preferential. I cannot see what Dolan is giving the people of new york city in return for not paying taxes on 2 entire square blocks of the country's most expensive real estate.

His mistreatment of Cablevision employees is a well documented matter. You can look it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad