MacFarland/Landeskog press conference

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Well at least now we know that salary is going to be on LTIR forever and usable for other signings.

Now we need a Val presser where he does lines of blow in front of the camera and yells "I'M GOING BACK TO RUSSIA MOTHERf***ERS" and we can start prepping for a real run
Nuke at the presser this morning:

leonardo-dicaprio-wolf-of-wallstreet.gif

giphy.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He was there last year as well. So why wouldn't he be there? Jesus Christ folks, some of you have short memories:

Solely for the purpose of playing devil's advocate, I'm offering this up:

Landeskog met with the media in what you posted to discuss that he was undergoing a different surgery and would be out the entirety of this last season. Not exactly him just appearing "just because".

Again, I will reiterate, I do believe the most he'll say is that he's "progressing/heading in the right direction" etc, but I maintain the door is cracked for potentially bad news solely because of how "new" this surgery is not just for athletes in general, but specifically hockey players. I think the truth is, obviously, we don't really know what's going on until we are provided more information. It's not impossible that he could have been skating hard for several weeks/months on his own, but then when he started doing these little drills publicly during the playoffs that he's felt something not quite right, or that the rehab isn't going quite right, etc. I'm not saying I'm counting on that, or believing that to be a legit possibility, just that it's not entirely out of the realm of consideration either.

Reactions: dahrougem2

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Which is the bad news, him retiring or not retiring?

Giver or take some phrasing here....

Great news: "While I couldn't make it back for the playoffs, and am disappointed in that, I expect to be a full participant in training camp. Rehab is going great and I will be able to resume full hockey activities within a matter of weeks"

Not super great news, but also not outright terrible news: "Things are progressing, we'll see how it is come training camp..." (not super great because it's still ambiguous, and the Avs will then have to account for him if he can start training camp:

Bad news: "It's not quite responding right to the rehab process, so the initial timeline may not be sufficient anymore" (I would think in this scenario the Avs just plan for him to be on LTIR and deal with it if/when he comes off in-season)

Terrible news: "While I will remain hopeful to resume my career, at this point it does not seem like the knee is responding well to the surgery and rehab" (this would basically be him admitting he's LTIRetiring)

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs91 and LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Not feeling sorry for Nuke I guess (or rather, the team was on his mind first not the individual)? I'm not watching so if he said something along those lines then sorry

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is a worthless press conference

I dunno. Reading between the lines, they said A LOT about the Val situation quite frankly.

"Very disappointing phone call" as CMac put it, "Number 1 thought was that I felt so bad for the guys in that dressing room" from Landy.

Not one mention about Nichushkin being back with the team in the future.

Edit: Ok he does mention Val maybe being back after the 6 months in the next set of questions. Still, I think both initial answers are pretty telling.

Pretty big stuff IMO.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad