LW Yu Sato - Dynamo-Altay Barnaul, VHL (2020 undrafted)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Maybe with shoes.

This guy isn't anywhere near 5'11".

Like I said, the other player Aleksei Sergeev is 5’10’’.

425ccf10.png

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Chris Osgood is 5'11, and when Roy got into brawls with him Roy looks taller easily looks taller.

Osgoods 5'10", Roys around 6'1", so obviously this would be the case.

Like I said, the other player Aleksei Sergeev is 5’10’’.

425ccf10.png

Funny thing, they talked about him on Quebec radio last week and noted how he there was no way he was 5'11... Or 5'10" for that matter. Hockey heights are exagerated, nothing new here. Brink somehow lost 2 inches at the combine. Height won't be the determining factor if he makes the NHL or not.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Sato is getting praises from Roy after the first preseason game.

He scored a goal, had 3 shots on goal and 3 hits.

The Remparts have added competitive players to its roster. "If you look at [Nathan] Gaucher, [Jacob] Melanson, and even [Yu] Sato, the way they compete with the puck, that's kind of what we were looking for," says Patrick Roy.

Québec 3/Rimouski 1: à l’image du camp d’entraînement

ijuka

May 14, 2016
5 foot 9 / 162 lbs is more than enough in the NHL/hockey world today.
Not sure why so many here is worried about his measurements.
Yeah, maybe for a super skilled player. It's a factor for sure, it's really difficult to argue otherwise.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I think the hope when drafting an import is that he takes a key role with little exception. If they didn't think he's ready to contribute they wouldn't have taken him.
I wouldn't go that far. Sato's agent is Igor Larionov whom evidently has connections with the club. His son (Igor Jr.) made the cut and wasn't pivotal in the slightest.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Was he drafted by Quebec or signed by them? Seems interesting to take a flyer on a kid who was playing in a low Finnish junior level.

Drafted but the way the import draft works they might as well sign the player. There are usually agreements in place with the player before the pick is made to ensure they will be coming over.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Was he drafted by Quebec or signed by them? Seems interesting to take a flyer on a kid who was playing in a low Finnish junior level.

Both. Quebec took him in the import draft to get his rights, then recently signed him. Will definitely be interesting to see how he does, this will be a big jump in competition.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I wouldn't go that far. Sato's agent is Igor Larionov whom evidently has connections with the club. His son (Igor Jr.) made the cut and wasn't pivotal in the slightest.

The main problem with Igor Jr, despite being talented, is that he's always injured. The season he played in Quebec he missed 43 games because of 3-4 different injuries. Same story the year after with Windsor and last year with Muskegon. It probably hurt his development.

Larionov Jr was acquired as a free agent in a down year, which is very different from selecting a player in the CHL Import Draft. Most of the time, teams choose players in that draft so they can make their roster right away.

He's having a good training camp but we'll see what he can do during the real season.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Scored yesterday in Quebec's 3-1 preseason win over Rimouski. Plays again tonight. From what I was told, he was excellent.

Also, FWIW, his 1.42 P/G in BSMS isn't far off from Mantykivi (1.44) and Suni (1.57). Clearly this kid has skills and speed, and who the hell cares if he's 5'9 or 5'8? It's not 1995.

Top 150 for the draft in my rankings.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
The main problem with Igor Jr, despite being talented, is that he's always injured. The season he played in Quebec he missed 43 games because of 3-4 different injuries. Same story the year after with Windsor and last year with Muskegon. It probably hurt his development.

Larionov Jr was acquired as a free agent in a down year, which is very different from selecting a player in the CHL Import Draft. Most of the time, teams choose players in that draft so they can make their roster right away.

He's having a good training camp but we'll see what he can do during the real season.
Good points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad