LW Dmitrij Jaskin (2011, 41st overall, St. Louis)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
In fairness, you are an awfully pro-Czech poster.

I am, but I follow many nations and their up-and-coming talent outside of Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland and Russia more closely than others. I find it more interesting and easier to focus on the few rather than the hundreds pouring out of the countries that I mentioned (however I do follow many prospects from said countries, just not quite as closely).

I never said that Jaskin WOULD be NHL ready after this season as he could likely use some time in the AHL to adjust, but he could very well be NHL ready after this season. He's played professionally against men for 2 years and has now learned to play dominantly on North American ice against some of the top juniors in the world. Some people don't give him enough credit for how good he really is and the progression that he's made this season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I see nothing wrong with that.

Smitty10 has knowledge considering many hockey nations. In fairness, he said nothing wrong, just big expectations.

Thanks, guys.

I do have a bit of a Czech bias because I follow their prospects more closely than other North American posters. However, as Jeez has stated, I follow more than just the Czech Republic's juniors and try to stay as up-to-date as I can on them.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Any word, could Jaskin continue in Peoria at March ?

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
hattrick today. 39GP - 35G + 40A = 75 points

This kid is lighting it up. Looking forward to seeing him in a Blues jersey soon. I think he has a chance to make the team next year if the Blues make a trade to shed a little money to sign some other players long term. Petro, Shatty and Berglund all need long term deals.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Any word, could Jaskin continue in Peoria at March ?

As soon as his team is finished for the year he can report to Peoria of the AHL. Leafs fans are going to see Morgan Rielly get about 15-18 regular season games with the Marlies this year, assuming Moose Jaw doesn't make the playoffs. It'll be good for Jaskin though to get used to North American professional hockey before training camp this year.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
He's one of the best forwards in the Q (if not the best), no doubt. I'm talking about this season only, not potential wise, but it's not less impressing because of that. Expect him to be one of the nominees for MVP at the end of the regular season.

That's not to say he's perfect or that he's a lock to have a great professional career, but I would certainly be excited if he were a prospect for my (hypothetical) NHL team.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
He's one of the best forwards in the Q (if not the best), no doubt. I'm talking about this season only, not potential wise, but it's not less impressing because of that. Expect him to be one of the nominees for MVP at the end of the regular season.

That's not to say he's perfect or that he's a lock to have a great professional career, but I would certainly be excited if he were a prospect for my (hypothetical) NHL team.

Ya... Not sure what kind of pro he will be but like I said earlier in the thread I think he has out grown playing at the junior level. His production since the beginning of November has been really impressive and his numbers in January are bordering on absurd.

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
Here's the thing with Jaskin. I remember following the 2011 draft at the time around the WJC and before he injured his knee, there were quite a few scouts, agencies, etc that had him as high as the early teens. Then he had the knee injury and talk kind of slowed on him and I think even after he came back he was slower than before which definitely played into him falling to the 41st overall pick for the Blues. Even at the draft many thought he still could be a late first/early 2nd pick.

I think everyone kind of threw him aside after his struggles last year playing mostly on the 4th line in the czech league and still apparently dealing with knee issues.

Now he's completely healthy and quickly this season started to re-find his scoring touch and his confidence has really come back in a big way. He knows he can dominate and he's doing so every game now. I mean he's got 55 pts in his last 22 games. 2.5 pts/game is quite the pace to be going at for this long. What's even more ridiculous is his 25 pts in 8 games since coming back from a strong WJC performance. I can't wait to see what he does come playoff time.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He's currently on an 11 game point streak since returning from the WJC. 13 goals , 17assists for 30 points ! He totally dominating the Q like Radulov did in 2006. Was just name the QMJHL's 1st star of the week back to back. MVP of the QMJHL and CHL,imo. Marian Hossa 2.0

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Looks like the Blues have another high end prospect on their hands. They really have done a GREAT job at drafting and developing players since '03:

Backes
Polak
Oshie
Perron
EJ(Turned into Shattenkirk/Stewart)
Berglund
Ian Cole
Eller(Turned into Halak)
Pietrangelo
Jake Allen
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Jaskin
Rattie

There are others that Im not including(Stempniak, McClement, Nikitin, Woywitka and Im sure there are others that Im forgetting)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Looks like the Blues have another high end prospect on their hands. They really have done a GREAT job at drafting and developing players since '03:

Backes
Polak
Oshie
Perron
EJ(Turned into Shattenkirk/Stewart)
Berglund
Ian Cole
Eller(Turned into Halak)
Pietrangelo
Jake Allen
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Jaskin
Rattie

There are others that Im not including(Stempniak, McClement, Nikitin, Woywitka and Im sure there are others that Im forgetting)

Blues have to depth and high end talent to give the Oilers a lot of trouble over the next generation if they can get many of their prospects to turn out. Going to be interesting to see Blues/Wild/Oilers in 5 years.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
He has a strong chance at the CHL MVP for the year, just stupid good

He's gotta be... Simply amazing, for CHL Standards ... Not surprising considering he played pro before ...

Can't think of where the Wildcats would be without him.

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
Impressive numbers, but in all honesty, he's just the type of a player that should dominate in juniors (big & strong, basically definition of "man amongst boys"). I have to wonder why is he still playing CHL. Cant be the best option, especially when earlier has already played against men.

Then again I'm just speculating and am not even very familiar with him, only saw him @ WJC's.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
It's funny when I saw him a while back he looked slow and sluggish like he didn't really care that much. But he seams to have picked it dramatically this season.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
It's funny when I saw him a while back he looked slow and sluggish like he didn't really care that much. But he seams to have picked it dramatically this season.

To be fair, players with leg injuries often look like this. Knees, high ankles sprains, etc. take a long time before returning to normal.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Impressive numbers, but in all honesty, he's just the type of a player that should dominate in juniors (big & strong, basically definition of "man amongst boys"). I have to wonder why is he still playing CHL. Cant be the best option, especially when earlier has already played against men.

Then again I'm just speculating and am not even very familiar with him, only saw him @ WJC's.

Good question. I think since his rights were picked up in the CHL Import draft that he falls under the same restrictions as other 19 year olds playing in major juniors (i.e. he can't play in the AHL.)

But I'm not positive. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can either confirm or correct this.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
The CHL/NHL agreement that applies for what players can play in the AHL only applies for players that the time they are drafted. So Jaskin could play in the AHL if he's signed and if St. Louis wants him there.

With that said, it's almost completely unprecedented to pull a player like Jaskin out of juniors halfway through the season just to send him to Peoria.

He'll be considered an over-ager next year at the QMJHL level and will no doubt be signed and assigned to the AHL instead. Which makes perfect sense for both the Blues and the player.

As has been mentioned above, he can also sign an ATO with Peoria after his junior season comes to an end.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The CHL/NHL agreement that applies for what players can play in the AHL only applies for players that the time they are drafted. So Jaskin could play in the AHL if he's signed and if St. Louis wants him there.

With that said, it's almost completely unprecedented to pull a player like Jaskin out of juniors halfway through the season just to send him to Peoria.

He'll be considered an over-ager next year at the QMJHL level and will no doubt be signed and assigned to the AHL instead. Which makes perfect sense for both the Blues and the player.

As has been mentioned above, he can also sign an ATO with Peoria after his junior season comes to an end.

Plus, Peoria is terrible and even if he outclasses his competition in the Q, it could easily be better to let him continue to build his confidence and lead his team there. It seems like the AHL is frequently seen as a better development league than it really is - particularly for skilled forwards. How is Jaskin going to learn to use his teammates at the NHL level when his linemates are bound to have the hands and hockey sense of a brick? Sure, it's a step up in speed, defense, and goaltending, but that's no guarantee of proper development.

Use the Schwartz*

He'd easily be the best player on the Rivermen if he keeps this up. If he continues his almost 3 ppg pace that he's on since the WJs, he might break the 'Cats single season point record. It's 114 I think.

Not likely, but would be pretty cool considering he'd only play 57 games.

Question for Wildcat fans. Does DJ project to be more of a goal scorer or a play maker?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad