LW Cole Eiserman - Boston Uni (2024, 20th, NYI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
BU is stacked for his recruiting class. Those BU-BC games are going to be like the Michigan-Minnesota games. Now Gauthier, Celebrini, Lane Hutson, and the NTDP first line from last season all have to stay an extra year to make those games extra good.

Reactions: Corso

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I brought up in the Hagens thread whether his Minnesota commitment would stick. Not surprised at all to see him heading back home. I am surprised to see him going to BU and not BC. Only because there is a good chance Celebrini is not at BU when Eiserman gets there, whereas Hagens would definitely be at BC. BU should be loaded though nonetheless.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
It's just too large a jump in competition to go straight from the USHL to the NHL. As far as I know Jack Hughes is the only one to ever do it, and he notably struggled his rookie year, even if the potential was obvious.

I'd be shocked if Eiserman doesn't play a year in college.

chi1999

Jul 13, 2023
Celebrini has his brother at BU as well. Lot of reason to stay another year, though was same option for Fantilli.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Celebrini has his brother at BU as well. Lot of reason to stay another year, though was same option for Fantilli.
Age could be a factor for Celebrini who just turned 17. He'd be only 18 years, 4 months in Oct. 2024. By comparison, Cooley is already 19 and Fantilli will be 19 in two weeks. A reunion with Eiserman might also factor into a decision which is a long way off.

Eiserman, who cited a desire to play closer to home, was at Shattuck two years and is in his 2nd at NTDP. If a one-and-done at BU, 24-25 likely would be a last chance to have his family get to see him in person all season.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It's just too large a jump in competition to go straight from the USHL to the NHL. As far as I know Jack Hughes is the only one to ever do it, and he notably struggled his rookie year, even if the potential was obvious.

Yes, Jack Hughes is the only US NTDP alumnus to go directly from the program to the NHL. However, to be fair, the other top prospects from the program -- Patrick Kane, Jack Eichel and Auston Matthews -- were all late birthdays, so each was ineligible for the NHL draft after their U18 NTDP season. Each went straight to the NHL after being drafted.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018

Cole Sillinger?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

To counter that, it's pretty standard for a top 2 pick to play NHL right away as a forward:

2010 - Seguin NHL
2011 - Landeskog NHL
2013 - Barkov NHL
2014 - Reinhart 9 games and whl
2015 - Eichel NHL (was late bday already played college)
2016 - Laine NHL
2017 - Patrick NHL
2018 - Svechikov NHL
2019 - Kakko NHL
2020 - Byfield AHL (covid)
2021 - Beniers college
2023 - Carlsson TBD

More often than not a top 2 fws goes straight to the nhl. You can argue it's a big jump but a bunch of those guys went chl straight to NHL which would basically be the same thing.

I would say IF he is taken in the top 2 there's a pretty good chance he could play NHL at 18

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
To counter that, it's pretty standard for a top 2 pick to play NHL right away as a forward:

2010 - Seguin NHL
2011 - Landeskog NHL
2013 - Barkov NHL
2016 - Laine NHL
2017 - Patrick NHL
2018 - Svechikov NHL
2019 - Kakko NHL
2021 - Beniers college
2023 - Carlsson TBD

More often than not a top 2 fws goes straight to the nhl. You can argue it's a big jump but a bunch of those guys went chl straight to NHL which would basically be the same thing.

I would say IF he is taken in the top 2 there's a pretty good chance he could play NHL at 18
I think he'll be ready, but this tells me that a lot of forwards picked in the top 2 probably weren't ready for the NHL. I think it arguably hurt the development of a few of these guys.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His goal scoring is among the best in recent drafts. If he wasn’t so one-dimensional, I think he’d be a lock to go first. No one in this draft is that good. It’s hard to pass up that rate of goal-scoring, but that’s all he does, so it becomes easier.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's just too large a jump in competition to go straight from the USHL to the NHL.
The USNDTP isn't really a USHL team, not properly. The U-18 team plays a bunch of games against NCAA competition.

It's one of those "just so happens" things that a lot of the highest USNDTP prospects have been late birthdays - Kane, S. Jones, Eichel, Matthews all fit that bill, all were the top of their cohort and considered big time prospects.

Hughes is kind of the exception in that regard as an "early" birthday whose draft year was immediately after his last USNDTP season. The others all had gap years in there. Only think I'll say is I don't think Hughes ever made a college commitment. Presumably, had he not made the NHL, he might have played for Mississauga who held his OHL rights (and he was a GTHL product).

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalers Fan

chi1999

Jul 13, 2023

2010 - Seguin NHL
2011 - Landeskog NHL
2013 - Barkov NHL
2016 - Laine NHL
2017 - Patrick NHL
2018 - Svechikov NHL
2019 - Kakko NHL
2021 - Beniers college
2023 - Carlsson TBD

Doesn't hurt to do college then just sign at the end of the year. Beniers just won the Calder after returning to Michigan, while paying his draft year in college, not in the USHL. Being from the same state, I'm sure they're familiar with each other. But if Eiserman isn't ready for the NHL and signs, it'd be QMJHL. College would provide better competition than that. Hard to develop imo if you play for 4 different teams throughout the year like Shane Wright

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
His goal scoring is among the best in recent drafts. If he wasn’t so one-dimensional, I think he’d be a lock to go first. No one in this draft is that good. It’s hard to pass up that rate of goal-scoring, but that’s all he does, so it becomes easier.

one timing pucks from hagens is so difficult

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He has a good size but it's not like he's a giant, either. He's 5'11 and not much bigger than the other top forward prospects on his team (Aidan Park, Macklin Celebrini). It's something to certainly consider, along with many other things when talking about 14 year old prospects, but it hasn't affected him thus far this season as others are closing the size gap.
Three years later and still 5'11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad