Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Bahl makes more sense in a Rangers series, Luke makes more sense in a Isles/Florida series. But Bahl isn't coming out at this point with the way he's playing. I'll have a stroke if we see Brendan Smith in a playoff game over Luke tho

Drivingrain

Jan 17, 2021
Bahl makes more sense in a Rangers series, Luke makes more sense in a Isles/Florida series. But Bahl isn't coming out at this point with the way he's playing. I'll have a stroke if we see Brendan Smith in a playoff game over Luke tho

Lindy's postgame presser comments re Smith was a bummer for Luke fans imho. I came out of that convinced that Lindy will give Smith will get the nod if ever that decision needs to be made.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I was strongly pro-Luke when Bahl was pretty bad and I thought our #6 option was Smith.

Bahl has been really good for weeks though, so I'm not champing at the bit for hughes to play in the playoffs. He'll prolly see something if we play long enough, because dudes get hurt etc. but no need to force it anymore.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lindy's postgame presser comments re Smith was a bummer for Luke fans imho. I came out of that convinced that Lindy will give Smith will get the nod if ever that decision needs to be made.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, it's still the wrong decision which Lindy has been making a ton of them regardless of the results of this season.

Reactions: Drivingrain

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, it's still the wrong decision which Lindy has been making a ton of them regardless of the results of this season.
I mean, maybe. It depends. What do we need that 6th defenseman to do that game? How well has Luke performed up to that point? Etc etc. I could see playing Smith over Hughes being the right choice.

Reactions: devilsblood

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't know how you can say it's the wrong decision at this point because Smith wouldn't even be playing if everyone's healthy anyway.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean, maybe. It depends. What do we need that 6th defenseman to do that game? How well has Luke performed up to that point? Etc etc. I could see playing Smith over Hughes being the right choice.

Right which is why I said I'd probably prefer Bahl over Luke depending on the series matchup. There's no way I'm playing Brendan Smith over Luke in any situation, sorry.

I don't know how you can say it's the wrong decision at this point because Smith wouldn't even be playing if everyone's healthy anyway.

Because Smith sucks? At least Bahl has been very good of late and has a future in NJ. Neutering yourself with a worse skating defenseman regardless if the latter is a 20 year old dman is not a sound strategy. At the worst, you're prepping Luke to be a regular for 23-24 by giving him said time over Smith in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Right which is why I said I'd probably prefer Bahl over Luke depending on the series matchup. There's no way I'm playing Brendan Smith over Luke in any situation, sorry.

Because Smith sucks? At least Bahl has been very good of late and has a future in NJ. Neutering yourself with a worse skating defenseman regardless if the latter is a 20 year old dman is not a sound strategy. At the worst, you're prepping Luke to be a regular for 23-24 by giving him said time over Smith in the playoffs.
But Smith isn't the one Hughes has to leap frog. Smith isn't going to regularly play over Siegenthaler. The left side is pretty much set in stone as is the right side.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
But Smith isn't the one Hughes has to leap frog. Smith isn't going to regularly play over Siegenthaler. The left side is pretty much set in stone as is the right side.

As of right now, yeah because Bahl is playing really well. We don't know how Bahl plays to end the year + playoffs. And Lindy will probably play Smith over Luke in the playoffs if Bahl sucks or wants a change down in a series.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Luke is playoff depth in case someone goes down or if we feel we need more offense depending how the series is going.

Bahl is a playoff starter to me right now.

Bahl is a playoff starter to Ruff too.

Ruff said he played Smith last game because he’ll be an injury away from playing in the playoffs and he didn’t want him sitting out for 3 weeks before the playoffs started.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here is a question though. If Luke comes in these last two games and instantly improves the PP. What do you do?
Get excited for next year? Personally I think too much is already baked into this season to be making any kind of significant changes heading into the playoffs ...

Just my opinion but, you don't tinker too much with the guys that got you here heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Here is a question though. If Luke comes in these last two games and instantly improves the PP. What do you do?
latest

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Does Luke play on Tuesday? I think a lot depends on Mondays outcome of the Rangers and Canes games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
These two hardly look alike at all. Jack is definitely better looking.

You can tell their brothers after hearing Luke talk though, they have almost the same voice.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
You prioritize even strength results over PP2. Whether Luke plays or not to start in the playoffs will largely be dictated by even strength play. And he more than likely has limited chance to actually start regardless IMO.

Reactions: devilsblood

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
You prioritize even strength results over PP2. Whether Luke plays or not to start in the playoffs will largely be dictated by even strength play. And he more than likely has limited chance to actually start regardless IMO.
I actually think Luke would improve our 5on5 game quite a bit offensively, his transition game is that good already. I’m not sure who I take out for him though.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I actually think Luke would improve our 5on5 game quite a bit offensively, his transition game is that good already. I’m not sure who I take out for him though.
Yes, he would improve the transition game assuming we are not taking out Severson, but I can't see him being better than anyone defensively.

It could be a net positive but it would be risky. Not a risk you can take in game 1 or even possibly 2.

Reactions: Devs3cups

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But he brings an unpredictability in terms if mistakes. And that is the last thing a coach wants in the playoffs from a d-man.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Every player makes mistakes. Guys who have played less then 3 NHL games will, generally, be more prone to them.
While I agree with this, Luke, right now could be the 2nd best offensive and transition D-man on our team. Without even playing a game, I'm sure he could have more impact than Bahl (and a few others that won't be taken out) offensively and transitionally.

So sure, there's definitely some risk with his D-game coming in, but his offensive upside and abilities are that high and should lead to more chances. It's a good problem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad