OT: Lounge (Read OP).

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Tell me if Im wrong. I think the Internet has added a lot of great stuff to the world. However I see so much hate and fighting online. Has social media really amplified that? So much anger online.
Look up the 'dead internet' theory. It basically says that a majority of online content/engagement (likes/comments/follower count/etc.) is created by bots and interacted with by other bots. This loop drives up engagement which pushes all these different algorithms to say "Wow, there's a lot of views and comments on this post, this is a popular bit of content then" and then shows that content to actual humans. I'm sure there is a decent amount of negativity around the internet, those bots have to learn their patterns from something out there, but I'd venture a guess that the lion's share of things we see online is fake bait that makes everyday users believe that all the comments/content are actually coming from other real humans.

The flipside is that the internet/social media has given *everyone* a voice, even the darkest corners of humanity. There's undoubtedly hateful people using social media, but I believe that they find and generally stick to their hateful echo chambers.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Look up the 'dead internet' theory. It basically says that a majority of online content/engagement (likes/comments/follower count/etc.) is created by bots and interacted with by other bots. This loop drives up engagement which pushes all these different algorithms to say "Wow, there's a lot of views and comments on this post, this is a popular bit of content then" and then shows that content to actual humans. I'm sure there is a decent amount of negativity around the internet, those bots have to learn their patterns from something out there, but I'd venture a guess that the lion's share of things we see online is fake bait that makes everyday users believe that all the comments/content are actually coming from other real humans.

The flipside is that the internet/social media has given *everyone* a voice, even the darkest corners of humanity. There's undoubtedly hateful people using social media, but I believe that they find and generally stick to their hateful echo chambers.
Do you recall what happened when AI Dinesh began replying to AI Gilfoyle ?!? :laugh:

Reactions: Ben Grimm

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fluid situation. lots going on
buys w/election and all kinds of stuff

will be posting an update on sale of my Strat guitar w/2 1950s, 1 1960s pickup

All interested start saving yr $$$, be in touch...

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
So sorry for your loss and hope you’re doing well after surgery, hang in there!
It's been a rough 7 weeks. Im healing and watching my kids simultaneously while trying to keep my business afloat. My wife has been traveling a lot since July for work. I lost the full use of my left hand from one of the procedures that I had at Cornell. I'm in constant pain. It's worse when I sit on a couch or recliner. I'm doing my best to smile and power through it, but 2 of the past 3 weeks I've been watching a 12 and 3-year-old for 6 straight days by myself and I am f***ing done.

Ben Grimm

Rock n roll ain't noise pollution 🎸
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... 2 of the past 3 weeks I've been watching a 12 and 3-year-old for 6 straight days by myself and I am f***ing done.
I spent the first 2 weeks of October w/o talking to another human in person, I'm a father of an adult, and I would love to have 2 kids at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad