OT: Lounge (Read OP).

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Tell me if Im wrong. I think the Internet has added a lot of great stuff to the world. However I see so much hate and fighting online. Has social media really amplified that? So much anger online.
Look up the 'dead internet' theory. It basically says that a majority of online content/engagement (likes/comments/follower count/etc.) is created by bots and interacted with by other bots. This loop drives up engagement which pushes all these different algorithms to say "Wow, there's a lot of views and comments on this post, this is a popular bit of content then" and then shows that content to actual humans. I'm sure there is a decent amount of negativity around the internet, those bots have to learn their patterns from something out there, but I'd venture a guess that the lion's share of things we see online is fake bait that makes everyday users believe that all the comments/content are actually coming from other real humans.

The flipside is that the internet/social media has given *everyone* a voice, even the darkest corners of humanity. There's undoubtedly hateful people using social media, but I believe that they find and generally stick to their hateful echo chambers.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Look up the 'dead internet' theory. It basically says that a majority of online content/engagement (likes/comments/follower count/etc.) is created by bots and interacted with by other bots. This loop drives up engagement which pushes all these different algorithms to say "Wow, there's a lot of views and comments on this post, this is a popular bit of content then" and then shows that content to actual humans. I'm sure there is a decent amount of negativity around the internet, those bots have to learn their patterns from something out there, but I'd venture a guess that the lion's share of things we see online is fake bait that makes everyday users believe that all the comments/content are actually coming from other real humans.

The flipside is that the internet/social media has given *everyone* a voice, even the darkest corners of humanity. There's undoubtedly hateful people using social media, but I believe that they find and generally stick to their hateful echo chambers.
Do you recall what happened when AI Dinesh began replying to AI Gilfoyle ?!? :laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fluid situation. lots going on
buys w/election and all kinds of stuff

will be posting an update on sale of my Strat guitar w/2 1950s, 1 1960s pickup

All interested start saving yr $$$, be in touch...

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Today's my birthday and I'm going to a show (Fontaines DC) in Brooklyn tonight, super amped! The next 4 hours can't go by fast enough. At least I have enough work to keep me busy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad