OT: Lounge (Read OP).

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Interesting take. What are you feeling about options?
Listen. I give people who doodle and play f*** around in the markets whatever they are all the credit in the world.
That shits worse than crack.
And ive done f***ed up enough times.
My take.
You chase rabbits
You end up in holes.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Listen. I give people who doodle and play f*** around in the markets whatever they are all the credit in the world.
My take.
You chase rabbits
You end up in holes.
Sounds just like another form of gambling.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Interesting take. What are you feeling about options?
Options are just selling stock insurance to others. Do your research, get the right windows, avoid global pandemics, and you'll find that over 80% of the options you put out don't get exercised and you just got yourself money. But if you don't do your research and just put options out willy nilly, yeah that is totally gambling. Why are you doing anything related to stocks if you aren't doing the research???

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Options are just selling stock insurance to others. Do your research, get the right windows, avoid global pandemics, and you'll find that over 80% of the options you put out don't get exercised and you just got yourself money. But if you don't do your research and just put options out willy nilly, yeah that is totally gambling. Why are you doing anything related to stocks if you aren't doing the research???
I was just curious about his thoughts. 😊

In terms of research I totally agree with you.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sounds just like another form of gambling.
It can be for some people but has also been a way for millions of people to grow their retirements 5-10% a year for decades when approached in the right disciplined manner.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My take.
You chase rabbits
You end up in holes.
People shouldn't f around with the markets or anything. That can be very risky but if it doesn't have to be as dangerous as crack. Take the bond market for example. For the last 1-2 years people have been able to buy and hold treasury bills till maturity for an extremely safe return of 5%.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I view picking stocks and derivatives as a form of gambling. And against whales with much better information. I stick to indexes and target date funds. The upside is limited but so is the downside.
That is wise. You stick to what you feel comfortable doing. That in my opinion is the difference between educated investing and gambling.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
That is wise. You stick to what you feel comfortable doing. That in my opinion is the difference between educated investing and gambling.
Thats why ive just stuck to my simple fidelity index funds.
If the market crashes like that we all go broke together
The only individual stocks ive purchaced since covid is TSLA and NVDIA.
Blackrock just started this ethereum fund that I may dip my toe into. I really have to look into it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thats why ive just stuck to my simple fidelity index funds.
If the market crashes like that we all go broke together
The only individual stocks ive purchaced since covid is TSLA and NVDIA.
Blackrock just started this ethereum fund that I may dip my toe into. I really have to look into it.
Fidelity index funds are probably a good plan. So are index ETFs like the SPY or VOO. NVDA has done incredibly well up till the last month so you probably made a killing.

Last edited:

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Fidelity index funds are probably a good plan. So are index ETFs like the SPY or VOO. NVDA has done incredibly well up till the last month so you probably made a killing.

My young former neighbor used to tell me to buy bitcoin at $3000. I did not. Now it trades around $60,000. Problem for me is I have an economics background. All I see is the Dutch Tulip craze. My current neighbor buys bitcoin in small amounts. When I asked his dad why bitcoin is worth $60,000 now from $3,000 he just shrugged and said supply and demand. I'm looking for an intrinsic reason. Otherwise it is just a billion dollar game of musical chairs to me. Its value as a currency at this point in time is horrible to me. Not only is it not easy to buy things with but if you use it to buy a pizza that pizza could end up costing $4 to $140 depending on the month. Just my opinion since I do not pay much attention to anything but the bitcoin price.
Since Im a gex X ferrel child all my formal education is from reading books.
This modern math dont make much sense to me.
I understand the ideology.
I just dont know how they can make it work.
Theres a lot in between that needs to get worked out.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have no idea who participated, and I don’t want to draw undue attention to an activity that you all wanted to keep quiet, but I have to extend my immense gratitude and surprise to everyone on these boards for the generosity and compassion you’ve shown me. Not only speaking materially, it is an absolutely huge boost to my spirits during these difficult times to have a group of people genuinely care and go out of their way to do something for a virtual stranger. It means a lot and you all have my thanks.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Since Im a gex X ferrel child all my formal education is from reading books.
This modern math dont make much sense to me.
I understand the ideology.
I just dont know how they can make it work.
Theres a lot in between that needs to get worked out.
I was a math major and modern math is beyond greek to me....hell, they lost me when they started that new way of doing long division back in the late '60s-early '70s.

• Haha
Reactions: CasusBelli

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I watched a mini-doc on a brief history of Olympic doping scandals the other night. Really highlights the "If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough" saying.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Sometimes I really question the intelligence of the people I work with.

1723742080404.png

I moved to GA in 2017 (I'm from the north) and when you get on the interstate on ramp there are giant red signs saying you're going the wrong way. It's like something from Monty Python.

Last edited:

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Does anyone know if there are any good pizza places near St. Augustine, FL?

I think someone posted that there was a good place around here a little while ago but don't remember where.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad