OT: Lounge (Read OP).

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I’ve been going through a divorce since February. That’s why I barely existed on the boards since around New Years. I just lost my job because I didn’t have child care for Henry when his mother would leave him with me Fri-Tues and I’d end up either trying to tele-work, taking a day off or try bringing a toddler out in the field with me on Fri or Mon. My job provided a vehicle so she also has my car. So I’m now single, jobless and carless.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I’ve been going through a divorce since February. That’s why I barely existed on the boards since around New Years. I just lost my job because I didn’t have child care for Henry when his mother would leave him with me Fri-Tues and I’d end up either trying to tele-work, taking a day off or try bringing a toddler out in the field with me on Fri or Mon. My job provided a vehicle so she also has my car. So I’m now single, jobless and carless.
Sorry dude ugh

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
This type of weather was one of the many factors why I couldn't leave Vegas soon enough. I put up with that for 10 years...now I despise the summer. Sigh...
At least that was dry heat. I'm in Charleston for a quick getaway and it's truly brutal with heat AND humidity.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This type of weather was one of the many factors why I couldn't leave Vegas soon enough. I put up with that for 10 years...now I despise the summer. Sigh...

The heat in Texas has me wondering if I’m actually in hell at this point with all going on.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
The heat in Texas has me wondering if I’m actually in hell at this point with all going on.
I like the heat and hate the cold which is one of the main reasons I moved to AZ. That being said, I have my limits so I treat the summers here a bit like I did with the winters back in NY/PA...Reverse hibernation I guess?

The sheer amount of sun here is what really makes it difficult. Rarely do you have any meaningful cloudiness let alone rain although some of it has to do with the erratic nature of the monsoon seasons.

The first full summer I was here (2022) wasn't too bad because the monsoon was very active and we had a good amount of rain whereas in 2023 we had hardly anything and it was stupid hot.

This year has been really hot again although we have had a little more rain but not enough.

I'm a bit of a weather junkie so forgive me if I start going off on tangents haha.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
At least that was dry heat. I'm in Charleston for a quick getaway and it's truly brutal with heat AND humidity.
When it's 110˚+ for 40-50 days straight like it was on many occasions in Vegas, it's more like a dry heave. People literally start to lose their minds. If it topped out around 100, it would've been tolerable. 100 in Vegas beats 85 here on the east coast any day. Central CT is exceptionally sticky with all the rivers & lakes. If I stay here long term, I plan on moving very close to the shore where the humidity is less oppressive.

@80s Kid has the right idea...I used to treat summers like winter as well, but it's hard when I was working in my shop without A/C which I did on too many occasions. Even at midnight the temps would still be above 100. f*** that noise, I don't miss that at all.

Reactions: 80s Kid

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Things will get better. I think a lot about the lowest point in my life and how different EVERYTHING is now. Take care of yourself and try to make the best decisions you can in the circumstances rather than go even more off the deep f***ing end.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
When it's 110˚+ for 40-50 days straight like it was on many occasions in Vegas, it's more like a dry heave. People literally start to lose their minds. If it topped out around 100, it would've been tolerable. 100 in Vegas beats 85 here on the east coast any day. Central CT is exceptionally sticky with all the rivers & lakes. If I stay here long term, I plan on moving very close to the shore where the humidity is less oppressive.

@80s Kid has the right idea...I used to treat summers like winter as well, but it's hard when I was working in my shop without A/C which I did on too many occasions. Even at midnight the temps would still be above 100. f*** that noise, I don't miss that at all.
I'll be visiting NE Florida in August so I'll get to compare that with Phoenix soon.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to find relief around Vegas but in Arizona, there are options. There's basically a giant cliff that cuts through the middle of the state called the Mogollon Rim. I can drive about an hour north and go from around 1,000' to over 5,000' (Payson). Not too much farther and you're over 7,000' (Flagstaff) where it’s much cooler.

I was previously near Philadelphia for over 15 years and Long Island before that. I'm sorry but the winters are just too long for my liking. That and it rained too much around Philly. While this was not normal, we had around 70" of rain in either 2017 or 2018 and I remember not seeing any dry ground that year except when it was frozen.

Now Phoenix is at the opposite side of the spectrum and I wish it rained a bit more in the summer but I believe the sunshine is good for your overall health and well-being as long as you don't overdo it.

It's all preference and everywhere has tradeoffs. I will say that the dry air definitely makes higher temps more comfortable but once you start going above 105F, it starts to feel like an oven.

My thermometer has been over 120F (in the shade) on a handful of days each summer since I moved here but as Boris Zubov pointed out, the nighttime temps are still hotter than many days back in the northeast. Lows of 90F+ are not abnormal and lows in the 80s are normal but it's only for a couple hours until you're back into triple digits.

It's different, for sure, but if you're willing to hunker down from June-August, the rest of the year is very nice. September is still hot but days are shorter and May is pretty toasty but still cools off enough at night for relief.

TLDR - Phoenix is incredibly hot in the summer but relief is available in higher elevations not far away and the weather is beautiful the rest of the year. Sunlight is a good thing.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'll be visiting NE Florida in August so I'll get to compare that with Phoenix soon.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to find relief around Vegas but in Arizona, there are options. There's basically a giant cliff that cuts through the middle of the state called the Mogollon Rim. I can drive about an hour north and go from around 1,000' to over 5,000' (Payson). Not too much farther and you're over 7,000' (Flagstaff) where it’s much cooler.

I was previously near Philadelphia for over 15 years and Long Island before that. I'm sorry but the winters are just too long for my liking. That and it rained too much around Philly. While this was not normal, we had around 70" of rain in either 2017 or 2018 and I remember not seeing any dry ground that year except when it was frozen.

Now Phoenix is at the opposite side of the spectrum and I wish it rained a bit more in the summer but I believe the sunshine is good for your overall health and well-being as long as you don't overdo it.

It's all preference and everywhere has tradeoffs. I will say that the dry air definitely makes higher temps more comfortable but once you start going above 105F, it starts to feel like an oven.

My thermometer has been over 120F (in the shade) on a handful of days each summer since I moved here but as Boris Zubov pointed out, the nighttime temps are still hotter than many days back in the northeast. Lows of 90F+ are not abnormal and lows in the 80s are normal but it's only for a couple hours until you're back into triple digits.

It's different, for sure, but if you're willing to hunker down from June-August, the rest of the year is very nice. September is still hot but days are shorter and May is pretty toasty but still cools off enough at night for relief.

TLDR - Phoenix is incredibly hot in the summer but relief is available in higher elevations not far away and the weather is beautiful the rest of the year. Sunlight is a good thing.
The only relief in Vegas is Mt Charleston. It's nice for hiking, but otherwise there's not much else besides one bar that has outdoor seating.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1721581878593.png

Here are some of my favorite celebrity marriages. Ryan Reynolds and Scarlet Johansson didn't make the list because they lasted 2-3 years.

Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: 55 hours. No, not George Costanza.

Nicolas Cage and Erika Koike: 4 days

Tracey Edmonds and Eddie Murphy: 14 days

Jeremy Thomas and Drew Barrymore: 39 days

Kris Humphries and Kim Kardashian: 72 days

Nicolas Cage and Lisa Marie Presley: 107 days

Amelia Warner and Colin Farrell: 121 days

Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock: 122 days

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Esposito: 122 days

Kenny Chesney and Renee Zellweger: 128 days

Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman: 129 days

Tom Green and Drew Barrymore: 163 days

Cris Judd and Jennifer Lopez: 218 days - I forgot she dated Diddy but who hasn't she dated.

Jim Carrey and Lauren Holly: 309 days

Elisabeth Moss and Fred Armisen: 312 days

Ojani Noa and Jennifer Lopez: 313 days

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What is the going rate for a safe but inexpensive hotel in NYC these days? Any name recommendations? A friend is going and seems to have no idea what they will cost.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What is the going rate for a safe but inexpensive hotel in NYC these days? Any name recommendations? A friend is going and seems to have no idea what they will cost.

I'd love to see people start posting these questions in the NYC thread.

Reactions: tlk

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

I thought my wife oppressive, then I discovered Charleston in July.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
They're both oppressive.

My GF has been in Atlanta for work since April...she no longer has any desire to live in the south long term.
I couldn't live in Charleston. I can't take the heat. The portions here at restaurants are also huge. Went to a tapas place last night and the meaning of small plates got lost on translation I think.

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I prefer 4 months heat (90-100 not 118 Arizona) and great weather for 8 months than living with cold, slush, snow etc. Its like I told my aunt its hot in the summer in NY/NJ as well. Besides most people just go air conditioned house to air conditioned car when its hot like people go from heated house to heated car in NY winters. Difference is no snow to shovel or ugly brown slush. Much easier on cars in the south imo.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I prefer 4 months heat (90-100 not 118 Arizona) and great weather for 8 months than living with cold, slush, snow etc. Its like I told my aunt its hot in the summer in NY/NJ as well. Besides most people just go air conditioned house to air conditioned car when its hot like people go from heated house to heated car in NY winters. Difference is no snow to shovel or ugly brown slush. Much easier on cars in the south imo.
That's true to a point...any car living too close to the coasts of Florida/Georgia/ the Carolina's can be affected by the salty air. Same out west In California, Oregon, Washington but not as bad because they have way less humidity.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That's true to a point...any car living too close to the coasts of Florida/Georgia/ the Carolina's can be affected by the salty air. Same out west In California, Oregon, Washington but not as bad because they have way less humidity.
I have not seen rusty cars in the south too often. Almost always the rusty cars I have seen have been from up north. Maybe because of snow and salted roads?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You wouldn't really notice until the car is up in the air. Salty climates affect the suspension, exhaust systems & frames more than the body.

You are right that is often where I see the rust (underside/lowest point of panels and exhaust). That is why I wondered about snow. Also possible that people in southern states use their garages a lot more than people in northern states. Even on some of the car buying/rebuild shows they speak about rust in northern state cars.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The road salt is terrible for the cars, and the runoff is even worse for the environment. When they have tons of unused salt in March which they end up spreading for rain is the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Last night in Charleston and just came back from Halls Chophouse. While it wasn't the best steak I've ever had compared to some in NY and DC, I have to say the service was the best ever. It was my wife's birthday and multiple staff members came by and made her feel the most important person in the room. The manager came by with champagne. True Southern hospitality. Even when we declined dessert because we were stuffed to the gills already, they included a cheesecake with our takeaway boxes and shook our hands and congratulated her on her bday on the way out the door. That's something, can't recommend enough.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Last night in Charleston and just came back from Halls Chophouse. While it wasn't the best steak I've ever had compared to some in NY and DC, I have to say the service was the best ever. It was my wife's birthday and multiple staff members came by and made her feel the most important person in the room. The manager came by with champagne. True Southern hospitality. Even when we declined dessert because we were stuffed to the gills already, they included a cheesecake with our takeaway boxes and shook our hands and congratulated her on her bday on the way out the door. That's something, can't recommend enough.
I had a Chickfila spicy filet and I thought it was pricey lol. :D

Charleston has some really great food. Is Halls on Kings street?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad