Post-Game Talk: Losing sucks but we’re still tied 1-1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I really don't think they're purposely trying to be fancy Dan's.
A combo of Dallas D, blocking shots, and lanes, Ott, and most importantly, injuries (IMO they both have some), have hampered them. We've been clamoring for McD to shoot well before the POs started. Pretty sure there's a reason he's looking off so often.
Yep. There was a first period passing cycle play where Drai rather than passing further just took the puck inside getting the best angle he could and took a shot. In first period there were multiple net front pressure situations with the Oil banging puck in front of net. I don't get what people are watching sometimes. Overall the Oilers are playing a pretty simple game of getting pucks to the net and or shooting.

Dallas tightened up coverage and played better positionally in 2nd and 3rd periods. Dallas block a lot, cover passing lanes and turn pucks a lot when their players are in positions.

Its actually Dallas overpassing and their fans even onto that. Robertson was jeered once as he passed off into nowhwere from the slot. Dallas do this a lot actually. Being a non elite team the Stars figure they have make the perfect passing plays into the net. They don't take whats there.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I wouldn't mind Perry getting back in next game. He's missed like 3 fames in a row so his body should hopefully be less banged up after the shit kicking that it took in the first 2 rounds. Foegele can sit a game. If Perry sucks then put him right back in. What's the use of depth if you don't use it when guys are struggling?

Undecided on sitting Foegele. Definitely agree about Perry. This type of game is where he excells

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Still not getting the gist of this. You said it was an amazing accomplishment for the Oil to get a split in Dallas. You now say its "significant" as if the Oilers don't belong. I expected the Oilers to get a split in Dallas and they did.

The bolded is of no relevance whatsoever to the current. The players on the ice, most, weren't even born then. So you say thats relevant. but Dallas current win % at home being poor isn't? lol

Dallas have more trouble playing their game at home due to two things.

1)Ice is shit. this negates their speed/passing game. Slows down supreme speed of some of their players.

2)Dallas, a team without elite forwards sometimes get caught up as they feel pressured to create something at home for the home fans.

Dallas are much more successful on road. Playing on the road suits the Stars.

Was just responding to the wording, its common for teams to get results in Dallas. In playoffs its been the majority of games played in Dallas, they lose.
You talk endlessly about Dallas. We get it. They're a really good team. Pundits have also carried the water about their depth, goaltending, defense corp. Parse my words ... amazing, significant... fine. Not sure why this matters but whatever. The point remains the Oilers won a huge (amazing, significant, critical, important, essential) game in a tough building and could have won two. Team defense and goaltending have held up. Penalty kill is locked in. A lot of important elements to win at this time of year. Elements that have betrayed the Oilers in the past. Not sure why you would infer from this that I might think the Oilers don't belong.

The ice is the same for both teams. I doubt that Dallas are mental midgets pressured to somehow entertain their fans versus focus on winning hockey games. Tons of experienced big game players on that team and their glass banger fans just want W's. You don't have to imagine things up to rational a series split in Dallas. We also all know their playoff results against Vegas and Colorado, the past two Cup winners. We all know the pattern of how those series played out. Oilers get a split in Dallas, it's a big deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’m ok with Henrique and Perry coming in. Perry in for Carrick (nothing against Carrick)

And Henrique in for McLeod Foegle or Ryan (hard to pick lol)
I'd keep Carrick in, we need to keep wearing down their D especially since our top guys are playing hurt.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Holloway
Henrique-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I wouldn't mind Perry getting back in next game. He's missed like 3 fames in a row so his body should hopefully be less banged up after the shit kicking that it took in the first 2 rounds. Foegele can sit a game. If Perry sucks then put him right back in. What's the use of depth if you don't use it when guys are struggling?
Rotating some players in creates some hunger and inserts fresh legs. The Oilers in McDrai era have for some reason been reluctant doing it much. Most teams will rotate some guys, get some fresh blood in the game.

Even in Connor Brown we see sitting him a couple games in playoffs it probably helped him to do more and get closer to his best contributions. Coaches aren't the ones out there mucking in playoffs and so perhaps its not foremost in coaches minds how fresh legs make a difference. I find that former player coaches understand this better.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yep. There was a first period passing cycle play where Drai rather than passing further just took the puck inside getting the best angle he could and took a shot. In first period there were multiple net front pressure situations with the Oil banging puck in front of net. I don't get what people are watching sometimes. Overall the Oilers are playing a pretty simple game of getting pucks to the net and or shooting.

Dallas tightened up coverage and played better positionally in 2nd and 3rd periods. Dallas block a lot, cover passing lanes and turn pucks a lot when their players are in positions.

Its actually Dallas overpassing and their fans even onto that. Robertson was jeered once as he passed off into nowhwere from the slot. Dallas do this a lot actually. Being a non elite team the Stars figure they have make the perfect passing plays into the net. They don't take whats there.

Totally agree.
Lots of talk about not going to the net or net front presence. Christ I saw 3 or 4 scrums that were an inch or two of goals after banging away.
And Holloway should have had a pini with #9 on it when he made that rush.

Rotating some players in creates some hunger and inserts fresh legs. The Oilers in McDrai era have for some reason been reluctant doing it much. Most teams will rotate some guys, get some fresh blood in the game.

Even in Connor Brown we see sitting him a couple games in playoffs it probably helped him to do more and get closer to his best contributions. Coaches aren't the ones out there mucking in playoffs and so perhaps its not foremost in coaches minds how fresh legs make a difference. I find that former player coaches understand this better.

Its a winning strategy. Perhaps look no further than our starting goalie and his play after sitting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
You talk endlessly about Dallas. We get it. They're a really good team. Pundits have also carried the water about their depth, goaltending, defense corp. Parse my words ... amazing, significant... fine. Not sure why this matters but whatever. The point remains the Oilers won a huge (amazing, significant, critical, important, essential) game in a tough building and could have won two. Team defense and goaltending have held up. Penalty kill is locked in. A lot of important elements to win at this time of year. Elements that have betrayed the Oilers in the past. Not sure why you would infer from this that I might think the Oilers don't belong.

The ice is the same for both teams. I doubt that Dallas are mental midgets pressured to somehow entertain their fans versus focus on winning hockey games. Tons of experienced big game players on that team and their glass banger fans just want W's. You don't have to imagine things up to rational a series split in Dallas. We also all know their playoff results against Vegas and Colorado, the past two Cup winners. We all know the pattern of how those series played out. Oilers get a split in Dallas, it's a big deal.
4-5 in playoffs at home is not a "tough buildling". lol In what way is it difficult for playoff opponents to play in Dallas?. Dallas prefer to play on the road. Its this one point you seem not to follow. You make comments about mental midgits and yet it was you that made some strange point about "historically the Oilers have trouble with Dallas" Several of the players didn't even know that history before the series and weren't even born. Of course none of the current Oilers would even be impacted by what the historical record between teams had been. They wouldn't even have looked at that.

I called Oilers in 7 before series started and nothing I've seen thus far changes that. I said it was imperative for the Oilers to get the game 1 win, absolutely necessary because Dallas have been shit in game ones, poor at home, and didn't have Hintz or Hakanpaa in lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Totally agree.
Lots of talk about not going to the net or net front presence. Christ I saw 3 or 4 scrums that were an inch or two of goals after banging away.
And Holloway should have had a pini with #9 on it when he made that rush.

Its a winning strategy. Perhaps look no further than our starting goalie and his play after sitting.
Yep. Several times in game we just rushed net. Was definitely part of our approach. Much of the seaosn it has been. Hyman hasn't scored 54 goals in regular season and 11 in playoffs by accident. He's one culmination of our getting pucks to net stratagem.

I wonder if some posters just watch highlights or on their smartphone and then post up on what they think occurred.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hopefully this dj was just very uninformed.

If the Dallas players have a sense of what that song means, there is no way they would have been happy with that.
I fully expect balls out efforts from our guys now.

The DJ really has no excuse in my opinion. The Stelter’s have been featured on the NHL website with various articles from time to time and Joey was a well known name throughout the league. I hope that woke up some sleeping beasts within our guys.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Apparently the DJ in Dallas played La Bamba at the end of the game.
Of course Valens and LaBamba are huge in Texas which obviously you would know. Why wouldn't they play it? I'm not getting the background of the controversy. Not seeing the backstory anywhere here.

What did the DJ say?

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
As close as the Oilers will get to calling out the league.

“I think the standard is the same for both teams, I’m not saying it’s unfair for us. But we would like the same standard.”. Knob
I think he meant same standard between regular season and playoffs (which has never happened and Knob should obviously know that).

However, between the lines he obviously thinks the reffing is bs and actively neuters one of the Oilers main weapons.

Reactions: BlackDogg

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Apparently the DJ in Dallas played La Bamba at the end of the game.

Ohhhh. Hmmm. Yeah could be a slight. Hopefully just a dig without knowing background. I think it would be a good slam if not for the history.

Of course if it was known, then that's a bit classless.
Thanks for the update!

Edit***
As Drivesaitl just mentioned, the song is a legendary industry in Texas, akin to Skinnards Sweet Home Alabama to that state.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I think he meant same standard between regular season and playoffs (which has never happened and Knob should obviously know that).

However, between the lines he obviously thinks the reffing is bs and actively neuters one of the Oilers main weapons.
Seemed to me KK was getting at the volume, i'e amount of penalty calls in series, in playoffs, being low, and the Oilers being great in special teams obviously he'd want more calls.

Very bright man to infer or allude something without having to say it or spell it out. He walked a good walk with those comments. Pauses and not saying something also communicate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Ohhhh. Hmmm. Yeah could be a slight. Hopefully just a dig without knowing background. I think it would be a good slam if not for the history.

Thanks for the update!

Edit***
As Drivesaitl just mentioned, the song is a legendary industry in Texas, akin to Skinnards Sweet Home Alabama to that state.
Yep. Its also probable, as another poster had mentioned that the playing of LaBamba at end was a playful swipe at the Oilers playing it, and without knowing why the Oilers play it. I doubt Dallas DJ would be aware why we play it. There would be countless events, tragedy, or significant personal passings in Dallas we would know nothing about. So I think its reasonable to surmise this is just done in not knowing.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015

Yep he's saying it in a way that he can't be fined

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Fresh legs are imperative this late into the playoffs Oilers have absorbed a ton of hits in these playoffs 1st 2 rounds Kings and Canucks defense were slamming Oiler forwards hard and steady

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yep. Its also probable, as another poster had mentioned that the playing of LaBamba at end was a playful swipe at the Oilers playing it, and without knowing why the Oilers play it. I doubt Dallas DJ would be aware why we play it. There would be countless events, tragedy, or significant personal passings in Dallas we would know nothing about. So I think its reasonable to surmise this is just done in not knowing.

My thoughts too. If no history with song, it would have been a great slam

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I fully expect balls out efforts from our guys now.

The DJ really has no excuse in my opinion. The Stelter’s have been featured on the NHL website with various articles from time to time and Joey was a well known name throughout the league. I hope that woke up some sleeping beasts within our guys.
Don't take this the wrong way but this is the fan passioned response. I think sometimes, and I know I can be, we jump the gun before considering all the details. I'm impassioned myself that way at times. The Oilers players sure don't need motivation to play in the Conference Finals, they know what this means.

I continue to think it was not a personal slight, but maybe theres more details other than just playing the song?

Gonna interject as well that I rarely ever read NHL articles, I find most of the NHL site stuff annoying, only thing I look at there is stats so that its also completely possible people would not be aware of the Ben or Joey specifics.

The one last factor is that Edmonton fans following hockey tend to really immerse in any minutiae . This would certainly not be the case in Dallas where the stars are relative minnows in the sporting and entertainment industry there. Dallas fans wouldn't even know who Draisaitl is dating (moment of levity) Shame on them, heh, for not knowing who this sublime beauty even is. heh

1716746105747.png

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Of course Valens and LaBamba are huge in Texas which obviously you would know. Why wouldn't they play it? I'm not getting the background of the controversy. Not seeing the backstory anywhere here.

What did the DJ say?
They know that’s the Oilers win song so the DJ played it last night. If it was just any old song the Oilers played when they win, who cares. But we all know the meaning why the Oilers specifically play La Bamba.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the update!

Edit***
I’ll include @Drivesaitl in this as well...but have the Stars ever used it as a “win” song before last night?

Whether it was just in good fun or deliberate slap in the face, all I’m saying is I hope the players take it personally and use it as even more motivation to shitkick the Stars.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Companion post. For a laugh, not the only time I'll mention it but I was watching a film classic, Marcello Mastroianni film "Come as you are" (no double entendre on my part, thats the title. Was watching this film with the beautiful Nastassja Kinski, daugther of the most famous German actor Klaus Kinski, and in German this acting family is huge, unparalleled and it immediately struck me that Celeste Desjardins evokes this classic actress from Germany who Leon and family would be well aware of.

To wit Kinski: (What a beauty, as is Celeste) Note the similar look.

Tmi for a hockey board but we can often be unconsciously attracted to visions of beauty based on our exposures to it. Thus beauty being in the eyes of the beholder.

Now its even possible Celeste Desjardins patterned her look after Nastassja or some other similar film beauties. Roman Polanski was also infamous for his attraction to similar look starlets as well and adored Nastassja.

Yeah way too much but somebody might like this. just an aside from hockey.

1716746612653.png

Last edited:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Don't take this the wrong way but this is the fan passioned response. I think sometimes, and I know I can be, we jump the gun before considering all the details. I'm impassioned myself that way at times. The Oilers players sure don't need motivation to play in the Conference Finals, they know what this means.

I continue to think it was not a personal slight, but maybe theres more details other than just playing the song?

Gonna interject as well that I rarely ever read NHL articles, I find most of the NHL site stuff annoying, only thing I look at there is stats so that its also completely possible people would not be aware of the Ben or Joey specifics.

The one last factor is that Edmonton fans following hockey tend to really immerse in any minutiae . This would certainly not be the case in Dallas where the stars are relative minnows in the sporting and entertainment industry there. Dallas fans wouldn't even know who Draisaitl is dating (moment of levity) Shame on them, heh, for not knowing who this sublime beauty even is. heh

View attachment 875991
Drai bucked the trend to the cookie cutter blondes most players seem to date/marry. She's something else...he

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad