OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Which is worst? Angels trade deadline or Ducks Free Agency? 🫣

The Angels’ free agency on its own is worse than the Ducks free agency, and that’s before we get into the fact that Martin Madden’s crew is infinitely better than the Angels scouting staff across 3 different general managers

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
EDIT with this. Fitting that on one of the most pivotal failures of a day in franchise history, the man who Arte went to bat for more than any other signing since Pujols cements himself as perhaps the worst contract in team history

Now that is an interesting topic, which is the worst signing that Arte ever made. Rendon certainly would be one possibility, also Hamilton is probably the signing that would get my vote. Ugh.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1
Oct 18, 2011
Which is worst? Angels trade deadline or Ducks Free Agency? 🫣
The Ducks are far superior as an organization in terms of how it's run, unlike Arte MorDumbass they atleast recognized the status quo isn't good enough and it's time to reload the organization with young talent, our owners have seemed to invest in things like infrastructure whereas the angels are constantly rated as being in the stone age still.

Arte has completely destroyed my enjoyment of the team it's to the point where I feel like he's trying to major league the team so he can move it

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Now that is an interesting topic, which is the worst signing that Arte ever made. Rendon certainly would be one possibility, also Hamilton is probably the signing that would get my vote. Ugh.

I’d probably give it to Hamilton as well, but the last two years of his antics have made this decision a lot more uncomfortable

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I’d probably give it to Hamilton as well, but the last two years of his antics have made this decision a lot more uncomfortable
I can see that, although not paying attention outside the actual games (which I don't even do any more) has made Rendon more tolerable. Hamilton is probably the worst signing, although Gary Matthews Jr. is up there.

Special mention for Vernon Wells who wasn't a signing but was probably the worst contract in the game when Moreno allowed Scioscia to ditch Napoli for him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

IMO, the worst signing is Hamilton for several reasons. Back in the Hamilton FA era, signing a player of his caliber would cost a team their 1st round pick. Signing Hamilton cost the Angels their first round for 2013. In today's era, teams no longer lose a first round pick.

1. Owner Arte, not GM Dipoto, signed Pujols as a FA in 2011. That would cost the Angels their 2012 first round pick. But Arte came away with $3 billion for a 20-year contract with Fox Sports West with the signing of Pujols.
2. Signing Hambone cost the Angels their 2013 first round pick. That's two, consecutive first round picks lost due to owner Arte, which significantly impacts the collection of farm team talent. That means in Dipoto had only two 1st round picks in four drafts.
3. The Angels were lacking pitching talent in their system and at the MLB level.
4. GM Dipoto traded for starting Ace pitcher Greinke in-season to avoid costing the Angels their 2013 first round pick.
5. The Angels gave up a lot of talent to acquire Greinke, which included future all-star SS Jean Segura. All that talent traded away was wasted.
6. Greinke wanted $25 mil per year, but owner Arte wanted to give that $25 mil per year to slugger Hamilton.

Last year's TDL, the Angels should have traded away Ohtani and replenish the Angels' farm system. Owner Arte did not want to do it and also knew he would not try to retain Ohtani. That's pretty messed up of an owner who is unwilling to help his organization in order to looked good momentarily by not trading away Ohtani.

Then this year's TDL, the Angels could have added more talent. But I dunno who to blame, Arte or GM Minisian... especially after Minisian couldn't sign the 3rd round pick. WTF?!

Need a new owner and GM.

Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
IMO, the worst signing is Hamilton for several reasons. Back in the Hamilton FA era, signing a player of his caliber would cost a team their 1st round pick. Signing Hamilton cost the Angels their first round for 2013. In today's era, teams no longer lose a first round pick.

1. Owner Arte, not GM Dipoto, signed Pujols as a FA in 2011. That would cost the Angels their 2012 first round pick. But Arte came away with $3 billion for a 20-year contract with Fox Sports West with the signing of Pujols.
2. Signing Hambone cost the Angels their 2013 first round pick. That's two, consecutive first round picks lost due to owner Arte, which significantly impacts the collection of farm team talent. That means in Dipoto had only two 1st round picks in four drafts.
3. The Angels were lacking pitching talent in their system and at the MLB level.
4. GM Dipoto traded for starting Ace pitcher Greinke in-season to avoid costing the Angels their 2013 first round pick.
5. The Angels gave up a lot of talent to acquire Greinke, which included future all-star SS Jean Segura. All that talent traded away was wasted.
6. Greinke wanted $25 mil per year, but owner Arte wanted to give that $25 mil per year to slugger Hamilton.

Last year's TDL, the Angels should have traded away Ohtani and replenish the Angels' farm system. Owner Arte did not want to do it and also knew he would not try to retain Ohtani. That's pretty messed up of an owner who is unwilling to help his organization in order to looked good momentarily by not trading away Ohtani.

Then this year's TDL, the Angels could have added more talent. But I dunno who to blame, Arte or GM Minisian... especially after Minisian couldn't sign the 3rd round pick. WTF?!

Need a new owner and GM.
Ohtani made Arte a lot of money at the end of last year. The failure to trade him revealed the true priority of Moreno’s organization. Minasian is someone who would take the job and follow orders. The best in the business wouldn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad