London Knights 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Somebody else on here already said Nov 1 is a realistic timeline for the Musty situation to be resolved. He would need a month of games to get in shape and get his timing back before the WJC.
Yes his window is short for WJC

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
So will Zhakarov play for the Knights this year? He looks similar to Semenov. Both tall lanky forwards.

Regarding Semenov I know he is signed, but playing at Omaha. Is he loaned there?

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
So will Zhakarov play for the Knights this year? He looks similar to Semenov. Both tall lanky forwards.

Regarding Semenov I know he is signed, but playing at Omaha. Is he loaned there?
Before they deleted the post, they said zhakrov will be playing for his junior team this year. Semenov is loaned to Omaha, visa is taking ages

Reactions: LDN

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Section 111
Nope @crowncarrier and @Otto unfortunately you were close but both of you are wrong and we found out the answer…..

“In an interview, DeGray said Smith is expected to miss six to eight weeks with an upper-body injury. Leonard had cleared waivers but remained a part of the London Knights’ 50-man roster. With a sudden need for a veteran d-man, and with Leonard’s good reputation around the league, DeGray said he acted quickly to acquire the blueliner.”
Never knew that OHL clubs can hold up to five OA's on their roster until Nov. 15. I knew thew could have 4 up until trade deadline on Jan. 8. Learn something new every day. So I'm assuming Willmore is still Knights property until Nov 15th then since he cleared waivers.

This makes zero sense lol!
Please explain how it makes zero sence....enlighten me please. There's a rule in place to allow players to play in the AHL opposed to playing in the OHL. What other reason would there be besides taking their development to the next level. If you're going to say something makes zero sense please provide your logical thinking along with it rather then the cop out lol BS.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Heard the list Musty has is
London
Saginaw
Erie
It seems like most signs point to Erie being the front runner.
Although if this is in fact the list I think the longer it drags out the more likely its London.
More of a NHL club says enough is enough to Sudbury and then Mark follows up with ok so here is what we are paying..

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
I've been saying it all along. It was not because of his 2 goals. He needs to learn at a higher level. OHL will not help him as much as playing in the AHL. OHL could actually hurt his development. True we all know the Hunters are great at helping develope and have done fantastic work with other players but when your as good as Halttunen you can get away with things in the OHL that you will not get away with in the AHL. Do I want him back....YES.....is it better fir his development as a pro....NO.
Respectfully, I disagree that he is ready for Pro. Yes, part of his game is ready. But, I think he has a lot he could still improve on, to be ready for the pro game. His skating, his defensive play & his 5 on 5 play. Those being the key points, all things of which Dale is known for improving.

Now with that said, I have not seen him play since the Memorial Cup. He could have worked his tail off this summer and improved those areas of his game. So, my assessment is based on what I saw last season. But, In my opinion, Halttunen is getting a lot of praise for being too good for the O, when I think he has a lot to work on and an extra year showing he can dominate all ends of the game in the O, could be a really good thing for his development.

But, we are all entitled to our opinion and at the end of the day, none of us make the big bucks to make those tough decisions. But my gut, says there is still a chance he comes back, at minimum, I think he will be playing the WJC for Finland.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I figured Haltunen was gone in January and posted it. JMO.
There is no reason why he can't work on things he needs to improve on playing in the AHL. JMO.
The pro teams work on development as well. As long as he is not overwhelmed and still contributing not sure why they'd send back. JMO.
Edit......I'm a huge fan of Hunter ownership and leadership at the OHL but the AHL/ NHL has more resources and as much as they challenge players to play a pro style I think the focus is that much more intense at higher levels (depending on the team lol)

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
As most of us expected... Sudbury is doing the league a disservice dragging this out..
For me it was nasty as soon as the bush league press release came out.
Your post (which you are entitled too) is an absolute joke. You have no clue. This situation is created by player and agent and if you read the so called media release in response he is welcomed to come back and play until a trade is orchestrated that is fair.
I’m guessing the Wolves will not give this player away for pennie’s on the dollar. Would you accept low ball offers on a Cowan trade if he went home unexpectedly and demanded a trade. Spew dis information all you want. That’s your uninformed right. But your wrong and if the shoe was on the other foot I would expect Hunters to do the same.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
Got himself hurt while working out with the Canadian Men National Team in the fall of 1998, he was going to be at both the Olympic with the men team and the WJC with the U20. Did not play a single meaningful game on record except for some exhibition games with University squads when he got hurt in one of them. He returned to the Knights in February 1999 from his injury
The Olympics were in February 98 not the fall. I call bull shit on the whole thread. There is no way an NHL team would allow a player to play exhibition games with university squads

He played games at the world junior championships in January of 1999 and won a silver medal which would mean meaningful games

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Your post (which you are entitled too) is an absolute joke. You have no clue. This situation is created by player and agent and if you read the so called media release in response he is welcomed to come back and play until a trade is orchestrated that is fair.
I’m guessing the Wolves will not give this player away for pennie’s on the dollar. Would you accept low ball offers on a Cowan trade if he went home unexpectedly and demanded a trade. Spew dis information all you want. That’s your uninformed right. But your wrong and if the shoe was on the other foot I would expect Hunters to do the same.
Players ask to be moved out of situations that either never or no longer work for them all the time in the OHL. It happend just a couple weeks ago to Owen Sound. Dale DeGray got it dealt with without any drama and moved on. The as you put it " so called media release " is an embarrassing temper tantrum that will at best effect Sudbury's ability to attract future top end talent and the longer and stupider it gets it will more likely negatively impact the leagues ability as a whole.
With the NCAA, USHL and other places as viable options for top tier players to play if I'm any of the other 19 OHL Franchises I have very little patience with this situation.

Reactions: dirty12

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
In London if a player wants out they are traded…not always for a giant return either

Reactions: sbpointer

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Players ask to be moved out of situations that either never or no longer work for them all the time in the OHL. It happend just a couple weeks ago to Owen Sound. Dale DeGray got it dealt with without any drama and moved on. The as you put it " so called media release " is an embarrassing temper tantrum that will at best effect Sudbury's ability to attract future top end talent and the longer and stupider it gets it will more likely negatively impact the leagues ability as a whole.
With the NCAA, USHL and other places as viable options for top tier players to play if I'm any of the other 19 OHL Franchises I have very little patience with this situation.
I think the Wolves organization has treated and continues to treat Mr. Musty very well. His stats and first round selection is evidence to that. Barlow situation is same but largely different, Barlow gave his GM months of notice. Our situation is best described as a blind side hit that no one knew about. No issue obligating this request but how player/agent dropped the surprise news has left the team in an unfavourable bargaining position.
Why can’t for once the player be responsible for their actions and decisions? We all want what’s best for the player, but the interest of the team and organization under these circumstances is the priority. Furthermore, teams on the player trade list need to step up and make a fair offer.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Heard the list Musty has is
London
Saginaw
Erie
Accurate with Erie as preferred destination. I don't see Erie and Saginaw having players and pick packages to do a fair or close to market value deal. London does and a proposed trade offered up on this thread would probably get the deal done. If the list was opened up to contending Eastern Conference teams (if the Wolves would even deal with them) its likely something is completed by now
In London if a player wants out they are traded…not always for a giant return either

That's also true but any trade request from London isn't leaked which makes it easier for Mark Hunter to do business. I admire that he finds a place for players to play who are sitting in the stands with London who will play a lot somewhere else

Reactions: rve24

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The type of player that asks to be traded out of London isn't worth a giant return. Musty is, and the Wolves shouldn't settle for less than what he's worth. It was Mustys choice to stay home. Actions have consequences.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Correct me if I’m wrong but what exactly is the point of paying a premium or even market value for Musty from London’s perspective?

If I’m London, I want to acquire another center that consistently wins draws and plays a strong two way game. A strong two way defender would also be ahead of Musty on a hypothetical list of potential acquisitions.

I don’t really care about trades as much as some here. But I just don’t see Musty making a ton of sense for London, unless it’s a discounted deal.

Reactions: Otto

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Tides have shifted. Players (or should I say agents/advisors/pro team/family) have more leverage now than ever. Kids are excersizing that leverage. Just the way it is. A team can hold out as long as they choose (that's their right, in this case Sudburys) but it's gotta be a fine line between getting what u want and not burning bridges or gaining a reputation that may hinder future negotiations......
Tough spot for Sudbury but the longer it goes on, the worse it is for all parties.
I'm sure the deal gets done and maybe for Sudburys asking price.....but I'll guess the return isn't as high end as they first asked for.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I think the Wolves organization has treated and continues to treat Mr. Musty very well. His stats and first round selection is evidence to that. Barlow situation is same but largely different, Barlow gave his GM months of notice. Our situation is best described as a blind side hit that no one knew about. No issue obligating this request but how player/agent dropped the surprise news has left the team in an unfavourable bargaining position.
Why can’t for once the player be responsible for their actions and decisions? We all want what’s best for the player, but the interest of the team and organization under these circumstances is the priority. Furthermore, teams on the player trade list need to step up and make a fair offer.
Notice really doesn't matter. Deals can be made in a day/week/weeks and it's dragging on. The situations are similar just not the same?.....notice which really shouldn't effect much. Is what it is and management has to deal with it.
If Sudbury treated him so well why does his camp want out? Why not keep developing and get ready for the pros if they did so much for him? That's the question I haven't seen an answer to. He orobly goes high in NHL draft regardless of where he played in the O.
Maybe Mustys want to leave is legit and based in what's best for him? I don't know.
As much as kids wanna win, the ultamite goal is the NHL......not the OHL Cup in MM, not a league championship or Memorial Cup....thise those are important to most players, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is the show and so few get the championships at lower levels. In fact more kids turn pro without lower lever titles than do have them.
And players are often held accountable for their decisions, happens all the time once signed. Those who have enough leverage use it, just the same as teams do.
Hopefully Sudbury gets a decent return and doesn't bite it's nose off in spite of itself.

London has had players refuse to be moved at a deadline......similar in that they exercised their rights for their own interests just like Musty is. Don't know the kid at all or if he is on LKs radar but he is using the system as is. Who blinks first........I think Sudbury will feel the heat more than Musty camp. JMO

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Notice really doesn't matter. Deals can be made in a day/week/weeks and it's dragging on. The situations are similar just not the same notice which really shouldn't effect much. Is what it is and management has to deal with it.
If Sudbury treated him so well why does his camp want out? Why not keep developing and get ready for the pros if they did so much for him? That's the question I haven't seen an answer to. He orobly goes high in NHL draft regardless of where he played in the O.
Maybe Mustys wantyto leave is legit and based in what's best for him? I don't know.
As much as kids wanna win, the ultamite goal is the NHL......not the OHL Cup in MM, not a league championship or Memorial Cup....thise those are important to most players, the pot of gold at the enfmd of the rainbow is the show ad so few get the championships at lower levels. In fact more kids turn pro without lower lever titles than do have them.
And players are often held accountable for their decisions, happens all the time once signed. Those who have enough leverage use it, just the same as teams do.
Hopefully Sudbury gets a decent return and doesn't bite it's nose off in spite of itself.
Great question: Why? Not that it’s relevant, he will be traded but really everyone in Sudbury had no idea why. The Wolves want the best for all their players including Musty. He is too good to be sitting, OHL fans deserve to watch this elite talent so here hoping for a resolution soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad