London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightsfan90

Sep 17, 2014
Good chance he isn’t back as I have said many times.

Real good d man not much to prove at the OHL level- best all around d man in the OHL this year.

Parekh may have won it for the CHL but it’s cause of the offensive numbers he put up which is the highest they’ve been in years. I’d still take Mateychuk and Dickinson over him.

Wish they had awards like the Q. Best defensive forward, best defensive d man etc.
No disrespect but as a fronts fan I think you shouldn't be sitting here saying he's NHL ready when he isn't. He rushes the puck in the d zone sometimes putting the puck in the slot and on an opponents stick. He isn't NHL ready anyone who watched Dickinson night in and night out would know this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knights77

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
No disrespect but as a fronts fan I think you shouldn't be sitting here saying he's NHL ready when he isn't. He rushes the puck innthe d zone sometimes putting the puck in the slot and on an opponents stick. He isn't NHL ready anyone who watched Dickinson night in and night out would know this.
With an NHL training camp you don’t think they would tighten that up? He would 1000% play AHL this coming season if eligible but since the agreement between the CHL and NHL he isn’t allowed to. So it’s NHL or OHL where he has already proven himself. What’s the point in them sending him back to the O’ where he was probably already the best d man this year as a 17 year old?

• Haha
Reactions: Knights77

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
With an NHL training camp you don’t think they would tighten that up? He would 1000% play AHL this coming season if eligible but since the agreement between the CHL and NHL he isn’t allowed to. So it’s NHL or OHL where he has already proven himself. What’s the point in them sending him back to the O’ where he was probably already the best d man this year as a 17 year old?
No he wouldn't. I mean he physically could but it wouldn't be beneficial for him or any 18 year old not named Celebrini.

Reactions: Knightsfan90

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
There is an argument that he was the best 17 yr old D in the league but not the best D in the league. Even on his own team George was better. Donovan would be another better D. There are alot in front of him as best D in the league.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
There is an argument that he was the best 17 yr old D in the league but not the best D in the league. Even on his own team George was better. Donovan would be another better D. There are alot in front of him as best D in the league.
George and Donovan are both playing AHL hockey next year though that’s my point. He’s on the level of those guys and they’re 2 years older.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
He's not as good as either of those guys. He will be, but not yet. Anyway at the end of the day it is up to the pro teams to decide who is ready to move up.
Not as good as either of those guys?? I'd take Dickinson any day over those two at the skill level they are all at.

EDIT: I miss read about George. Thought you were talking about Glavin....no idea why I thought that.

So in saying this. George is a bit ahead of Dickinson and that's just because of experience. Dickinson was struggling a bit toward the end of the season but once playoffs came and after the second round I found him to be the must reliable guy next to George.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Having Celebrini, Smith, Dickinson, …outside chance of Musty enter the NHL in the same season would make second and third contract negotiations unnecessarily complicated. Dickinson will very likely be back for one more year under the watch of arguably the greatest jr coach of all-time.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I'd think both those players are just as, probly more pro ready at whatever level than Dickinson, as of the end of last season.

Any1 here know the last few D to make the jump from the O to the show year they were drafted? Gotta be pretty rare. Just doesn't happen often.
I'll never say 100% but I'd wager a good chunk of cash he is back.

Cowan on the other hand......kid is D+2 coming up and will bust his azz to force the Leafs hand.

Reactions: Fastpace

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'd think both those players are just as, probly more pro ready at whatever level than Dickinson, as of the end of last season.

Any1 here know the last few D to make the jump from the O to the show year they were drafted? Gotta be pretty rare. Just doesn't happen often.
I'll never say 100% but I'd wager a good chunk of cash he is back.

Cowan on the other hand......kid is D+2 coming up and will bust his azz to force the Leafs hand.
Ekblad, and I think Chyhrun. Dickinson came into the league billed as the best since Ekblad

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Just curious, depends on who comes back I guess. But if we get Dickinson, Bonk, maybe Halttunen or Cowan back etc. we could go for another Championship run.
Dickinson 100%, Bonk 70%, Cowan 65% after the WJC and a few NHL games. But sadly can’t see how Halttunen finds his way back to us in London? He developed massively as the year progressed with the Knights last season. Long playoff run with pressure filled games. IMO he is a slam dunk in the AHL next season after maybe 6 games in the show to start off? Also can’t underestimate the optics as a GM of returning a kid to his OHL team when he is AHL eligible?

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Dickinson will very likely be back for one more year under the watch of arguably the greatest jr coach of all-time.
I was just going to add for the folks suggesting he has little to prove in the OHL that if he can’t play in the AHL (as we all know he can’t) London is the best (I know ONLY of course) option. If for no other reason then the impact both Dale and Mark have on NHL careers. Best case scenario under the circumstances for both Sam and Sharks really.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Ekblad, and I think Chyhrun. Dickinson came into the league billed as the best since Ekblad
Thanks! Just doesnt happen often with D.
Ekblad got ES as a D, check that kids birth certificate lol. Was so physically ahead of his peer group. Chychrun if I recall was a MM teammate of Mete? What a MM D pairing.
I think we will see Dickinson work on and play with a little more patience/pose in his own end with the puck. And play with a little more Jam over the ice.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
58. London Knights - Jesse Nurmi - Wing
Looking to replace Ruslan Gazizov and Max McCue on the Wing, the Knights opt for Islanders draft pick Jesse Nurmi. He's an older player than you typically see selected in the Import Draft, so this is probably just for a single year before he turns pro. But, on the flip side, Nurmi should come in and be an immediate impact player in the top six. He's a high energy, skill guy, so that's right up Dale Hunter's alley.
Report: From McKeen's Hockey European video scout Steven Graves:
"Nurmi, a fourth round selection of the New York Islanders in 2023, is a complementary winger that does his best work when he has more talented linemates surrounding him. He loves to go into the trenches for pucks and is able to have a massive impact on the game thanks to his relentless motor and forechecking ability. Nurmi would be a great addition for the Knights."

118. London Knights - Gleb Semenov - Center
A big center out of Russia, Semenov didn't get a ton of ice time in the MHL this past year. This one feels like insurance in case they lose Kasper Halttunen to Finland or the AHL. Or, if he performs well and gets drafted this year, it could be a player to stash for next season, as London has done in the past.
Report: From McKeen's Hockey European video scout Steven Graves:
"Semyonov is a massive 2007 born centreman that is a hound with loose pucks in front of the net and has a touch of skill and vision that he uses to effectively find teammates for good scoring opportunities. He is a man amongst boys out there at times and can straight up dominate the physical side of the game at this level. There is no guarantee he comes over but there is hope Semyonov can be a great net front presence for this Knights team and a guy that isn’t afraid to get physical."

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Dickinson 100%, Bonk 70%, Cowan 65% after the WJC and a few NHL games. But sadly can’t see how Halttunen finds his way back to us in London? He developed massively as the year progressed with the Knights last season. Long playoff run with pressure filled games. IMO he is a slam dunk in the AHL next season after maybe 6 games in the show to start off? Also can’t underestimate the optics as a GM of returning a kid to his OHL team when he is AHL eligible?
Let’s be honest, I am not certain Kasper Halttunen will be back. It’s not at all like a Filip Mesar situation. Halttunen can withstand the physical rigors of an AHL season. And he does have a scenario, where his elite shot will carry him to the NHL at some point. However even San Jose insiders consider him to be a 3rd or 4th line player.

Can that projection change, yes and I believe that can change with a junior season where he dominates. That means, can he put up 50 goals this season along Barkey and Julien?

For example look at Easton Cowan. People projected him in his draft year that he would pan out as a 3rd liner in the NHL. With a dominate junior season, people now project him to challenge as a top 6 NHL talent despite being picked later in the 1st round.

It’s all about changing your ceiling and sometimes another junior season can do that. Imagine Halttunen alongside Celebrini after Halttunen gains confidence and scores 50 in junior.

Also, keep in mind that Nurmi and Halttunen are good friends and Nurmi was recruited by Halttunen.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN and Buttsy

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Any idea the last time 2 finals opponents faced off against eachother in the ohl 2 years in a row?

Cause if you guys do get all these guys back, and nurmi turns out to be a stud- I don’t know who the hell in the whole league beats you guys in a playoff series. Who is the for sure people gone? Mccue, Lawrence, George, Simpson? I wonder if you go after another OA Pete’s goalie with M cup experience this year again lol

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

Looks like he’s not opposed to coming back to London if the Sharks want him to ;)

Shipped had sailed half way thru the year. Haltinen was only ever expected to play 1 year, meet and exceeded ezptations and rightfully will.move up and on.
Good on him.
And if I'm wrong, oh well, I'll take it lol.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Shipped had sailed half way thru the year. Haltinen was only ever expected to play 1 year, meet and exceeded ezptations and rightfully will.move up and on.
Good on him.
And if I'm wrong, oh well, I'll take it lol.
Fully agree ! Halttunen is rightfully moving on

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Yes Halttunen is likely gone. No reason why he can’t be in the AHL.

However, if I’m a GM, I would want to my prospects to dominate their league before moving on to the next level. Maybe Halttunen’s point total was masked by being on the 3rd line all year, but if I’m a GM, I’d want him to score 50 goals and dominate all year before moving to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad