Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I was very happy when the pick was made, potential is what I thought, and he seemed to be slowly progressing but from what I have heard lately he is a long way a way if ever, personally if he doesn't make the team in the next 2 years I will have to give in to the popular notion that he is not going to make it.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Morrissey only played 1 year in AHL though...?

Stanley is progressing fine as any 3rd-5th round pick would. Which is where he should have been drafted.

Yup.
Always said it wasn't that he wasn't a good prospect to have in the prospect cupboards. The Jets, and other teams, have had worst players.
It was always about how there were multiple players who *may also fail, or be no better* but had a better shot at being better.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I recall the absolute outrage on the part of some HF posters the day Chevy picked him. Those people were right.

Only question I have is whether there was another defenseman available who was less of a risk who is slotted in a lineup now. This squad sure could use that player now.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I recall the absolute outrage on the part of some HF posters the day Chevy picked him. Those people were right.

Only question I have is whether there was another defenseman available who was less of a risk who is slotted in a lineup now. This squad sure could use that player now.

Hronek in Detroit was drafted 35 slots after Stanley in 2016. Don’t know how highly regarded he was at that time, but consensus was that Stanley was a reach so why not reach on Hronek who is actually the better player.

Also Samuel Girard was taken after Stanley, a few slots ahead of Hronek.

Reactions: ocdaddy and hn777

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hronek in Detroit was drafted 35 slots after Stanley in 2016. Don’t know how highly regarded he was at that time, but consensus was that Stanley was a reach so why not reach on Hronek who is actually the better player.

Also Samuel Girard was taken after Stanley, a few slots ahead of Hronek.
DeBrincat and Girard were the names that stats nerds were telling from roof tops.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
In my final rankings I had DeBrincat 12th. It was painfully obvious the kid was good. I had Girard just behind Johansen and Clague and well ahead of Stanley.
I mean, I wouldn't have touched Stanley til the 3rd round.

I went into the draft laughing because I knew some team would be dumb enough to take him in the first. I joked about it again when the Jets traded up.

Oleksiak
McIlrath
Tinordi
Teubert
Ellerby
Morin
Stanley

It happens all the time. He has some skills, but he doesn't read the play well and he can't pivot vs AHL speed - let alone NHL.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
He's doing pretty bad for a 1st round pick. Obviously we'd be praising Chevy for picking off the board for Stanley if he was actually good but that's not the case unfortunately.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I mean, I wouldn't have touched Stanley til the 3rd round.

I went into the draft laughing because I knew some team would be dumb enough to take him in the first. I joked about it again when the Jets traded up.

Oleksiak
McIlrath
Tinordi
Teubert
Ellerby
Morin
Stanley

It happens all the time. He has some skills, but he doesn't read the play well and he can't pivot vs AHL speed - let alone NHL.

To be fair to Oleksiak, he has turned into a pretty solid player.

Decent skater for his size and whips out some surprising dangles from time to time. Honestly does not look out of place playing in the Stars top 4 this season. Having a partner in Heiskanen helps no doubt, but maybe Stanley could follow his path, take a few years to figure it out and then become legit. Maybe getting traded less than Oleksiak could speed up the process lol.

Reactions: hn777

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
To be fair to Oleksiak, he has turned into a pretty solid player.

Decent skater for his size and whips out some surprising dangles from time to time. Honestly does not look out of place playing in the Stars top 4 this season. Having a partner in Heiskanen helps no doubt, but maybe Stanley could follow his path, take a few years to figure it out and then become legit. Maybe getting traded less than Oleksiak could speed up the process lol.
He's an okay player, playing 15 minutes a night. Not amazing and not living up to expectation given where he was drafted.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
In my final rankings I had DeBrincat 12th. It was painfully obvious the kid was good. I had Girard just behind Johansen and Clague and well ahead of Stanley.
That'll be Zion Nybeck this year. Crazy talented kid that'll drop because of size.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Seeing all of this Laine-is-gone talk makes me wonder if everyone has given up on Stanley as a possible solution to what ails the Jets defensively. Is there any hope that he might be ready to make the step up to the third defensive pairing yet?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seeing all of this Laine-is-gone talk makes me wonder if everyone has given up on Stanley as a possible solution to what ails the Jets defensively. Is there any hope that he might be ready to make the step up to the third defensive pairing yet?

Yes, there is some hope. And if he doesn't do it this year, I think he still has another year to do it.

He had a rough year this year. Injuries clearly affected him. It is too soon to give up. That said, if he has any trade value we should use it.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This coming season is a big one for Stanley with the Moose. I’d like him paired with Kovacevic or Gawanke for a whole season in the AHL so he can build some chemistry with a legit Jets prospect.

I can see Stanley getting a 6-7 spot on the Jets starting in the ‘21-22 and develop into a 4-5 spot by ‘23-24.

Miracles aside, I doubt he has much positive impact on the Jets next season. It’s all about putting it all together consistently in the AHL for his ‘20-21.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
This coming season is a big one for Stanley with the Moose. I’d like him paired with Kovacevic or Gawanke for a whole season in the AHL so he can build some chemistry with a legit Jets prospect.

I can see Stanley getting a 6-7 spot on the Jets starting in the ‘21-22 and develop into a 4-5 spot by ‘23-24.

Miracles aside, I doubt he has much positive impact on the Jets next season. It’s all about putting it all together consistently in the AHL for his ‘20-21.

The only 6-7 spot Stanley should get is on a height scale.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
^Speaking of Gawanke, I'd love to see him find a roster spot in the DEL this season. I've got high hopes for him and would like to see him continue to develop.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stanley is going to need to have a pretty big season to put himself back in the mix for a spot. Imo barring the Jets converting one of Samberg/Heinola to RD he doesn't have a future here. I think some in the org and probably Maurice really hope he can pan out so that it gives Maurice his big crease clearing dmen but he is a long ways out still.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mind numbing pick at the time and I hope the faction that pushed for him has lost some credibility in the war room.

That being said I like Logan the person and he works hard so hopefully he stays healthy this season and progresses. I am not holding out much hope for him as an NHL asset but I would like to see him have a good season.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Mind numbing pick at the time and I hope the faction that pushed for him has lost some credibility in the war room.

That being said I like Logan the person and he works hard so hopefully he stays healthy this season and progresses. I am not holding out much hope for him as an NHL asset but I would like to see him have a good season.

Still can't believe we traded up but didn't trade up enough to get Chychrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad