Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Mind numbing pick at the time and I hope the faction that pushed for him has lost some credibility in the war room.

That being said I like Logan the person and he works hard so hopefully he stays healthy this season and progresses. I am not holding out much hope for him as an NHL asset but I would like to see him have a good season.
I almost broke my TV in front of our assembled "draft party" guests when I heard the Stanley pick. Dark day for the Jets' scouting system.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was quite pissed when his name was called. I saw him at the U18's and didn't see what all the fuss was about. A he had was size, none of the rest of his game was at all up to snuff.

He's improved a lot since then but that doesn't amount to muxh in the grand scheme of things when you start at a 2 out of 10 and are competing with prospects that start at 5 or 6 out of 10.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I thought before he got injured he was playing pretty decent hockey. He was seeing alot of minutes in a lot of different ways. His injury did open the door for Gawanke and he ran with it. He has moved up the depth chart IMO to the point were both guys are probably on the call up list next year for different reasons. I think the most ready guy is Kovacevic he was a rock on the backend

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought before he got injured he was playing pretty decent hockey. He was seeing alot of minutes in a lot of different ways. His injury did open the door for Gawanke and he ran with it. He has moved up the depth chart IMO to the point were both guys are probably on the call up list next year for different reasons. I think the most ready guy is Kovacevic he was a rock on the backend

Yeah I loved Kovacevik's play for the Moose. To me he is the heir apparent for Poolman's spot in 21-22.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Garret did warn us. As an experienced pessimist, I knew to mentally prepare myself for the blow. When the announcement came, there was no anger. Just smug satisfaction that my negativity had been borne out yet again. :nod:

Well said. Only now I think it's fitting you change your avatar to Oscar the Grouch.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
At this point, is Stanley's max potential an NHL 5/6D or more likely a career AHL player?

With his work ethic and tools I think he can surpass Chiarot while playing a similar game, and most feel Ben is a legit 4-5 guy now. Brendan Dillon is another stylistic comparison who had to work his way up. None of these guys were top prospects.

I agree with the frustration that Stanley will never live up to his draft position (Girard!) but he doesn't need to become Chara to be useful to the team. He's in an ideal place to develop on the Moose right now and his best hockey is all clearly ahead of him. Let's remember he's a gangly kid (1998) who hasn't even finished filling out yet. I think we should keep him in the slow cooker and let him overcome those injuries. Maybe he'll be a nice/nasty surprise in the Jets lineup in a few seasons.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
People worry about it and fret about it but I watched the Colorado game last night and they had Ryan Graves play with Makar and it works. We played Chairot with Buff and it worked. Maybe Stanley's role is to play with someone who's first thought is offense and he can play defense first and still be effective

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People worry about it and fret about it but I watched the Colorado game last night and they had Ryan Graves play with Makar and it works. We played Chairot with Buff and it worked. Maybe Stanley's role is to play with someone who's first thought is offense and he can play defense first and still be effective

The problem is that Stanley is better offensively then defensively. Hes big and physical but is out of position quite regularly, chases the play and has mediocre gap control. Not to mention his inability to change gears quickly. I am not sure why he gets cast as a defensive dmen, he's never been a good defense first dmen.

Kovacevik is the type of player you could use with an all out offensive player.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The problem is that Stanley is better offensively then defensively. Hes big and physical but is out of position quite regularly, chases the play and has mediocre gap control. Not to mention his inability to change gears quickly. I am not sure why he gets cast as a defensive dmen, he's never been a good defense first dmen.

He carries the puck in the neutral zone and blasts shots from the point. On d he gets beaten wide A LOT and is piss poor below the dots. Just like Myers was. He's a worse tyler myers in that he is less athletic.

Reactions: surixon

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

I think in order for him to be a day to day NHLer he will have to be the defensive guy on a pairing

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I was very happy when the pick was made, potential is what I thought, and he seemed to be slowly progressing but from what I have heard lately he is a long way a way if ever, personally if he doesn't make the team in the next 2 years I will have to give in to the popular notion that he is not going to make it.
And that he was bad decision gone more wrong by Chevy, trading up to pick a "bust".
Trade him in the package to get a 2C or top rhs D.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I recall the absolute outrage on the part of some HF posters the day Chevy picked him. Those people were right.

Only question I have is whether there was another defenseman available who was less of a risk who is slotted in a lineup now. This squad sure could use that player now.
Samuel Girard-Col Av's 2nd rd #47;
Dennis Cholowski- Det RW's 1st rd #20;
Ryan Lindgren- NYR now (Bos 2nd rd #49)

Reactions: ocdaddy

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Defensemen still available when Stanley was picked:
Samuel Girard
Filip Hronek
Ryan Lindgren
Adam Fox
Andrew Peeke
Josh Mahura
Victor Mete

Not looking good so far. Oof.

Reactions: irunthepeg

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Yah, missed him by only 2 picks I believe? Wow!
And Dante Fabbro by one.
If Chevy held our picks, we could have picked C-Rubtsov, or Brett Howden, or Henrik Borgstrom and had RW-scorer++ Alex DeBrincat

Funny... I was hoping for Rubtsov and Girard before Chevy traded up. It would be really nice having both of those players right now. But I’m not going to hold that against Stanley.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I didn't like the pick, but I rooted for him, especially after the destruction that Garrett rained down on him for a long time after that.

A rare poor pick, it would seem.

Espirit

Aug 8, 2012
Peg

Yeah, I kinda figured at best-case, he might turn into a Marc Methot type guy. Pair him with an offensive-type D, and he'll easily take care of the rest. That being said, he's got a ways to go yet.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Defensemen still available when Stanley was picked:
Samuel Girard
Filip Hronek
Ryan Lindgren
Adam Fox
Andrew Peeke
Josh Mahura
Victor Mete

Not looking good so far. Oof.
Yeah, but other than Peeke, those guys are not tall. If you average out all of their heights, Stanley is way taller than that. Even more important than his height, is how long his hockey stick is. It's really long. Especially compared to the hockey sticks used by those NHL players you listed. Their hockey sticks are not nearly as long as Stanley's. Also, most of them are not tall.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yeah, I kinda figured at best-case, he might turn into a Marc Methot type guy. Pair him with an offensive-type D, and he'll easily take care of the rest. That being said, he's got a ways to go yet.

He needs to have another year in the AHL and stay healthy. If there is an AHL to go to.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He needs to have another year in the AHL and stay healthy. If there is an AHL to go to.
I have doubts that there will be much of an AHL season. I wonder if there will be some agreement to expand NHL rosters to ensure that AHL prospects that don't have a place to play in Europe don't lose a year of development.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have doubts that there will be much of an AHL season. I wonder if there will be some agreement to expand NHL rosters to ensure that AHL prospects that don't have a place to play in Europe don't lose a year of development.

I have no idea what is going to happen but one thing I heard is they might explore having teams have their guys in one city and they play games there then they move around to the next city

So you have 8 AHL teams in one city. They play/practice and isolate. Play each 5 times in however many days they need to then they move to play the other 8 in your conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad