Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Coach firing seems like a summer move. I doubt they do it right away.

I think they wait until brindamor is eliminated in Carolina and go after him

Doing it Thursday makes it seem rushed and emotional. It isn’t. But it will look that way
So then Tre has to play poker on this question on Thursday
It will just add more fuel

Reactions: Just Rude

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Dregs is another goof. I dont see how Keefe comes back, what a total mess
Shanny feeding his minions
These guys that have to have access to the team are all lackeys for MLSE management, for good reason. You say something real bad, you lose access to the team, including that luscious pregame meal. After the 2nd period of the finale, Hrudey musta got a call, he walked back his criticism of Marner quite a bit.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
These guys that have to have access to the team are all lackeys for MLSE management, for good reason. You say something real bad, you lose access to the team, including that luscious pregame meal. After the 2nd period of the finale, Hrudey musta got a call, he walked back his criticism of Marner quite a bit.

If these guys do that (meaning Leafs management) then we will never see true accountability.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Unless the core 4 come out and say they are all willing to renegotiate their deals, all to take smaller %'s of the Cap to improve the team, then who gives a $%^&@ what these guys are going to say today.

and we all know there is ZERO chance of that happening.
It's too bad they can't do that like the NFL can.

It would be interesting to see if any of them would actually be willing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
does that mean boston was lucky this year because nylander and matthews missed half the series and woll missed the last game? we cant have it both ways

Boston was very lucky. Imagine if Boston didn’t have 2 of their best skaters for a number of games. I’ll let you decide if that’s Pastrnak and Marchand or something else. Or imagine if Swayman pulled his groin on the Matthews to Nylander.

But the Leafs have accumulated so much bad will over the years that it simply doesn’t matter.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Firing Shanny and Keefe this week is the move.

Don’t name a coach for a bit, no rush. See how things shake out and make it priority to turn over every stone; in search of answers for this team.

that is what needs to be said by Pelley for Shanny and Tre for Keefe replacements.
“We are actively looking for answers to the problems with this club in the playoffs … there is no doubt the talent is here; however it’s evident that ALOT of things need to happen in order to push that talent to the required levels needed for playoff success”

Reactions: JKG33 and Just Rude

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I wouldn't read too much into Keefe speaking today. A decision will likely be made regarding his future very soon.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
No chance Keefe is sticking around. Last season, tre came in last minute with the coaching market completely dried up. That's not the case this summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keefe should be gone this week. I don’t think Pelly firing Shanahan without a viable blue chip superstar executive actually makes sense right now. The most politically prudent move would be to come in quietly like an evaluator and just take stock of the whole organization and project a steady hands kind of vibe. Use one year to start making big change.

Last thing you want is a panic hire with a mandate for change on a short timeline. If Shanahan is lame duck and not renewed, you can bring in the new president next year. The real victim here may be Treliving who could be caught up in the gears through no fault of his own.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Doing it Thursday makes it seem rushed and emotional. It isn’t. But it will look that way
I understand the thought here, but I think firing Keefe now than in the summer is the right move and allows the team to evaluate all options available. Don't want other teams filling their spots up with potential candidates and then having to "settle" on someone they may not have had at the top of their list. Similarly, by making it widely known that they are seeking a replacement, they may be getting candidates coming out of the woodwork and throwing their names into the hat that they may not have otherwise thought of.

In my opinion, if they are going to fire Keefe, and I certainly think they should at this point, it should be done quick and swiftly.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Keefe should be gone this week. I don’t think Pelly firing Shanahan without a viable blue chip superstar executive actually makes sense right now. The most politically prudent move would be to come in quietly like an evaluator and just take stock of the whole organization and project a steady hands kind of vibe. Use one year to start making big change.

Last thing you want is a panic hire with a mandate for change on a short timeline. If Shanahan is lame duck and not renewed, you can bring in the new president next year. The real victim here may be Treliving who could be caught up in the gears through no fault of his own.
I dont think Shanny gets the axe right now even though he deserves it. Keith in fresh, business making boat loads $$$$, got 1 year left, they will let him finish off

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I wouldn't read too much into Keefe speaking today. A decision will likely be made regarding his future very soon.
Well that confirms that Shanny is gone to.
Can you imagine, a guy you were considering firing in a few days you allow to speak for your franchise. Rediculous.
Or, the board room makes every decision based on their whim and money and they don't give a poop. Proves Pelly no better that the last people...all about Bay Street
George Steinbrenner is rolling over in the grave just thinking about this. (And he won championships)

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
We were spoiled with the Dubas and Shanny presser last year. Those boys just finished watching Succession and fancied themselves Logan and Kendell.

This year is not going to provide 20 minutes of drama with a play-by-play of GM contract negotiations detailing what they've been discussing over email.

Reactions: hullsy47

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I present to you Option C, where Shanahan is gone and there is no president of hockey ops anymore, while Treliving is given the full set of keys.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Elliot said on his latest podcast he thinks MLSE wants to remove the president position altogether. He says it’s unnecessary and the GM should report directly to the big boss (Pelley). Shanny just adds another layer of management not needed.

Food for thought.

Edit: @1spector beat me to it. His tweet explains it better.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

They don't need a coach, really, until the draft at the earliest. They won't leave Keefe blowing in the wind as he will be unable to seek new employment if he's still in limbo here.

If they're going to move on from him it will be this week.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Elliot said on his latest podcast he thinks MLSE wants to remove the president position altogether. He says it’s unnecessary and the GM should report directly to the big boss (Pelley). Shanny just adds another layer of management not needed.

Food for thought.
Very good leak from Fried.

ya he gets paid $5M a year to do nothing. He is not Masai Ujiri who's been a GM and even though Bobby is the GM, Masai is heavily involved in basketball ops and everything runs through him.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I see your points here and mostly agree with the things you are saying.

Treliving is competent (despite what CGY fans say). TOR does not need a President in place in order to move forward. If the draft, UFA, and training camp come close then Tre will deal with all of this. He can fire/hire, draft, sign UFAs, etc.

A team President does not need to get their hands in on decisions like who to draft, or who to sign. If they wish to their next President can just be a figurehead. Dryden was a figurehead, but didn't seem to try his hand as influencing UFAs, etc. Shanny clearly got involved in all the aspects, but pretended that Dubas did everything to keep his image clean.

Shanny's vision for the team was not some great revelation. Anyone can come in and propose the same thing.

I know Tre will be doing a lot of heavy lifting this offseason, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks. Someone else can make sure the fax machine is working.

;)

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
finally this is big
i hope shanny is gone.
Shanny should be gone but I don’t know about removing the position completely. What does Pelley know about hockey? I don’t want him meddling into hockey ops. He just needs to hire the right guy to handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad