Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not directly to you KF28…

So we (righty) talk about what a great builder DL was in terms of the leadership, yet ignore the same guy talking about what a great leader Kopitar is. I’ll take Lombardi’s view on this as he actually had visibility of Kopitars leadership whereas we don’t and his track record on the subject is one of the best in the game.

The issue isn’t Kopitar , it’s the lack of an adequate leadership group. In the modern game the C and the two A’s are only pieces of the leadership needed to be successful.

He talked about leadership a lot in that podcast, especially saying how you can't force leadership, yet he put Kopitar there in hopes of igniting it in him to get him to another level. Or did I not hear it right? He also left out the stuff about Sutter not getting to pick his own captains when hired and all but forcing Dean to switch captains as a negotiating tactic when his contract was up. I still think it was a mistake switching captains no matter what the reason.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
hardly matters who your captain is if you build a team like DL did.. with about 7 guys who could wear the C.. but if you're a feckless team like the current LAK - i think a change in captain could make a difference

I'm not sure what you want out of this group. By all accounts, all 3 guys are solid leaders on this team, all have spoken up in the room when needed [ as a lot of reports say they have] as well as others and taken accountability when needed. Please elaborate .

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I'm not sure what you want out of this group. By all accounts, all 3 guys are solid leaders on this team, all have spoken up in the room when needed [ as a lot of reports say they have] as well as others and taken accountability when needed. Please elaborate .
I cant tell if what you wrote there is facetious. If it isnt, something is off when the analysis of the team's main problem is getting uncomfortable and going to tough areas of the ice.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Here’s that desire to win bit from the press conference. A different tone from the usual stuff we’ve been hearing.

Blake saying this while having PLD as his highest paid player is like picking up a prostitute right after getting out of Sunday church service.

It's ideologically contradictory. There's no coherent philosophy to it.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Blake saying this while having PLD as his highest paid player is like picking up a prostitute right after getting out of Sunday church service.

Thats exactly it. Its like comparing to DL who had well-defined blueprints and built his org and roster based on that well defined vision (ie strategically), and its seems Blake is doing moves in isolation (ie tactically) without a grand plan. PLD does not fit into defense 1st 2 way center mold at all. He's more a forechecker and free form offensive player more north south than Fiala but in a similar mold.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I mean, personally, I’d like to see a shadow of a pulse from anyone on the roster when the chips are down in a playoff series, but especially when it comes to the guys wearing a letter.

There hasn’t been any of that since 2014. Zero. It’s completely unacceptable for a franchise that aspires to do more than “just sneak in”.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I just love how people that dismiss kaliyev have nothing specific to show how he has failed- like cant play defense, too slow, he's an asshole and on and on. Just the company line.
Why not just say "we played him 6 minutes on the 4th line and he wasnt selke quality"
WHY IN THE f*** DID THEY DRAFT A SCORER AND EXPECT A DEFENSE FIRST PLAYER?
The assholes are the management of this team and thier company yes man phony scribes
Still one of the mysteries I can’t wrap my head around. At this point i’m assuming Kaliyev pulled a Filatov.

“King Arthur don’t do defense.”

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
LA_Kings_bronze.jpg

That's the Swedish bronze medal-winning goal, courtesy of your LA Kings.

Carl as the best player of the bronze medal game, and Fiala the tournament's MVP (despite winning "only" silver) – what's not to like? (And, yeah, Dubois was nearly PPG, too, scoring 9 points in 10 games, playing mostly with Tavares, who once again failed spectacularly as team captain.)

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015

Somewhere around the 2 hour 9 minute mark.

Thanks so much, Jesse. I listened to most of the section with Dean. Learned a lot. He did say that he thought it was time for Kopi to take the next step..he had done it all and was a winner...and time for the next step. But, why could it not be the same time to do this step for Kempe? It's really no different...Brown was still pretty young and still in his prime window, when they did this...and Kopi is going to be 37 when the season starts and his 'end is defined' now, and even his less pay, with the 4 million less and 2 years. Plus, the Kings need a change, top to bottom. (too bad it does not include Pres/GM)

So, Kopi stays Captain until the end...I'm fine with that. But then, you need a new C in 26-27. It's automatic. I think it may end up being a more natural tranistion, if part of their Summer discussion with Anze were to talk about leadership and the room and just get his feedback. Kopi may honeslty say it's time to give the C to another - 'so they too - can take on more, just like he was asked to do' and he would recommend Adrian, or ?. Kopi is the type of consummate pro to actually be the one to suggest a change. It's not weakness or checking out...it's a sign of being selfless and wanting the next one to step up.

I sold my biz a few months ago...I only had one employee...I told her I was planning to sell...she said she was then going to quit and look for another job..she was bummed...I told her "I am sorry, but this has become my path..I was hoping to keep the biz a few more yrs, but it's time....If you stay till the end and a new buyer comes on..I will give you a bonus (it was the biggest bonus I ever gave an employee and a number I offered) and I will truly sell you to the new buyer, that you are integral to the biz and you're a rockstar. That you are essential...additionally, I will teach you everything I know. She decided to stay...went like this. The new owner is a big corporation...they listened to my pitch for her...they interviewed her..loved her, hired her. Gave her a $4000 moving bonus to move to Chattanooga...and also pay 2 months apartment. Gave her a 22% raise and benefits! Gave her a title as 'creative director'. She just happens to have a long dist boyfriend in Nashville and now they can see each other more often. She loves her life and her new status and pay. She's only 21 and her plan was to quit and take her job back at Walmart! She's now in a big corp and will have more opportunities and loving life.
She told me I am the best thing that ever happened in her life. We are lifelong friends now. I still consult with her, when she needs advice and the new owner loves her....just saying, leaders (I am not a great leader, but had the opportunity to lead in this transition) make others lives thrive...and support their teammates and elevate them. I can honestly see Kopi tell management it's time to pass the C to the next leader. He'd be elevating them and he would not become less of a voice in the room, and even more respected that he took one for the betterment of another. Empower others. Maybe Kopi feels a burden lifted, for that matter.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Love that Fiala stole the show, and Grundstrom had some nice clutch goals.

PLD's performance is good, though he was sort of in a lose/lose situation because if he performed poorly people would pile on to how shitty and overrated he is, and if he did well then they would pile on him for being so shitty in the NHL, playoffs, on the Kings, or just when he isn't motivated. It could also be his usage, which isn't great across the board - especially on the powerplay, but if you are going to be criticized then you might as well be producing while it is happening.

I think I was most surprised by Kempe not scoring a goal.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

I reckon' it's because after listening to the sermon there's a burst of energy that needs attention.

• Wow
Reactions: Faterson

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He talked about leadership a lot in that podcast, especially saying how you can't force leadership, yet he put Kopitar there in hopes of igniting it in him to get him to another level. Or did I not hear it right? He also left out the stuff about Sutter not getting to pick his own captains when hired and all but forcing Dean to switch captains as a negotiating tactic when his contract was up. I still think it was a mistake switching captains no matter what the reason.
I completely agree that I wouldn’t have taken the Captaincy off Brown. An awful decision that has handled poorly.

Reactions: David Lunch

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Praise in public
Punish in private (not in the media)

I like it
I agree. I like that approach although a once in a blue moon public criticism is acceptable to get a reaction if the coach knows his players well enough.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Thanks so much, Jesse. I listened to most of the section with Dean. Learned a lot. He did say that he thought it was time for Kopi to take the next step..he had done it all and was a winner...and time for the next step. But, why could it not be the same time to do this step for Kempe? It's really no different...Brown was still pretty young and still in his prime window, when they did this...and Kopi is going to be 37 when the season starts and his 'end is defined' now, and even his less pay, with the 4 million less and 2 years. Plus, the Kings need a change, top to bottom. (too bad it does not include Pres/GM)

So, Kopi stays Captain until the end...I'm fine with that. But then, you need a new C in 26-27. It's automatic. I think it may end up being a more natural tranistion, if part of their Summer discussion with Anze were to talk about leadership and the room and just get his feedback. Kopi may honeslty say it's time to give the C to another - 'so they too - can take on more, just like he was asked to do' and he would recommend Adrian, or ?. Kopi is the type of consummate pro to actually be the one to suggest a change. It's not weakness or checking out...it's a sign of being selfless and wanting the next one to step up.

I sold my biz a few months ago...I only had one employee...I told her I was planning to sell...she said she was then going to quit and look for another job..she was bummed...I told her "I am sorry, but this has become my path..I was hoping to keep the biz a few more yrs, but it's time....If you stay till the end and a new buyer comes on..I will give you a bonus (it was the biggest bonus I ever gave an employee and a number I offered) and I will truly sell you to the new buyer, that you are integral to the biz and you're a rockstar. That you are essential...additionally, I will teach you everything I know. She decided to stay...went like this. The new owner is a big corporation...they listened to my pitch for her...they interviewed her..loved her, hired her. Gave her a $4000 moving bonus to move to Chattanooga...and also pay 2 months apartment. Gave her a 22% raise and benefits! Gave her a title as 'creative director'. She just happens to have a long dist boyfriend in Nashville and now they can see each other more often. She loves her life and her new status and pay. She's only 21 and her plan was to quit and take her job back at Walmart! She's now in a big corp and will have more opportunities and loving life.
She told me I am the best thing that ever happened in her life. We are lifelong friends now. I still consult with her, when she needs advice and the new owner loves her....just saying, leaders (I am not a great leader, but had the opportunity to lead in this transition) make others lives thrive...and support their teammates and elevate them. I can honestly see Kopi tell management it's time to pass the C to the next leader. He'd be elevating them and he would not become less of a voice in the room, and even more respected that he took one for the betterment of another. Empower others. Maybe Kopi feels a burden lifted, for that matter.
Nice story…. You were a good boss :thumbu:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I mean, personally, I’d like to see a shadow of a pulse from anyone on the roster when the chips are down in a playoff series, but especially when it comes to the guys wearing a letter.

There hasn’t been any of that since 2014. Zero. It’s completely unacceptable for a franchise that aspires to do more than “just sneak in”.
But just sneaking in has been the aspiration and goal of management all along. The things this franchise does really aren’t strange at all once you realize that this past season was less “what went wrong” and more “mission accomplished”.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Kevin Fiala:

Regular season: .75 points per game, career +20

Playoffs: .53 points per game -12

This is a guy that did not show up in the playoffs two years in a row. I was watching the Boston - Florida series and David Pastrnak. Both Fiala and Pastrnak have very similar skill sets, Pastrnak is a little bigger, but Fiala skates better. But, Pastrnak has an intangible that makes him a far better player- he really wants it. That's not to say Fiala isn't competitive (although his stats are disappointing in the playoffs), it's just that at the very top level, you need to have that little extra 'want it' to really be a star. Unfortunately, Fiala is a very good player, not a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad