Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Right Wing: Kevin Fiala ($7,875,000) - Adrian Kempe ($5,500,000) - Alex Laferriere ($875,000) - Liam O'Brien ($1,000,000)
Centre: Quinton Byfield ($4,500,000) - Anze Kopitar ($7,000,000) - Phillip Danault ($5,500,000) - Akil Thomas ($850,000)
Left Wing: Pierre-Luc Dubois ($8,500,000) - Dakota Joshua ($3,250,000) - Trevor Moore ($4,200,000) - Alex Turcotte ($850,000) - Samuel Fagemo ($850,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Drew Doughty ($11,000,000) - Brandt Clarke ($863,333) - Jordan Spence ($1,750,000)
Left: Michael Anderson ($4,125,000) - Brady Skjei ($6,000,000) - Jakob Chychrun ($3,000,000) - Jacob Moverare ($775,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Laurent Brossoit ($3,500,000) - David Rittich ($1,000,000)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1)
Ivan Provorov ($2,025,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $87,700,000
Bonus Overages: $1,850,000
Cap Hit: $87,338,333
Cap Space: $361,667

im bored

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kevin Fiala:

Regular season: .75 points per game, career +20

Playoffs: .53 points per game -12

This is a guy that did not show up in the playoffs two years in a row. I was watching the Boston - Florida series and David Pastrnak. Both Fiala and Pastrnak have very similar skill sets, Pastrnak is a little bigger, but Fiala skates better. But, Pastrnak has an intangible that makes him a far better player- he really wants it. That's not to say Fiala isn't competitive (although his stats are disappointing in the playoffs), it's just that at the very top level, you need to have that little extra 'want it' to really be a star. Unfortunately, Fiala is a very good player, not a star.
Nice apples to apples buddy.

Fiala injured in the first years playoffs, and was hobbling near the end of the season, far from 100%

While Fiala was moved around the entire year he was also the second highest point producer ahead of Kopitar.

This season he was glued to the 4th line with Lewis and Lizotte.

The entire team was ass in the playoffs and that was largely due to awful coaching, and line combinations.

Singling out Fiala is stupidity when you consider the likes of Kopitar and Kempe only showing up for one game of the playoffs. And what the top line players had 2 more points than Fiala while he was glued to the 4th line? Fiala is a top end talent and if the team is too brain dead to know how to use him (spoiler alert they are) then thats far from it being a Fiala problem.

We had Byfield riding pine on 3v3 during OTs until what the tail end of the season? Im not going to shit on players who deserved a lot better than what they got. We had Kaliyev deported? Clarke not on the team for what reason? Yeah next time add context. The players dont like the 1-3-1. The one player you can justifiably shit on this season is PLD, and if you want one guy to shit on as well for the playoffs is Moore turning into a little scared kid in the playoffs. 30 goal scorer went MIA with great deployments.

Amazing analysis bro

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
But just sneaking in has been the aspiration and goal of management all along. The things this franchise does really aren’t strange at all once you realize that this past season was less “what went wrong” and more “mission accomplished”.
Simultaneously cutting me down while proving the crux of the argument.

Bravo.

Fiala injured in the first years playoffs, and was hobbling near the end of the season, far from 100%

While Fiala was moved around the entire year he was also the second highest point producer ahead of Kopitar.

The entire team was ass in the playoffs and that was largely due to awful coaching, and line combinations.

Singling out Fiala is stupidity when you consider the likes of Kopitar and Kempe only showing up for one game of the playoffs. And what the top line players had 2 more points than Fiala while he was glued to the 4th line?

Amazing analysis bro
Fiala is a garbage disposal where winning hockey goes to die.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Simultaneously cutting me down while proving the crux of the argument.

Bravo.

Fiala is a garbage disposal where winning hockey goes to die.
Yes because when I think of players who are put into positions to win, I immediately think of the LA Kings deploying 1-3-1 down 2 goals in game 4 of the playoffs with 2 minutes to go.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Yes because when I think of players who are put into positions to win, I immediately think of the LA Kings deploying 1-3-1 down 2 goals in game 4 of the playoffs with 2 minutes to go.
Must have missed where a prerequisite for proper execution for the 1-3-1 (a variation that almost every NHL team plays for strong portions of the game) requires boneheaded turnovers at both blue lines along with asinine penalties that do nothing to set the tone for the game.

Must be my bad. Has to be.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Singling out Fiala is stupidity when you consider the likes of Kopitar and Kempe only showing up for one game of the playoffs. And what the top line players had 2 more points than Fiala while he was glued to the 4th line? Fiala is a top end talent and if the team is too brain dead to know how to use him (spoiler alert they are) then thats far from it being a Fiala problem.

We had Byfield riding pine on 3v3 during OTs until what the tail end of the season? Im not going to shit on players who deserved a lot better than what they got. We had Kaliyev deported? Clarke not on the team for what reason? Yeah next time add context. The players dont like the 1-3-1. The one player you can justifiably shit on this season is PLD, and if you want one guy to shit on as well for the playoffs is Moore turning into a little scared kid in the playoffs. 30 goal scorer went MIA with great deployments.

Amazing analysis bro

Fiala has done this on three separate NHL teams

It's largely why he was available in the first place

Him picking on lesser teams in the NHL and now at the world championships doesn't erase that

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Must have missed where a prerequisite for proper execution for the 1-3-1 (a variation that almost every NHL team plays for strong portions of the game) requires boneheaded turnovers at both blue lines along with asinine penalties that do nothing to set the tone for the game.

Must be my bad. Has to be.
Seems like you're in your feelings when you conveniently ignore the fact that teams that do execute 1-3-1 tend to be winning. Kings weren't using it strategically. They were using it moronically. If you can't tell the difference between implementation and idiotic coaching then maybe you too would fit on the Kings staff. He does make turnovers and does take penalties, Kempe took more penalties than him this season and no one really cares since he produces well. And you know what? They are both producers who take penalties. If you cant look past these stupid qualms you have then you should wonder why a Swiss man you have never met has you in your feelings.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Fiala has done this on three separate NHL teams

It's largely why he was available in the first place

Him picking on lesser teams in the NHL and now at the world championships doesn't erase that
elaborate. And just remember when you're minimizing his value to the team that he was 2nd in points behind Kempe and ahead of Kopitar while being dicked around all through the line up either next to PLD or with Lizzo. Keep context in mind and this brilliant coaching staff.

also was faber available cause he sucked or something? Is that the point you're making?

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Nice story…. You were a good boss :thumbu:
Thanks. It's hard being an employer and I hated that part...if I ever had to do disiplianry things, or worse, teminate someone.
I always wanted to cultivate a great workplace and gave everyone opportunities to grow and do more...but there wasn't anywhere
to really elevate. When I saw how bummed she was, when I told her I was selling, that she loved her job...that's when I made it my
goal to reward her and train her at anything she did not know...like books...purchasing...and be more confident. She had low self esteem amd
her mom was brutal to her...even told her not to go to Chattanooga and live back with her (I can use your rent. OMG) and take her job back at Walmert. I told her (once she had the offer and had been flown out to Chattanooga) "I've never seen a 21 yr old get an opportunity like this...big raise, a title, benefits and you will probably never get another offer like this" It was a 5 month process, from listing, to getting offer and closing. During those 5 months, I really instilled confidence in her and pumped her up. I told her it's so wrong of her mom to hold you back. I have 2 sons and it's a parents job to help their kids be all they can be and the last thing to hold them back. Even if you may not agree with their choices.

The best part? Company Christmas Party. In Dec 2022, I took her and a guest and myself and a guest to Maggiano's for dinner, followed by second level, 1st row seats to the AVS - Kings game in Denver...the game the Kings won on OT, with that sweet goal by Kempe. Her first game. She now loves hockey! I am not sure if she's a Preds fan.,

Getting back to Kopi and captain. I am all good if he stays captain until he hangs them up. Completely. He's earned everything. We have witnessed at the Brown ceremony (and other times) how Kopi said of Brown "we are brothers" and Brown intimated the same. Know full well that it's the same for many of his teammates...esp the long tenured ones. Drew...Adrian. Kopi may have the mindest - knowing that he can stay captain until the end and let management take over and name the next captain...or he can have the mindset...my time has an end...JUNE 2026.LATE JUNE 2026! CUP lift #3.
I can now be the one who chooses the leader and give the C to one of my brothers. This is not out of the realm and he may want someone close to take over and let them lead. It's not a crazy notion.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
elaborate. And just remember when you're minimizing his value to the team that he was 2nd in points behind Kempe and ahead of Kopitar while being dicked around all through the line up either next to PLD or with Lizzo. Keep context in mind and this brilliant coaching staff.

also was faber available cause he sucked or something? Is that the point you're making?

Nashville playoff stats: 18 games played, 6 points, -4.
Minnesota playoff stats: 17 games played, 9 points, -10.
It's a long-term rep, not just some issue here.

The argument against Fiala is not that far from the argument you could make against Carter or Gaborik before they won us Stanley cups. The problem is the rest of the roster, period.

I don't really disagree here, and I even fully agree with Sol that he can and should be used better.

YET--you also cannot use the world championships as an argument for anythign as it's just more evidence that he can beat the snot out of lesser competition. we all know that. We're waiting for him to show up to the playoffs.

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
Nashville playoff stats: 18 games played, 6 points, -4.
Minnesota playoff stats: 17 games played, 9 points, -10.
It's a long-term rep, not just some issue here.

I don't really disagree here, and I even fully agree with Sol that he can and should be used better.

YET--you also cannot use the world championships as an argument for anythign as it's just more evidence that he can beat the snot out of lesser competition. we all know that. We're waiting for him to show up to the playoffs.
If the kings had a good roster and coaching, the rest of the league would be lesser competition

Reactions: Surf Nutz

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Agreed that Fiala is a Carter/Gaborik type of player whose weaknesses become very apparent when they’re asked to carry too heavy a load.

I’ve always liked Fiala, and compared to someone like PLD he’s Mark f***ing Messier for all I care.

What will always hurt Fiala’s stock is who we gave up to get him.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
this would be exactly the kind of nostalgia deal blake would make and grossly overpay for
What is wrong with Blake? Was he really sitting there watching them lose in the playoffs thinking yea this team really needs Tyler Toffoli back to get over the hump!?
Toffoli would be fine for like 2.5 million for 2 years to play next to Kopitar and Kempe so they can move Byfield back to center. But we all know hes going to pay him a bunch.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
What is wrong with Blake? Was he really sitting there watching them lose in the playoffs thinking yea this team really needs Tyler Toffoli back to get over the hump!?
Judging by the post season comments coming from him and Luc so far, most likely yes that it exactly what he was thinking.

Playing hardball with Byfield and forgoing the chance to sign him to a long term value deal so you can bring back Toffoli would be par for the course for Blake. Brisson secures another bag and Luc gets to make a speech about how they’re welcoming back an old member of the Kings family.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
this would be exactly the kind of nostalgia deal blake would make and grossly overpay for
I’m ok with it in a vacuum but it depends on what else they do. If they cut loose Lewis, move Grundstrom, find spots for Turcotte/Thomas, trade Danault and move QB back to C I’m fine with it. I don’t see that happening though.

At the moment I’m taking it as clickbait, as it usually proves to be no more than that.

Judging by the post season comments coming from him and Luc so far, most likely yes that it exactly what he was thinking.

Playing hardball with Byfield and forgoing the chance to sign him to a long term value deal so you can bring back Toffoli would be par for the course for Blake. Brisson secures another bag and Luc gets to make a speech about how they’re welcoming back an old member of the Kings family.
Byfield isn’t signing long term unless his agent is an idiot. If takes another significant step, which he likely does, he’s signing a massive deal in 2 years time. A bridge now makes sense for both parties.

Reactions: David Lunch

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Fiala is the most skilled player on the team . Its not his fault he was stuck on a line with Lizotte and Lewis while our so called top lines/players who were relied on heavily to produce were only able to score 1 point (Kopitar) , 2 points (Byfield) , 3 points (Kempe) more than Fiala did . I dont think 95% of the league would be able to produce with fkin Lizzote and Lewis . Lizotte bless his heart doesn’t belong in the NHL playoffs . He gets stopped or dropped to easily because the game tightens up .

Fiala also had 6 points in 3 games last year in the playoffs playing injured/hurt because the team actually had some depth and he produced with decent linemates and on the PP when Kempe or rest of the team for that matter wasn’t afraid to shoot the puck .

Everyone likes to bash on Fiala but fail to realize the issue isnt him its line combos , system coaching and our personnel on D and the bottom six . We need 2 way dmen who are mobile , big and can produce from the back end/have a shooting mentality and we need a new 4th line , even though i like Lewis as the 13th forward .

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fiala is the most skilled player on the team . Its not his fault he was stuck on a line with Lizotte and Lewis while our so called top lines/players who were relied on heavily to produce were only able to score 1 point (Kopitar) , 2 points (Byfield) , 3 points (Kempe) more than Fiala did . I dont think 95% of the league would be able to produce with fkin Lizzote and Lewis . Lizotte bless his heart doesn’t belong in the NHL playoffs . He gets stopped or dropped to easily because the game tightens up .

Fiala also had 6 points in 3 games last year in the playoffs playing injured/hurt because the team actually had some depth and he produced with decent linemates and on the PP when Kempe or rest of the team for that matter wasn’t afraid to shoot the puck .

Everyone likes to bash on Fiala but fail to realize the issue isnt him its line combos , system coaching and our personnel on D and the bottom six . We need 2 way dmen who are mobile , big and can produce from the back end/have a shooting mentality and we need a new 4th line , even though i like Lewis as the 13th forward .

That's fine, that gives him a pass for THIS year, how about the other 7?

I'm not going to say he's a good playoff performer because he showed up for the power play one game last year.

People are really twisting themselves into pretzels trying to make him something he's not.

Excellent regular season player who piles up points against lesser competition. That has its place for sure--how many years in a row did we toss games we shouldn't to lower comp?--now he needs to shake his rep. That's it. I love the guy, he's fun to watch, he's high-effort. But he's also flawed.

Reactions: Piston

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Which is why it was too early to trade for Fiala. He's a finishing piece that brings dynamism with a roster rooted in stability. He was brought in when the team needed stability and a new identity.

Question though, how often does a player like Fiala, at that age, become available?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Right Wing: Kevin Fiala ($7,875,000) - Adrian Kempe ($5,500,000) - Alex Laferriere ($875,000) - Liam O'Brien ($1,000,000)
Centre: Quinton Byfield ($4,500,000) - Anze Kopitar ($7,000,000) - Phillip Danault ($5,500,000) - Akil Thomas ($850,000)
Left Wing: Pierre-Luc Dubois ($8,500,000) - Dakota Joshua ($3,250,000) - Trevor Moore ($4,200,000) - Alex Turcotte ($850,000) - Samuel Fagemo ($850,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Drew Doughty ($11,000,000) - Brandt Clarke ($863,333) - Jordan Spence ($1,750,000)
Left: Michael Anderson ($4,125,000) - Brady Skjei ($6,000,000) - Jakob Chychrun ($3,000,000) - Jacob Moverare ($775,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Laurent Brossoit ($3,500,000) - David Rittich ($1,000,000)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1)
Ivan Provorov ($2,025,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $87,700,000
Bonus Overages: $1,850,000
Cap Hit: $87,338,333
Cap Space: $361,667

im bored
Sign me up for QB at $4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.