Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Feels like a pretty underwhelming return for a Vezina winning goaltender.

The Bruins get: a late 1st round pick in a weak draft, a 4th line forward, and only 1.1m dollars of cap relief. Meanwhile the GK we got in return was one of the worst in the league and has another 3 years remaining on his contract. Oof.

Hopefully we can flip him later for a lower salary somehow. Doesn't feel like a big win unless we somehow find an unheralded bargain on the level of Pastrnak at the bottom of this year's 1st round draft.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Feels like a pretty underwhelming return for a Vezina winning goaltender.

The Bruins get: a late 1st round pick in a weak draft, a 4th line forward, and only 1.1m dollars of cap relief. Meanwhile the GK we got in return was one of the worst in the league and has another 3 years remaining on his contract. Oof.

Hopefully we can flip him later for a lower salary somehow. Doesn't feel like a big win unless we somehow find an unheralded bargain on the level of Pastrnak at the bottom of this year's 1st round draft.

Its because he is , as of now, a rental.

If he had agreed to an extension aspart of the trade the return would have been higher.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
That .901 average is not what it seems:

CBS
.920 31 GP ‘15/16
.905 14 GP ‘16/‘17
.897 18 GP ‘17/‘18
.897 27 GP ‘18/‘19
.911 37 GP ‘19/20
.894 33 GP ‘20/‘21
.877 22 GP ‘21/‘22

CBS/LA
.912 28 GP (CBS) ‘22/‘23
.921 11 GP (LA) ‘22/‘23

OTT
.890 55GP ‘23/24

Four solid seasons. Five horrid seasons. Four of those with 3+ GAA and one season with 4+ GAA. So even if teams weren’t great, it’s not like he was seeing a ton of rubber and making shit tons of saves. He was seeing a shit ton of rubber and performing poorly.

That’s some pretty risky results for a $3Mx4 year CAP commitment. And a lot of money with long term for what is obviously going to be a backup role.

Maybe he’ll turn the corner in Boston. But we gave up a lot to make that bet. Linus with or without an extension was worth a late first by himself.

Ottawa should have paid US for taking on that contract. Not the other way around.

:leafs
Still doesn’t mean he played on good teams.
So why did they trade for the dog crap with four years left?
they see him as a good option. Who cares what we think. He will have to prove his worth. I’m sure we all watched him play 75 plus games to give a honest evaluation.

Reactions: dangermike

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Essensa did a heck of a job cleaning up Ullmark's game coming from Buffalo where he was all arms and legs. Even from Year 1 in Boston to Year 2 there was a noticeable difference in his movements. Much more compact and clean.

Even Swayman since he broke in. Remember when he started in Boston he used to come out and challenge shooters a bit too much and would lose his angle a bit but that part of his game is practically gone now.

Oh there's no doubt that Bob Essensa is a prince among goalie coaches and a wonder worker. I don't think any of his charges have ever been outright bad, and we know just how great he can make proper talent. Still have Rask hanging about the place too, a fellow Finn who may know how best to help Korpisalo get better. So if anyone can make this work, it's Boston. I just don't think the scale of what's being attempted here should be underestimated.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

they see him as a good option. Who cares what we think. He will have to prove his worth. I’m sure we all watched him play 75 plus games to give a honest evaluation.

So what would you like us to do on this forum? Just respond to every move with, "Gotta wait to see what happens?"

Just never say anything negative? Not evaluate anything?

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I think I see the problem now, I’ve been under the impression the Boston Bruins were still an NHL team competing in a league with other teams for a cup but it’s becoming quite clear it’s just a ego stroking project for Don Sweeney, Neely and apparently a pro goalie school for Goalie Bob to rebuild questionable tendies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Oh there's no doubt that Bob Essensa is a prince among goalie coaches and a wonder worker. I don't think any of his charges have ever been outright bad, and we know just how great he can make proper talent. Still have Rask hanging about the place too, a fellow Finn who may know how best to help Korpisalo get better. So if anyone can make this work, it's Boston. I just don't think the scale of what's being attempted here should be underestimated.

I can't say I've ever watched Korpisalo closely. He did have that huge game in the bubble against TB where it went to the 5th OT and he stopped 85 of 88 in a losing cause. His numbers in the playoffs that year were outstanding his team couldn't score.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We have Korpisalo for 4 more years.

Not necessarily.
He could be waived. Would save a little over a million more.
He could be bought out at a low hit. $350K this year.
He could be traded with some form of retention.

What Im saying is he’s not necessarily here for that long if things dont work out.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I have no doubt he will have a .910 or even higher save percentage behind our defense and playing all the easier matchups.

I hope for his career he does and he revitalizes himself. Best of luck.

My issue is that Ullmark was the most movable asset we had to bring back help for the playoff roster. Now he’s gone and we have a guy who will be battling with brazeau for 4th line RW next to Beecher.

It’s just a terrible return because korpisalo isn’t going to be playing playoff games unless something goes terribly wrong

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Can’t wait until Korpisalo puts up a decent season and the usual suspects act smug about being right about the trade, completely missing the point about why people were mad about it.
While taking up way too much cap causing missed deadline acquisitions or free agents that would actually play in the playoff. Yet they will say it’s a win to have the best tandem and it’s sour grapes. It’s not even like the guy has a year or two left, 4 damn years.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Not necessarily.
He could be waived. Would save a little over a million more.
He could be bought out at a low hit. $350K this year.
He could be traded with some form of retention.

What Im saying is he’s not necessarily here for that long if things dont work out.
The buyout is more likely. They basically bought a draft pick.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
While taking up way too much cap causing missed deadline acquisitions or free agents that would actually play in the playoff. Yet they will say it’s a win to have the best tandem and it’s sour grapes. It’s not even like the guy has a year or two left, 4 damn years.

Was really nice of Don to bail Staios out of a disaster of a contract and give him a much better replacement at a much better aav.

Just so generous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad