Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
It looks like If the Bruins didn't take on Korpisalo's contract, they would've had room to keep DeBrusk (assuming Swayman signed a contract around $6-7m).

Oops.

Reactions: BigRig4

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ullmark came from a winner and has done some winning, Debrincat and Chychryn were both on bottom feeding teams with a reputation for offence and questionable defensive play and questionable hockey sense and that’s exactly what we saw

Reason I’m bullish on Ullmark is Travis Green is going to make it easy to be a goalie in Ottawa - despite his bad Vancouver teams Green made the reputation of Markstrom and Markstrom had good stats despite being on a bad team - Markstrom become an NHL starter and a top goalie under Green so we know our system will be goalie friendly and we’ll See About everything else
TBF part of it is Ian Clark who is one of the best goalie coaches in the league. That's why Silovs also looks to be extremely promising and could become a starter sooner than later.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
He seems like a very confident guy, you like to see that in a goalie.
Also very personable and chatty, something you don't always see in goalies. Makes me think of Brodeur in that regard.

I feel like him and Forsberg are gonna get along great. Both seem super easy going and social dudes, and both Swedish.

You love to see it.
It seems they're also good friends, played as a tandem in Sweden (Modo I think).

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Ullmark came from a winner and has done some winning, Debrincat and Chychryn were both on bottom feeding teams with a reputation for offence and questionable defensive play and questionable hockey sense and that’s exactly what we saw

Reason I’m bullish on Ullmark is Travis Green is going to make it easy to be a goalie in Ottawa - despite his bad Vancouver teams Green made the reputation of Markstrom and Markstrom had good stats despite being on a bad team - Markstrom become an NHL starter and a top goalie under Green so we know our system will be goalie friendly and we’ll See About everything else
Adding a true top 4 RD and vets who play the right way will also help.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I get that feeling with Ullmark...one that he might be a franchise changer. However....I thought that with Chychrun until he shat himself so badly, so I quite suck at assessing immediately after acquisition.

FWIW - I think this is something I'm particularily good at tbh. I was critical of both the Chychrun and DeBrincat acquisitions. Basically no one listened to me despite everything I was fearful eventaully coming to fruition.

DeBrincat and Chychrun were what I like to refer to as luxuries. Ottawa didn't need a top-end winger or another good LHD. Sure, they were great individual players - but I thought it was bad asset management to bolster positions of strength, when there were clear holes that needed to be filled. In a salary cap world, it's really though to compete if you're not optimizing stuff like that.

That said - I love the Ullmark aquisition. Even if I ignore the (great) value aspect of the deal, Ullmark has too good of a track record to ignore. He should be above average at least, and if he's not - then it's a sign Ottawa needs to blow up the entire damn team because something is way too wrong at that point. Worst case scenario (assuming he's healthy) is we learn a lot. Best case is he's what we're realistically hoping for.

Note:
I also like the Jensen for Chychrun swap from a team success POV, despite not loving it from a value standpoint. Jensen was near the bottom of my shortlist of semi-realsitic options we could target, but he was on the list. There just weren't many realisitc good options, and I'm just happy Staois found a way to get one of them.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
FWIW - I think this is something I'm particularily good at tbh. I was critical of both the Chychrun and DeBrincat acquisitions. Basically no one listened to me despite everything I was fearful eventaully coming to fruition.

DeBrincat and Chychrun were what I like to refer to as luxuries. Ottawa didn't need a top-end winger or another good LHD. Sure, they were great individual players - but I thought it was bad asset management to bolster positions of strength, when there were clear holes that needed to be filled. In a salary cap world, it's really though to compete if you're not optimizing stuff like that.

That said - I love the Ullmark aquisition. Even if I ignore the (great) value aspect of the deal, Ullmark has too good of a track record to ignore. He should be above average at least, and if he's not - then it's a sign Ottawa needs to blow up the entire damn team because something is way too wrong at that point. Worst case scenario (assuming he's healthy) is we learn a lot. Best case is he's what we're realistically hoping for.

Note:
I also like the Jensen for Chychrun swap from a team success POV, despite not loving it from a value standpoint. Jensen was near the bottom of my shortlist of semi-realsitic options we could target, but he was on the list. There just weren't many realisitc good options, and I'm just happy Staois found a way to get one of them.
And yet 2 offseasons in a row after they moved Debrincat they went out and got a guy to be a top 6 winger, at a pretty meaningful caphit. It would appear that they strongly disagree with you on that point.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And yet 2 offseasons in a row after they moved Debrincat they went out and got a guy to be a top 6 winger, at a pretty meaningful caphit. It would appear that they strongly disagree with you on that point.
I think in the modern NHL you need a top 9, not a top 6. I would agree with the OP there were more pressing needs when we went out and got Chychrun and DBC, but I do think that a 24 yr old scoring winger was a perfectly reasonable add, just not one that didn't come with term or an extension.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Top 6 winger doesn't equate to top end winger. Based on production, DeBrincat is more high end than Tank or Perron, but the latter two were better fit for our team due to age, contract length, etc...

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

1. Neither are 'top-end wingers' like DeBrincat was at the time.

2. You're completely ignoring the asset management aspect of what I said.

Maybe you misread what I said, but otherwise your reply is pretty awful.

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Could a better coach have made them better? Probably
Guy Boucher was able to install a defense-first system when he was here and got the team into the playoffs. So yes, I think a better coach who preaches defense-first can make the GA/GP better and get us into the playoffs. If Green adopts a "my way or the highway" "defence-first" approach and is backed up by Staios in applying accountability, then I think we can make the playoffs.

Reactions: LiseL

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Top 6 winger doesn't equate to top end winger. Based on production, DeBrincat is more high end than Tank or Perron, but the latter two were better fit for our team due to age, contract length, etc...
Regardless, both Tarasenko and Perron were/are in the top 6 of highest paid forwards on the team. We can slice and dice the difference between a "top-end" winger and a "top 6" winger but this management agrees on the philosophical principle that more scoring is needed in the top 6.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think in the modern NHL you need a top 9, not a top 6. I would agree with the OP there were more pressing needs when we went out and got Chychrun and DBC, but I do think that a 24 yr old scoring winger was a perfectly reasonable add, just not one that didn't come with term or an extension.
I am not sure why you use a top 6 in the old days versus a top 9 in today's "modern" NHL. The better NHL teams (defined a those that get into the playoffs and are in the final 8, final 4 or final 2), always required a better "team" consisting of higher quality players (versus the lower end teams) at more positions in the roster lineup.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Still unbelievable that we traded away a AHL goalie for a Vezina winner!

Feels good!!
Have to wait and see what Dean Letourneau (not necessarily who we would have taken but for simplicity..) turns into but if Ullmark re signs and posts good numbers then it should be a win.
Either way it was necessary to bring in a real goaltender.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
1. Neither are 'top-end wingers' like DeBrincat was at the time.

2. You're completely ignoring the asset management aspect of what I said.

Maybe you misread what I said, but otherwise your reply is pretty awful.
"to bolster positions of strength"...and yet in consecutive offseasons they get Tarasenko and Perron. How is it a position of strength if 2 different management groups are looking to add to the scoring winger position? Also, how can it even be a position of strength for a team was 20th last year in GF, 18th the year before, 26th in 21-22, 20th in 20-21, 23rd in 2019-20, etc.

Since Brady joined the club, this team is 20th in the league in GF. I would say scoring is one of the key issues with this team and a top-end winger like Debrincat is almost exactly what this team needs. Maybe your assessment is incorrect or you don't understand what you're writing...

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
"to bolster positions of strength"...and yet in consecutive offseasons they get Tarasenko and Perron. How is it a position of strength if 2 different management groups are looking to add to the scoring winger position? Also, how can it even be a position of strength for a team was 20th last year in GF, 18th the year before, 26th in 21-22, 20th in 20-21, 23rd in 2019-20, etc.

Since Brady joined the club, this team is 20th in the league in GF. I would say scoring is one of the key issues with this team and a top-end winger like Debrincat is almost exactly what this team needs. Maybe your assessment is incorrect or you don't understand what you're writing...
A PP scoring winger that cant drive the play at 5 on 5 is not what this team needs at all. Blatantly obvious when he got here and all 82 games he played. They need more scoring but not the type of scoring he brings. Was an all time terrible trade by a terrible GM that ran the team like he was playing a video game. No moves were calculated, none made sense based on the roster the sens currently had. No idea how you are still defending it. All they have done is lose and now the asset is hanging in the balance because they need Ullmark to work out and they need to sign him to an extension.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stutzle had 39 goals two seasons ago & just 18 goals last season, that is probably the biggest reason goals for were down. Three seasons ago Norris had 35 goals, only played 8 games two seasons ago & last season played 50 games with a wonky shoulder & had 16 goals. Those two guys plus Perron if everyone stays healthy would definitely increase goal scoring for this team.

I also expect Batherson to have a great yr & if Chabot can have an injury free yr should also increase scoring for this team. It really seems like if this team can stay healthy for one season they would be a much more offensive team & put up a lot more goals for.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

"I would never suggest Dorion was a great GM"

Bolding Dorion was a great GM and acting like the rest of what was said doesn't exist, is just pathetic... but I'm sure you won;'t understand that either. lol

Reactions: bert

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Guy Boucher was able to install a defense-first system when he was here and got the team into the playoffs. So yes, I think a better coach who preaches defense-first can make the GA/GP better and get us into the playoffs. If Green adopts a "my way or the highway" "defence-first" approach and is backed up by Staios in applying accountability, then I think we can make the playoffs.
it wasn't defense with Boucher. People have misunderstood his system.

Boucher saw the game as a NASCAR race. Go around a track counter clockwise.

Karlsson, Cicci, Weidman...RHDs, puck movers
3 of the 4 centers were lefties.. Perfect to receive a pass from the RHD who is carrying it out
RW were big (Stone, Ryan , et all).. The LHC would feed the puck to the right side and they did the work

Now once the puck was lost. The center (Sens' center) stood at the right of the net (His right, the goalies left). That forced their D men to go right. Other teams had LHD as puck movers. So now, they were on their backhand.

It forced a backhand pass... clumsy

The Sens LW, hung back and clogged the left side (Our left, their right). On D, the Sens had Methot, Phaneuf and BOBO as LHD. Big, mean and physical.

Not defensive, but awkward to play against.

Why it collapsed?
Meth gone in expansion.
Karlsson injured
.Cecci the yips.
Midnight struck on Dion.
Karlsson/Hoffman and the harassment scandal.
Kyle Turris wanting to be paid
Midnight struck on Bobby Ryan and Zack Smith

One miserable summer of 2017 and into 2018 sank the ship.

Green needs to implement some system/style to make this team awkward to play against.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
"I would never suggest Dorion was a great GM"

Bolding Dorion was a great GM and acting like the rest of what was said doesn't exist, is just pathetic... but I'm sure you won;'t understand that either. lol
I literally have no idea what you're talking about. Even more concerning though, I don't think you do either.

• Haha
Reactions: KevinRedkey

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Stutzle had 39 goals two seasons ago & just 18 goals last season, that is probably the biggest reason goals for were down. Three seasons ago Norris had 35 goals, only played 8 games two seasons ago & last season played 50 games with a wonky shoulder & had 16 goals. Those two guys plus Perron if everyone stays healthy would definitely increase goal scoring for this team.

I also expect Batherson to have a great yr & if Chabot can have an injury free yr should also increase scoring for this team. It really seems like if this team can stay healthy for one season they would be a much more offensive team & put up a lot more goals for.
Also Pinto playing all year instead of half the year should also improve the numbers.

Reactions: aragorn

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
1721593541656.png

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
it wasn't defense with Boucher. People have misunderstood his system.

Boucher saw the game as a NASCAR race. Go around a track counter clockwise.

Karlsson, Cicci, Weidman...RHDs, puck movers
3 of the 4 centers were lefties.. Perfect to receive a pass from the RHD who is carrying it out
RW were big (Stone, Ryan , et all).. The LHC would feed the puck to the right side and they did the work

Now once the puck was lost. The center (Sens' center) stood at the right of the net (His right, the goalies left). That forced their D men to go right. Other teams had LHD as puck movers. So now, they were on their backhand.

It forced a backhand pass... clumsy

The Sens LW, hung back and clogged the left side (Our left, their right). On D, the Sens had Methot, Phaneuf and BOBO as LHD. Big, mean and physical.

Not defensive, but awkward to play against.

Why it collapsed?
Meth gone in expansion.
Karlsson injured
.Cecci the yips.
Midnight struck on Dion.
Karlsson/Hoffman and the harassment scandal.
Kyle Turris wanting to be paid
Midnight struck on Bobby Ryan and Zack Smith

One miserable summer of 2017 and into 2018 sank the ship.

Green needs to implement some system/style to make this team awkward to play against.

Wasn’t the system Erik Karlsson?

Reactions: LiseL and Relapsing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad