Line Combos: Lineup for 2024-2025

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think with a strong camp Florian Xhekaj will jump a lot of other forward prospects and suspects on Montreal’s depth chart.
It all depends on whether they think he can reach a higher ceiling by dominating the AHL in a bigger role, or whether he would benefit more from going right for that bottom six role and learn/earn it. FX is a guy that could be left to cook, but if he does jump the depth chart as you say, the ability to unload a veteran forward without exposing guys who aren't ready is great for the window.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I think with a strong camp Florian Xhekaj will jump a lot of other forward prospects and suspects on Montreal’s depth chart.
I would like to see him play at least one year in the AHL… We have a lot of bottom 6 players anyway. Next year Armia and dvorak are leaving. There will be more space. AHL is also a good indicator. if Xhekaj isnt able to produce on regular basis in that league, he won’t in the NHL. Let him cook there and we will make a better picture about him

Reactions: bsl and Habs10Habs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would like to see him play at least one year in the AHL… We have a lot of bottom 6 players anyway. Next year Armia and dvorak are leaving. There will be more space. AHL is also a good indicator. if Xhekaj isnt able to produce on regular basis in that league, he won’t in the NHL. Let him cook there and we will make a better picture about him
Perhaps. But it’s hard to keep a good man down.

I watched Florian closely last year and I think that he has the size, skill and skating to surprise a lot of people. If he takes the next developmental step, Florian may give team management no choice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NHL.com project Andy in the top6

Say it ain't so Marty 😭

Anderson actually does much better when he plays with talent. Expecting a rebound season from him by playing him bottom 6 is exactly what we did last year and he went backwards.

You either support the player and his talent or you off load them. Anderson belongs with a legit center. He needs motivation unfortunately... he's that type and you either acknowledge it or ignore it. If you choose to ignore it but also expect a rebound, you are reaching.

It's the same thing with the Kings/Dubois. Pay a big price to acquire, big contract, and then play him 15 min a game on the 3rd line expecting results. Kings management have lots of blame on that situation. With Anderson, we are not getting a rebound with him playing 3rd or 4th line with Dvorak or Evans.

Reactions: bsl

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Anderson actually does much better when he plays with talent. Expecting a rebound season from him by playing him bottom 6 is exactly what we did last year and he went backwards.

You either support the player and his talent or you off load them. Anderson belongs with a legit center. He needs motivation unfortunately... he's that type and you either acknowledge it or ignore it. If you choose to ignore it but also expect a rebound, you are reaching.

It's the same thing with the Kings/Dubois. Pay a big price to acquire, big contract, and then play him 15 min a game on the 3rd line expecting results. Kings management have lots of blame on that situation. With Anderson, we are not getting a rebound with him playing 3rd or 4th line with Dvorak or Evans.
If there is no trade the rest of the summer, then more than likely Anderson gets a shot in the top 6
Pretty sure he started there last year, and played himself down the lineup. He should have been given the Armia treatment, it worked for Armia, and could benefit Anderson. Armia handled the demotion to the AHL very well, and came back better for it.............

I was a huge fan of Andy until last year, when he played like a sook................let's hope for a rebound season, does he deserve being in the top 6? I would say no, but MSL will make that call.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

I liked Anderson until last year. I think right now he remains a useful 3rd line winger, scoring 30 points. The only problem with him is his salary. I don’t really know what kind of rebound we are expecting about Anderson at 30 years old. I would prefer to give better ice time to Newhook and Roy on second line personnally.

Reactions: BLONG7

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

If there is no trade the rest of the summer, then more than likely Anderson gets a shot in the top 6
Pretty sure he started there last year, and played himself down the lineup. He should have been given the Armia treatment, it worked for Armia, and could benefit Anderson. Armia handled the demotion to the AHL very well, and came back better for it.............

I was a huge fan of Andy until last year, when he played like a sook................let's hope for a rebound season, does he deserve being in the top 6? I would say no, but MSL will make that call.

I liked Anderson until last year. I think right now he remains a useful 3rd line winger, scoring 30 points. The only problem with him is his salary. I don’t really know what kind of rebound we are expecting about Anderson at 30 years old. I would prefer to give better ice time to Newhook and Roy on second line personnally.
I remember Marty mentioning that he's trying to teach Anderson how he wants him to play (which is more cerebral than his normal north-south with speed) and it might've been too hard for him to adjust during the season.

I think what happened is that he probably started to overthink everything and stopped playing his brand of hockey.

Hoping that after a year of trying to internalize these new concepts, he'll be a better contributor this year than last.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I remember Marty mentioning that he's trying to teach Anderson how he wants him to play (which is more cerebral than his normal north-south with speed) and it might've been too hard for him to adjust during the season.

I think what happened is that he probably started to overthink everything and stopped playing his brand of hockey.

Hoping that after a year of trying to internalize these new concepts, he'll be a better contributor this year than last.
The main thing MSL is trying to teach is speed management and it's just not working well for Anderson. I don't think he struggled with adjusting to the concept as I did see him applying it but it led to him almost never driving to the net with speed. So I don't think internalizing the concepts more will help, he needs to get back to what made him successful which is using his speed and shot to create havoc. And that somewhat falls on MSL to push him to get back towards that drive the net style of play even when it's not the absolute best hockey play or the play that most enables longer puck possession.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The main thing MSL is trying to teach is speed management and it's just not working well for Anderson. I don't think he struggled with adjusting to the concept as I did see him applying it but it led to him almost never driving to the net with speed. So I don't think internalizing the concepts more will help, he needs to get back to what made him successful which is using his speed and shot to create havoc. And that somewhat falls on MSL to push him to get back towards that drive the net style of play even when it's not the absolute best hockey play or the play that most enables longer puck possession.
Anderson is like a golf cart... he got 2 speeds - zero and very slow.

Reactions: the

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Anderson is like a golf cart... he got 2 speeds - zero and very slow.

The problem with Anderson is processing speed (and fit/situation), not actual speed. We have publicly available player tracking and know that even last season Anderson was among the fastest players in the NHL and frequently had those bursts of speed. But he's not a playmaker and doesn't read plays all that well comparatively, and None of Montreal's centers are both complementary to his play style or good enough a fit. Suzuki is patient and cerebral and does better with player that can think the game well, Monahan is more of a net front guy (and relatively slow) and Evans and Dvorak play very simple games. Dach was/is the most complementary (which is why the plan was to have a line of Newhook-Dach-Anderson last season), but he only played 4 periods.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The problem with Anderson is processing speed (and fit/situation), not actual speed. We have publicly available player tracking and know that even last season Anderson was among the fastest players in the NHL and frequently had those bursts of speed. But he's not a playmaker and doesn't read plays all that well comparatively, and None of Montreal's centers are both complementary to his play style or good enough a fit. Suzuki is patient and cerebral and does better with player that can think the game well, Monahan is more of a net front guy (and relatively slow) and Evans and Dvorak play very simple games. Dach was/is the most complementary (which is why the plan was to have a line of Newhook-Dach-Anderson last season), but he only played 4 periods.
Good assessment.
The thing that killed me most about Anderson's play was his complete inability to have any effect whatsoever in his own zone.
There are certain aspects of his game he has to bring regardless of his Ozone play.
I'm hoping we will be making a concerted effort to cut down on our Goals against and the forwards have to buy in to owning their space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The clear trends with Anderson are as follows:
1) He does play good in big games
2) He does play good when playing in top 6 and with a good center.
3) He does not play well with centers like Evans or Dvorak in a bottom 6 role

Like it or not, this guy needs special management and motivation. When used correctly, he is affective. When he is placed on the bottom 6, he fades. It's a clear trend

Anderson at his best is very good. Anderson at his worse is very bad. I think it's similar to how the Kings managed Dubois last year. The low and high points are a wide range and he's not consistent.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If by some miracle, Anderson is able to internalize and integrate the concepts, and puts up a long awaited career year, watch out!

"Adding" a 25g/50pt power horse winger to our top 6 would be about as perfect an upgrade as we could find...

Reactions: bsl and Habs10Habs

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

Like it or not, this guy needs special management and motivation. When used correctly, he is affective. When he is placed on the bottom 6, he fades. It's a clear trend

Anderson at his best is very good. Anderson at his worse is very bad. I think it's similar to how the Kings managed Dubois last year. The low and high points are a wide range and he's not consistent.

I take issue with "clear trend" # 2.

Last year he played 164 5v5 mins with Suzuki, and 194 mins with Newhook. Between all that combined time, he had 1 point.

Looking at on-ice splits - xGF, CF and most other on ice metrics tank when he's with these two, and immediately improve when he's not there. He played decently with Monahan, but that doesn't make a trend.

If Josh Anderson wants to be a top6 player he needs to play like one.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Re: preseason

I don’t know how it would feel to be Josh Anderson coming into this preseason. In his Habs career he has been largely terrible, on the periphery, and irrelevant. Under MSL he’s noted as struggling to play in the offensive system and has had some truly awful stretches.

Does he come in all jocular and confident, one of the “core” guys? Does he come in all serious-business? Does he walk around with the swagger of a veteran (and the relatively low-effort going through the motions style veterans exhibit in the preseason)?

I ask because he’s getting lapped: as an attacker it is clear Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach and now even Newhook are ahead of him.

Maybe he feels comfortable getting lost in the mix with Armia, Gallagher, Dvorak, and Evans.

This is why I’d really like another top6 player — I don’t trust Anderson and I won’t be fooled by his “potential”… that goose is cooked! Even if he somehow scores 50 this year you still can’t rely on him from game to game.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He struggled early on, big time................and played himself down the lineup.
I felt he then went full on sook about his limemates, and did not try to get back in the top 6
Very disappointed.
That said, I do think he can rebound if he challenges himself....would be great for the team no matter where he lands in the lineup. It's on him, and not on his line mates to show he still has some talent.

It seems with Andy, the old adage, Coach I need more TOI............Coach says, play better and you will get it........

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I take issue with "clear trend" # 2.

Last year he played 164 5v5 mins with Suzuki, and 194 mins with Newhook. Between all that combined time, he had 1 point.

Looking at on-ice splits - xGF, CF and most other on ice metrics tank when he's with these two, and immediately improve when he's not there. He played decently with Monahan, but that doesn't make a trend.

If Josh Anderson wants to be a top6 player he needs to play like one.

He needs to play like one yes but he also needs a more consistent spot. They go hand and hand. You can count the min's but that ends up being spread over the whole season. It's not like he gets 10 games in a row in that spot. I've been paying attention. Kind of a side angle that don't mean much but Newhook is not a true center. I would not count that as part of your formula. Newhook is a strong middle 6F who can play center if you need him.

Not trying to make excuses. It's actual context and yes, he is a pro and should show up each shift. However, If anybody expects a rebound from Anderson playing bottom 6 min's this season, they are reaching. Especially if he is on the 4th line. I'm not saying we should place him in the top 6 on our roster but that's how you will get the best results. He's not a fit for us so it would be nice to have him included in a Laine package. Don't ask for retention and send Anderson back with futures. Not sure if the Jackets would want him back or if Anderson has them on his NTC list but they could possibly try to flip him for futures if he rebounds with them playing top 6 min's.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
The upcoming season should be super exciting coming in with practically the same line-up as last season and will be another season of tankers celebrating with another potentially high draft pick. If it ain't broke, why fix it. lol.

Reactions: Guess

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The upcoming season should be super exciting coming in with practically the same line-up as last season and will be another season of tankers celebrating with another potentially high draft pick. If it ain't broke, why fix it. lol.
The same lineup isn't the same lineup though.

The combined scoring of Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky before they were put together was 0.625 goals per game. After being put together it became 1.22 goals per game. By being together all season we could be looking at an additional 20 goals without any player improvement.

Monahan, Newhook, Dach combined for 71 points, and I would wager Newhook and Dach combine for much more then 71 points by themselves even if they aren't playing 82 games each.

And of course some players likely will improve and take steps in their development. Rookies will make the team or get called up and bring a lot of excitement.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
The same lineup isn't the same lineup though.

The combined scoring of Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky before they were put together was 0.625 goals per game. After being put together it became 1.22 goals per game. By being together all season we could be looking at an additional 20 goals without any player improvement.

Monahan, Newhook, Dach combined for 71 points, and I would wager Newhook and Dach combine for much more then 71 points by themselves even if they aren't playing 82 games each.

And of course some players likely will improve and take steps in their development. Rookies will make the team or get called up and bring a lot of excitement.
So I'll pencil you in as an optimist then shall we.lol
Guess we'll see down the road. And what rookies will even get a look without injuries?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So I'll pencil you in as an optimist then shall we.lol
Guess we'll see down the road. And what rookies will even get a look without injuries?
Roy is still a rookie and has a good shot at making the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Hutson beats out Strubble and makes the team out of camp either.

And it's not a case of their being no injuries, but Dach playing 70 games vs 2 games is still a huge difference maker even though he still misses games to injury.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We won’t have the exact same line-up than last year, cause every year there are some surprise…
If I had some projection :
-Logan Mailloux is starting in Montreal on a 3rd pair.
-Joshua Roy on the top 6
-Lane hutson. I will wait for the camp. If he is really good, they will keep him. If he has some struggle, he is gonna be sent down.
-Oliver Kapanen will stay In Montreal

Kapanen and Barret Boullet definitely have an opportunity to steal a spot.

I'm interested to see where MSL uses Dvo. Hopefully not 3c (or 2c).

We really need to trade another dman. I'm not crazy about having Barron and Struble or Harris sitting as 7th and 8th dmen for long stretches, or Steuble playing in Laval. If Mailloux makes it then all three are out of the top 6.

Reactions: Hins77

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovský
Gallagher - Newhook - Dach
Armia - Evans - Anderson
Pearson - Dvorak

Guhle - Harris
Hutson - Barron
Matheson - Savard
Xhekaj

Montembeault - Primeau