Lines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
He played C in juniors at times but his entire career in the NHL has been at wing. That being said, his style of play is more positionless. We know he is defensively responsible and he floats all around the offensive zone. The only issue I can see is faceoffs, but if you move Tavares to wing and have him take them, we should be alright.

I’m an optimist.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Odd site. The numbers don't add up, and there are a number of 5 on 5 line combinations that have only two players? It also shows Tavares and Nylander together only 55.2% of the time.

According to them, 29 of Tavares' 45 5 on 5 points (2/3) were with Nylander, while barely half of Nylander's (30 of 60) were with Tavares. If you assume their figures are right, it's pretty clear which player is dependant of the other.

But anyway, your point is that Bennett is as good a centre as Tavares? Since Bennett averaged the fourth most ice time as a C for Florida, I guess you think Tavares should be the Leafs' 4C?

1-it's not 5v5 combinations but Even strenght so 4v4 it's even strenght or 3v3

2- they only show like 10 most popular line combinaison. So it's not 55,2% of all jt ice time but 55,2 of 77,5 % of jt ice time. So if you making a rules of 3 on 100% = 71,1% of total jt ice time.

so if he get 29 of his 45 even strenght pts playing wih nylander (64,4% of his productuon) playing around around 65 to 71% of the time with nylander... so at the end the fact jt played a lot with willy didn't boost JT production like you said

And bennett is #2 C behind Barkov in ice-time, verhaeghe and Reinhart are not playing at C but as winger.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Nylander at center doesnt work.. you need to be defensively responsible

I understand that potential shortcoming. He can work on it. $12.5M x 8 and a potential A on his jersey. I think we try to make it work, it is why I like Marner and Holmberg with him. They are defensively sound.

It's not perfect, but people pencil Domi and JT in and they both have D issues too.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Centers need speed and strength to control the ice from blue paint to blue paint. Speed to dictate pace and be available in both danger zones, and strength to battle in both danger zones.

Willy has speed in spades and his strength on the puck and nasty stick work are sufficient - ditto IQ and playmaking. His defensive acumen is fine as long as he embraces the role (the test).

Marner is best on the wing to mitigate his shortcomings.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1-it's not 5v5 combinations but Even strenght so 4v4 it's even strenght or 3v3

2- they only show like 10 most popular line combinaison. So it's not 55,2% of all jt ice time but 55,2 of 77,5 % of jt ice time. So if you making a rules of 3 on 100% = 71,1% of total jt ice time.

so if he get 29 of his 45 even strenght pts playing wih nylander (64,4% of his productuon) playing around around 65 to 71% of the time with nylander... so at the end the fact jt played a lot with willy didn't boost JT production like you said

And bennett is #2 C behind Barkov in ice-time, verhaeghe and Reinhart are not playing at C but as winger.
So they don't give full information but only partial and you have to guess about the rest? Good site.

Even more to the point, if Willy gets only 50% of his production while playing 71% of the time with Tavares, I guess it's more a matter of JT dragging Willy down.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So they don't give full information but only partial and you have to guess about the rest? Good site.

Even more to the point, if Willy gets only 50% of his production while playing 71% of the time with Tavares, I guess it's more a matter of JT dragging Willy down.

Yeah maybe Nylander was producing at higher without JT, can also mean he wqs prodcing more at 4v4 or 3v3. I dobt know i don't have those number but in any case that's mean Jt is not a good 2C for this reason...

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Bad post is bad.

Marner isn’t a C.
Marner won’t be traded.
A Nylander isn’t on a NHL contract and mostly hasn’t been good in his career.
Cowan hasn’t played a game in the NHL, but he’s a first liner suddenly!!

Embarrassing.
Point is Marner should be 2nd line C absolutely has the skillset to play the position, yes face offs would be a challenge for him. With two scoring wingers & more open ice for Marner would be lethal. A. Nylander in his ,26 games with Columbus after being called up from the AHL, scored 11 NHL goals so a 35 goal pace. He is that skilled & why he was touted & drafted similarly to his brother. It is what's between the ears that is a work in progress, didn't happen immediately for Willie either & the holdout didn't help. Alexander Nylander scored 17 goals in 46 games total 32 points also last season in the AHL, he is at the very least worthy of an AHL contract. Tavares as your 2nd line C means another early exit from the playoffs, goodbye Shanahan. As your 3rd line C behind a star player, then you can compete with McDavid, Draisitil & Henrique. Edmonton wins the Cup next season it will take a major roster overhaul to beat that. Your 4 lines posted achieve that. You are not familiar you Easton Cowan you will be soon enough, like Mitch he has vision, speed, playmaking, can also score & play in all situations including the PP & PK.

• Haha
Reactions: Fogelhund

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Knies - - Matthews - - Domi
McMann - Marner - Nylander
Minten - - Tavares - - Cowan
Dewar - - Kampf - - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren
Hakanpaa/Klingberg/Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Domi's scoring went to almost elite levels when he played with Matthews. Matthews has shattered all Leaf goal scoring while playing with Marner so: 2 Knights with the new King

11 34 16

JT and Will aren't perfect together but they can be effective when Will is on top of his game, the problem could be John's skating. He has looked better this summer at the FPC though. Knies should stick easily,I can't wait to see him this year another yr older and with a whole year in the NHL under his belt, he's going to make some defencemen really miserable on puck retrieval

23 91 88

Do the Leafs have another centre qualified for 3rd line duty, Holmberg? Minten? Steeves? Jarnkrok? If Minten, who's been working really hard at FPC, does get the job I think they'll have to have at least one winger with a lot of NHL experience, which is, as we know in short supply around here.

I like Bobby McMann as a 3rd line winger, he's big physical, has good puck skills, a nose for the net, and seems to have an above average hockeyQ. A guy like him is wasted as a 4th liner imco. That said.

74 39 19

If it were me I'd trade Kampf but they probably won't so, also if they re-sign Robertson which isn't clear ATM, and although he may be over qualified for fourth line duty (could possibly bump 74 off the third) he also could have talked his way off the team, if so than it opens up a spot for Dewar or Steeves. Cowan has impressed so far this summer with his intensity, stamina and strength. He had a great camp last year and needs to follow it up this year, if so he's the dark horse candidate to stick and stay.

Cowan/89 64/29 46/75

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Knies - - Matthews - - Domi
McMann - Marner - Nylander
Minten - - Tavares - - Cowan
Dewar - - Kampf - - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren
Hakanpaa/Klingberg/Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

🤦‍♂️

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
thusk found a website that shows that Tavares and Nylander spent about 70% of their ES ice time together.

64% of Tavares' points came in that 70% of time with Willy and 36% in the 30% they were apart. Reasonably similar.

But Nylander only scored 50% of his points in the 70% ice time with JT, and 50% in the 30% when they were apart.

Assuming that site is accurate, it's obvious that both, and particularly Nylander, are better separated than together.

Reactions: IPS

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Domi Nylander
McMann JT Cowan
Dewar Holmberg Reaves/Marlie

Trade Jarnkrok and Kampf for picks. Cowan gets his 9 games and if he plays well he stays if not call up a marlie and move Holmberg up to 3rd line or sign A.Nylander and give him his shot

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Grebyonkin-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Mccabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Haley Wickenheiser when ask at Dev Camp said Grebyonkin wasn’t ready yet

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Knies Matthews Domi.

This is a good set of wingers for AM. Obviously Domi can distribute the puck and Knies can pursue, hit and finish. This line has the potential to deliver real value at -$18M for the line. Domi (with PP time) could be a point per gamer (or close) and Knies could develop quickly into 30-30 guy and I would like to see him get some PP time also. Bertuzzi leaving creates an opportunity for Knies.

Holmberg Nylander Marner

Either Holmberg or Nylander (or Marner actually) could centre this line. I like giving Nylander the opportunity and 30 or so games to make it work. Domi playing with Matthews allows us to leverage Marner elsewhere. He has the defensive game (as does Holmberg) to help support Willy's transition back to C. His playmaking could also help Nylander top 40 and approach 50 goals. This line working could finally produce the matchup nightmares we have been talking about since Tavares got here. This also gives Holmberg chance to develop into a legit top nine option (with Cowan, Grebyenkin, and even A. Nylander there if he falters).

Robertson Tavares McMann

This line has worked well in the past and seems well suited for Tavares and 3C. They should get 12 minutes of ES as a night had the potential to kick in 70+ goals and will face more favorable matchups than JT has in his Leafs tenure so far. This gives Robertson the chance to show what he can actually do.

Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

This is a good fourth line (overpaid, but good) that serves a purpose. They can play shit down and they make up there of our top four PKers. They get seven or eight ES minutes and don't hurt us when on the ice.

I think it is important to give the lines a chance to develop chemistry and when injuries hit it would be good to replace the injured guy without juggling the top three lines too much. If Matthews goes down we shift Domi to C and put Grebyenkin, Cowan or Jarnkrok on the wing spot, maybe that is not a top line anymore soner just increase the Nylander and Tavares lines' usage a bit.

On that note, I would like to see Holmberg, Robertson, Grebyenkin, Cowan, Minten, and Steeves at least 300 combined games this year. We need to start integrating youth and injuries will hit.

Rielly Tanev

I don't need to explain this one at all as everyone has it is a pairing. If Tanev can be the partner for Reilly we hope he can this becomes a big addition to this team.

OEL Liljegren

People that aren't really excited about what OEL might do for this unit may not have looked at last year closely enough. He might not the rapidly declining vet that has a buyout in his past, he might be the guy that was finally healthy and stepped in to play a big role on the SC champs. Our pairings our balanced and we don't need huge ES minutes here. If he can help fellow countryman, Lilly develop into a top four D for us this is a huge piece for us.

Benoit McCabe

This worked well for us last year and another year together might help both players continue to grow for us.

Our depth is ok, pretty good is Hakanpaa is a Leaf and playing. Otherwise, Myers, Mermis, and Timmins plus a bunch of Marlies should be capable of of injury and rest fill ins.

Woll (46 gp)
Stolarz (36 gp)

PP1 - Matthews, Domi, Knies, Robertson, Liljegren

PP2 - Marner, Nylander, Tavares, McMann, Rielly

PKers - Kampf, Jarnkrok, Dewar, Marner, Knies, McMann, Nylander, Matthews and Tanev, McCabe, Benoit, OEL

We are the best Leafs team of the Matthews era if:

(1) Our second line has 40+ goal Nylander and a 100 pt Marner on it.

(2) Tanev and Rielly for as a top pairing D and are healthy

(3) Our goaltending is average to above average

We have playoff success if..

(1) We have depth and balanced scoring

(2) Our PK and PP are average or better

(3) One of our three goalies is healthy and hot.

Those seem like three reasonable bets to make or hope for.
Lilly will not be on our first pp unit. He is arguably a low end number 4 or high end number 5
Marner will definitely be on the first powerplay unit

Almost ten years later and the Leafs still haven't figured it out.

Knies/Matthews/Jarnkrok
Tavares/Domi/Cowan
Nylander/Kampf/Marner
*Reaves, Holmberg

The Leafs tell us all hockey is a strong link game.

That elite talent drives results. BUT... if the elite talent on two teams are equal then it's strength of depth that makes a difference. Which is of course the definition of a weak link game.

Which one is it Shanahan?

Is hockey a strong link game? Or is it a weak link game? Why am I asking someone I don't think has a clue anyway?

Even if you answered I would still think you're an idiot.

Keep twisting yourself into knots though. Spouting nonsense you think sounds smart. Not realizing just how incredibly stupid it actually appears for an outsider looking in.

Can't build a winning roster if you can't even figure out the basic tenets of the game first Einstein.
With those lines you don’t have a clue
Janrok is not a top six on any team in the league. You have him on the top line lol
Kampf centering nylander and marner is a joke. He has hands of stone and zero offensive IQ

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Lilly will not be on our first pp unit. He is arguably a low end number 4 or high end number 5
Marner will definitely be on the first powerplay unit

Where Lily ranks in our depth chart has nothing to do with him being a PP option. Some teams may have a 7th D in the line up just because the my can QB and PP. I don't know if the stats support my memory, but I feel like when Rielly was suspended Lilly was good on the PP. I don't know if it led to goals or not.

As for Marner, what if we want two strong units so we don't rely on one that gets shut down every playoff? Marner being on the second would be a way to achieve this. Also, I would like to see what Domi can do with all of Marner's opportunities this year. Play him with Matthew at ES and give him PP1 time. It would be nice to have an 80 point winger for under $4M a year.

Also, if MM wants the big bucks I want to see what he can do without Matthews and PP1 time. Play on the second line and make Willy a 50 goal man.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Where Lily ranks in our depth chart has nothing to do with him being a PP option. Some teams may have a 7th D in the line up just because the my can QB and PP. I don't know if the stats support my memory, but I feel like when Rielly was suspended Lilly was good on the PP. I don't know if it led to goals or not.

As for Marner, what if we want two strong units so we don't rely on one that gets shut down every playoff? Marner being on the second would be a way to achieve this. Also, I would like to see what Domi can do with all of Marner's opportunities this year. Play him with Matthew at ES and give him PP1 time. It would be nice to have an 80 point winger for under $4M a year.

Also, if MM wants the big bucks I want to see what he can do without Matthews and PP1 time. Play on the second line and make Willy a 50 goal man.
I think moving JT off the second line will do about as much towards getting Willy 50.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think moving JT off the second line will do about as much towards getting Willy 50.

I think putting JT on the third line will be good for everyone and I can see Berube being much more about spreading the line up to achieve more depth and balance, which should serve us well in playoffs too.

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann

If Robertson is not there, then we can try Grebyenkin, Cowan, Minten, or Steeves. Maybe even Minten and C and JT at LW?

Holmberg could C line two of not Willy.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
-We are extremely thin at center.

-Our best LW Robertson's status is up in the air

-Kampf and Reaves need to be on the 4th line but cant form a proper shutdown line paired together

-Cowan too good for junior, but won't fit in with our rudderless bottom-6

My best case roster for opening night:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Domi-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren
OEL-Timmins
Benoit

Such little depth though that we're one injury away from disaster.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1724174036678.png

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010

-Kampf and Reaves need to be on the 4th line but cant form a proper shutdown line paired together

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Holmberg-Domi-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren
OEL-Timmins
Benoit

I think realistically this is the D;

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Benoit
OEL-Liljegren
Timmins

Just based off of how Benoit finished the year and performed in the playoffs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Holmberg-Domi-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren
OEL-Timmins
Benoit

Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Holmberg, and Kampf isn't "extremely thin at centre" (Domi should be on Matty's RW).

Knies is our best LW (I see you put him on the top line).

Much better top three lines would be:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Holmberg - Nylander - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - McMann

Holmberg can be switched with either Nylander or Robertson depending on how they fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad