Lines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Putting a player who is hardly more than a 3C at this stage of his career as the #1 centre between the team's two best players (and playing them both out of their natural positions to do so) is bizarre to say the least.

Do you have any justification?
What is your expectations of a 3C let alone a 2C? Lol

Reactions: Sypher04

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Jarnkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Robertson
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves
Extra:Holmberg

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljergren
Benoit-OEL
Extra: Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

LTIR: Hakanpaa

The big addition at the deadline will be a center, or a very defensively responsible left-winger. Lines will shift around for more balance at that point.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
JT has better face off winning percentage and is not barely a 3C
So winning a few more faceoffs (an average of about one per game) is the only criterion for being a 1C?

By that logic, Nylander should have been the 1C in the playoffs, as he has a better winning % over the last 5 playoffs than JT.

And I did not say JT was "barely a 3C" - I said he was hardly more than a 3C now.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What is your expectations of a 3C let alone a 2C? Lol
A centre who can only put up points in the 40s range among centres while playing with one of the best wingers in the league (8th in goals and assists and 5th in points among all wingers - both left and right), is not good 2C calibre.

Consider that last year Nylander had more goals than JT had assists and twice as many assists as JT had goals. Think of what his numbers would have been without Nylander. Then consider how much worse he was last year compared to the year before, and extrapolate that to next year, and tell me if he's a 1C (as the poster I responded to said) or a 2C (as I said), or a 3C.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
A centre who can only put up points in the 40s range among centres while playing with one of the best wingers in the league (8th in goals and assists and 5th in points among all wingers - both left and right), is not good 2C calibre.

Consider that last year Nylander had more goals than JT had assists and twice as many assists as JT had goals. Think of what his numbers would have been without Nylander. Then consider how much worse he was last year compared to the year before, and extrapolate that to next year, and tell me if he's a 1C (as the poster I responded to said) or a 2C (as I said), or a 3C.

so Florida won a stanley cup with a 3C on his top line...

last 2 season Bennet 20 52 points playing along side tkachuk 37 goal 98 pts player in Tkachuk

vs tavares who had 31 goal 72 pts alongside a 44 and 94 pts player

it's pretty close to hintz who was doing with robertson and pavelski

Basically the same number than stamkos with Kucherov and cie...

And nylander is not the reason why JT was producing... The guy jt had a better production vs time played with was bobby Mcmann and not William Nylander

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
so Florida won a stanley cup with a 3C on his top line...

last 2 season Bennet 20 52 points playing along side tkachuk 37 goal 98 pts player in Tkachuk

vs tavares who had 31 goal 72 pts alongside a 44 and 94 pts player

it's pretty close to hintz who was doing with robertson and pavelski

Basically the same number than stamkos with Kucherov and cie...

And nylander is not the reason why JT was producing... The guy jt had a better production vs time played with was bobby Mcmann and not William Nylander
Bennett had the fourth most ice time among centers last year, while Tkachuk led all wingers. Why do I suspect they weren't linemates all year?

Do you actually think about what you post?

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Grebyonkin-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Mccabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
And I did not say JT was "barely a 3C" - I said he was hardly more than a 3C now

and it’s still a completely wrong statement.

JT was 40th in points for C last year with some of those ahead of him not even being actual Centers (ie Guentzel), or used split between C and Wing pretty considerably (ie RNH, Draisaitl)

40th is top third of 2C

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
and it’s still a completely wrong statement.

JT was 40th in points for C last year with some of those ahead of him not even being actual Centers (ie Guentzel), or used split between C and Wing pretty considerably (ie RNH, Draisaitl)

40th is top third of 2C
All while playing with a guy who was fifth among all wingers in points.

I've been critical of his signing for years, but not of him. Now I can see that his game deteriorated last year, and I expect it to do more this year. Especially if he's playing without Nylander, I see him is a lower end 2C who's slow but good at faceoffs.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
All while playing with a guy who was fifth among all wingers in points.

I've been critical of his signing for years, but not of him. Now I can see that his game deteriorated last year, and I expect it to do more this year. Especially if he's playing without Nylander, I see him is a lower end 2C who's slow but good at faceoffs.

Everyone ahead of him and a lot after as well also plays with good players so I’m not sure the relevence.

Reactions: Craig Button

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Bennett had the fourth most ice time among centers last year, while Tkachuk led all wingers. Why do I suspect they weren't linemates all year?

Do you actually think about what you post?

Bennett played basically the same % of time with Tkachuk than JT with Nylander. somewhere around 76-77% of the time. You can easily watch it with frozentool from dobber sport. Both was played somewhere in the 14 min on average ice time at EV.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Domi - Matthews - Nylander
McMann - Tavares -Marner
Robertson- Holmberg - Knies
Dewar - Kampf- Jarnkrok

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Knies Matthews Cowan
A. Nylander Marner W. Nylander
Robertson Tavares Domi
McMann Holmberg Jarncrock

Dewar, Reaves, Kampf, Steeves

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
another gold star thread

lololol.gif

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I mean, he doesn't play centre. I don't know if he ever has, at best it was a decade ago when he was still in the GTHL. You can move around LW-RW, or a C out to either wing, but if you don't play centre, you don't play centre, you're not picking it up at an NHL level a decade late. It's just not transferable, there's so much more going on then wing, they are radically different positions.

Nylander, who did play C all the way through until he hit the NHL, is too far behind the curve now to crack NHL centre, there's proof of concept for it. Marner couldn't possibly.

No point ligating the second part, there's probably literally tens of thousands of posts on it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Knies Matthews Cowan
A. Nylander Marner W. Nylander
Robertson Tavares Domi
McMann Holmberg Jarncrock

Dewar, Reaves, Kampf, Steeves

Bad post is bad.

Marner isn’t a C.
Marner won’t be traded.
A Nylander isn’t on a NHL contract and mostly hasn’t been good in his career.
Cowan hasn’t played a game in the NHL, but he’s a first liner suddenly!!

Embarrassing.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I have thought about this and it's not Marner that moves it is Nylander.

Marner is a RW and on hi final year here. Let's not increase our reliance on him before we resign him, let's not make the fact that he is our 2C be the reason we have to give him what he asks for. Let's build around Nylander and his eight year deal as our 2C to carry a line.

Marner can play RW for Nylander and help Willy defensively and maybe score fifty goals.

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

Maybe Grebyonkin and Cowan and even Steeves can push Robertson and Holmberg for a spot.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Bennett played basically the same % of time with Tkachuk than JT with Nylander. somewhere around 76-77% of the time. You can easily watch it with frozentool from dobber sport. Both was played somewhere in the 14 min on average ice time at EV.
Odd site. The numbers don't add up, and there are a number of 5 on 5 line combinations that have only two players? It also shows Tavares and Nylander together only 55.2% of the time.

According to them, 29 of Tavares' 45 5 on 5 points (2/3) were with Nylander, while barely half of Nylander's (30 of 60) were with Tavares. If you assume their figures are right, it's pretty clear which player is dependant of the other.

But anyway, your point is that Bennett is as good a centre as Tavares? Since Bennett averaged the fourth most ice time as a C for Florida, I guess you think Tavares should be the Leafs' 4C?

Last edited:

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I have thought about this and it's not Marner that moves it is Nylander.

Marner is a RW and on hi final year here. Let's not increase our reliance on him before we resign him, let's not make the fact that he is our 2C be the reason we have to give him what he asks for. Let's build around Nylander and his eight year deal as our 2C to carry a line.

Marner can play RW for Nylander and help Willy defensively and maybe score fifty goals.

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

Maybe Grebyonkin and Cowan and even Steeves can push Robertson and Holmberg for a spot.
Nylander at center doesnt work.. you need to be defensively responsible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad