Lines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Matthews, Tavares, Kampf, Holmberg, Domi, Dewar, Pare, Minten are all C's... or can play... maybe Nylander can as well. That's not thin.

We have depth at every position right now...

We have as many as 9/10 players competing for the last four roster wing spots.

No, it's not the best collection of players in the NHL, but there is a mix of experience, and a bunch of youth fighting for spots at Wing and D....

We are safely four deep at Goalie right now.

Depth isn't the issue here.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Holmberg, and Kampf isn't "extremely thin at centre" (Domi should be on Matty's RW).

Knies is our best LW (I see you put him on the top line).

Much better top three lines would be:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Holmberg - Nylander - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - McMann

Holmberg can be switched with either Nylander or Robertson depending on how they fit.

Putting Nyladner as 2C proves my point about being thin.

Nylander isn't a C. Domi isn't a C. Holmberg probably isn't one either.

Half the people here dont even think Tavares should be a C anymore either.

Our real center depth is Matthews, Tavares, Kampf, Dewar?, Steeves.

Relying on wingers to center lines will always be sub-optimal. Not signing a true 3C was Trelivings biggest failure this off season imo.

And Robertson will outscore Knies next year - either with the Leafs or with another team.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Relying on wingers to center lines will always be sub-optimal. Not signing a true 3C was Trelivings biggest failure this off season imo.

And Robertson will outscore Knies next year - either with the Leafs or with another team.
Nylander was always a C but because of Dubas' mistake he's been used on the wing.

I agree Domi is better suited to be a winger, which is why I have him on Matty's wing.

Holmberg plays both C and LW - that's why I had him on LW, with the possibility of trying him at C.

Almost everyone here thinks Tavares should still be a C - the dispute is whether he is still a 2C or should be dropped to 3C.

I think fixing our biggest problems - goal, defence, and coaching - were more important.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

You missed Minten!

Maybe not, some aren't high on him and believe he slots in around #5 on the centre depth chart. There's also the fact we have an extra fwd on the roster if a kid makes the squad.

As i mentioned earlier, i could see JT stepping into a LW position to play on a line and mentor Minten. Minten is a very mature kid, good defensive acumen, its been said hes like a second coach on the ice. I could see him excelling on a line with JT and Marner. It would allow the follow FWD lineup:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Tavares - Minten - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewer - Kampf - Mcmann
extra: Reavo, Robertson, Cowan? Grebyonkin? (im probably higher on this kid than most)

If Minten doesnt stick as 2c, we have the following:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Dewer - Kampf - Reavo
Probably our strongest lineup to be fair.

As a leaf fan, I'd probably like this the best:
Knies - Matthews - Domi
Mcmann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Minten - Nylander
Grebyonkin - Dewer - Reavo/Cowan (41ish games each)\
extra: Holmberg.
traded: Kampf and Robertson.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Knies Matthews Domi
Nylander Holmberg Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly Tanev
OEL Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

...if Robertson isn't there then we look at Grebyonkin, Cowan, Minten, or Steeves in that spot.

I like Nylander at 2C, I feel Holmberg is the safer choice though because he has been a C much more recently.

I like that third line because it worked last year we really should spread the core players around a bit more than we have in the past under Keefe

Reactions: Budz

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Such little depth though that we're one injury away from disaster.

Really? You know this F group led the Leafs a very close second in scoring in the NHL last year, right?

All we lost was Bertuzzi and his 21 goals. Growth from Knies and McMann could make that up.

What teams have more F depth than the Leafs? If you can only name one or two that doesn't mean we have a lack of depth.

That's a fairly hard to understand statement to be honest.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You missed Minten!

Maybe not, some aren't high on him and believe he slots in around #5 on the centre depth chart. There's also the fact we have an extra fwd on the roster if a kid makes the squad.

As i mentioned earlier, i could see JT stepping into a LW position to play on a line and mentor Minten. Minten is a very mature kid, good defensive acumen, its been said hes like a second coach on the ice. I could see him excelling on a line with JT and Marner. It would allow the follow FWD lineup:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Tavares - Minten - Marner
Dewer - Kampf - Mcmann
extra: Reavo, Robertson, Cowan? Grebyonkin? (im probably higher on this kid than most)

If Minten doesnt stick as 2c, we have the following:

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Dewer - Kampf - Reavo
Probably our strongest lineup to be fair.

As a leaf fan, I'd probably like this the best:
Knies - Matthews - Domi
Mcmann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Minten - Nylander
Grebyonkin - Dewer - Reavo/Cowan (41ish games each)\
extra: Holmberg.
traded: Kampf and Robertson.
I think most fans would see Nylander on the 3rd line as a demotion. If he weren't playing regularly with another star they would see him as being treated like a secondary player.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Really? You know this F group led the Leafs a very close second in scoring in the NHL last year, right?

All we lost was Bertuzzi and his 21 goals. Growth from Knies and McMann could make that up.

What teams have more F depth than the Leafs? If you can only name one or two that doesn't mean we have a lack of depth.

That's a fairly hard to understand statement to be honest.

We are weak down the middle. If Matthews or Tavares get injured we'll either be using two wingers at C in our top 9 or have Kampf playing 2C.

My point is that even at 100% health we already dont have 4 real quality full-time centers. We're going to be rotating wingers in/out all season trying to find someone who sticks and they wont because they're wingers not centers. We also dont have any Marlies who look ready to step up if needed.

Also any roster with Kampf/Reaves on it at once is essentially a 3 line team. And the 3rd line doesnt have a real C

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
We are weak down the middle. If Matthews or Tavares get injured we'll either be using two wingers at C in our top 9 or have Kampf playing 2C.

My point is that even at 100% health we already dont have 4 real quality full-time centers. We're going to be rotating wingers in/out all season trying to find someone who sticks and they wont because they're wingers not centers. We also dont have any Marlies who look ready to step up if needed.

Also any roster with Kampf/Reaves on it at once is essentially a 3 line team. And the 3rd line doesnt have a real C

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
...every team could have more depth but we do have more depth than most.

Players that could play C for us include Matthews, Tavares, Kampf, Holmberg, Domi, Nylander, Jarnkrok, Dewar, and Minten.

Yes, Nylander and Domi are wingers but they can play C and could be on lines with very strong wingers.

You are not wrong that if we lose a top C we won't be able to replace them with a top C, be it what team can?

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
...every team could have more depth but we do have more depth than most.

Players that could play C for us include Matthews, Tavares, Kampf, Holmberg, Domi, Nylander, Jarnkrok, Dewar, and Minten.

Yes, Nylander and Domi are wingers but they can play C and could be on lines with very strong wingers.

You are not wrong that if we lose a top C we won't be able to replace them with a top C, be it what team can?

We dont have a 3rd line center and a 4th line with Kampf + Reaves is useless. I dont trust the bottom-6 at all. I just feel like Brad left us in a very vulnerable spot from the get go. I would have went after a guy like Henrique instead of OEL.

We need to hope at least two of Robertson/Cowen/Minten are ready to play full time in the top 9. I like all 3 players but wont be surprised if none are there opening night.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I like Holmberg with elite wingers at line 2.

Knies Captain Domi
Marner Holmberg Willy
McMann JT Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reaves
Robertson

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Putting together lines for this group is a bit of a challenge, IMO.

Domi showed just how good he can be when playing with Matthews -- ability to use his passing game like he did that 1 year in Montreal, but Matthews being able to shoulder the defensive responsbilities.

However, I think that pair is ideally suited to a Matthew Knies or Bobby McMann; not Mitch Marner, where it'll be two guys overpassing the puck trying to get it to Matthews. Let's call it Knies.

Second line, I think you've gotta like the idea of McMann-Tavares-Marner. McMann to be first on the forecheck, Tavares second, and Marner in the open ice. From a defensive transition standpoint, Marner is kind of the ideal player that you put in the C position when transitioning back to your zone, and it'll be easier for him to do it if he's the high man on the cycle anyways.

For the 3rd line, that leaves some combination of Nylander, Jarnkrok, Minten, Cowan, Holmberg and/or Robertson. I don't mind the idea of Minten centering a line with Jarnkrok and Nylander. 1 solid vet to promote his defensive play, 1 guy to bring him out of his shell offensively. Not necesssarily ideal as you've got 3 lines that are all somewhat "generalist" verus a true shutdown unit, and will have trouble keeping Willy's ice time up, but I've always been a proponent of splitting the 3, and giving the Leafs a relentless attack. This group is going to get a lot of 3rd pairing defencemen; and if you're thinking long term, what better way to develop a young player than to give him a linemate like Willy.

4th line would leave you with Holmberg-Kampf and one of Dewar, Robertson, Reaves, or Cowan. Might not be a horrible place for Cowan to start, even if the opportunity is limited.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
We dont have a 3rd line center and a 4th line with Kampf + Reaves is useless. I dont trust the bottom-6 at all. I just feel like Brad left us in a very vulnerable spot from the get go. I would have went after a guy like Henrique instead of OEL.

We need to hope at least two of Robertson/Cowen/Minten are ready to play full time in the top 9. I like all 3 players but wont be surprised if none are there opening night.
I totally agree that Reaves makes the fourth line useless. Kampf should be on a checking line and Reaves should not. I think Reaves does not play all that .ish this year....I hope.

I would add Holmberg to that list of young guys where two of them have to crack the top nine. I think the parts are here to have a more balanced attack and a useful bottom six. Maybe we see a different approach with a different coach.

My suggested lines had a useful fourth line (no Reaves) and a balanced too nine with either Nylander or Holmberg centering a line with Marner.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad