Knies Matthews. Nylander
Jarnkrok. Tavares. Marner
Mcmann. Domi Robertson/Nylander/Cowan
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar/Reaves/ Minten

Rielly. Tanev
OEL. McCabe
Benoit. Lilly

Woll/Stolarz
I don't know that you want your two best scorers on the same line. Willy and Mitch and even Domi are all good for setting up Matty, but Willy has that extra dimension. Keep your two most dynamic players on separate lines except for stacking, similar to Edmonton with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Also I don't think JT will be anywhere near as effective at 2C this year, especially if he doesn't have Willy.

I'd rather see Matty, Willy, and JT, I that order, down the middle.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't know that you want your two best scorers on the same line. Willy and Mitch and even Domi are all good for setting up Matty, but Willy has that extra dimension. Keep your two most dynamic players on separate lines except for stacking, similar to Edmonton with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Also I don't think JT will be anywhere near as effective at 2C this year, especially if he doesn't have Willy.

Leafs are trying to unload both Kampf and Robertson before camp starts .. lets see what Tre can get for those 2 .. to me I would be happy with 2nd rounders for both of them if there are any takers

Reactions: Bust

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Domi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Kampf - Robertson
Jankrok - Holmberg - Cowan
Reaves/Dewar

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Lilly
Beniot - OEL

Reactions: mclaren55

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Interesting - if we unload Kampf it will be even more critical to try Nylander at 2C.

Not necessarily.

JT is still a serviceable 2nd line centre in the regular season. We could look to upgrade towards the tdl.

Or

Maybe they believe Minten, playing with Marner and JT on his left could fill the 2 c slot.

Jarnkrok is a natural c, solid playmaker that could play 3 c.

Holmberg/Dewar can fill the 4 c role.

Leafs are trying to unload both Kampf and Robertson before camp starts .. lets see what Tre can get for those 2 .. to me I would be happy with 2nd rounders for both of them if there are any takers

What are your thoughts on Minten and Cowan making the team?

If these kids step up, they could be clear upgrades over Kampf and Robertson.

2 x 2nds would be helpful in replenishing our lack of picks.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Dewar - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren

Woll - Stolarz

Reactions: banks

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Knies Matthews Domi
Marner Holmberg Nylander
McMann Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

For me the 2 most dynamic player is Matthews and Marner. Nylander had a lot of succes with a East-West system where he had a lot of great succes but his best rate/82 game season under a north-south ( Babcock) system was not amaizing

under babcock in a north-south system

2015-2016 -22 goal 46 pts/82
2016-2017- 22 goal 61pts
2017-2018- 20-61
2018-2019- 11-41
2019-2020- 29-61

under keefe in a east-west
2019-2020 (under keefe)- 42 goal-77 pts /82 game
2020-2021 27-68
2021-2022 34-80
2022-2023 40-87
2023-2024 40-98

The question i had its if nylander will be able to still producing at the same rate under a north south system and if Berube will still as much patient everytime Nylander taking a shift off in the defensive end. Personally Nylander is at my top 1 spot of playwr who could drop into the new system. There no fuarabtee at all than he will still as much dynamic in a different system. System will he benefot to some player but be negative to some player, it's always the case with any coaching change whatever wich team it is.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
For me the 2 most dynamic player is Matthews and Marner. Nylander had a lot of succes with a East-West system where he had a lot of great succes but his best rate/82 game season under a north-south ( Babcock) system was not amaizing

2016-2017- 22 goal 61pts
2017-2018- 20-61
2018-2019- 11-41
2019-2020- 29-61

2020-2021 27-68
2021-2022 34-80
2022-2023 40-87
2023-2024 40-98

The question i had its if nylander will be able to still producing at the same rate under a north south system and if Berube will still as much patient everytime Nylander taking a shift off in the defensive end. Personally Nylander is at my top 1 spot of playwr who could drop into the new system. There no fuarabtee at all than he will still as much dynamic in a different system. System will he benefot to some player but be negative to some player, it's always the case with any coaching change whatever wich team it is.
Babs isn't the reason Nylander wasn't scoring 90 pts when he was 21yo. Willy has followed a pretty typical development curve where he's just gotten better year over year through his twenties. You can't draw conclusions here using this data.

Not claiming Willy will thrive under Berube, but I'm not sure what about Willy's game would make you think he won't do well going north-south, he loves speed and taking it to the net.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not necessarily.

JT is still a serviceable 2nd line centre in the regular season. We could look to upgrade towards the tdl.

Or

Maybe they believe Minten, playing with Marner and JT on his left could fill the 2 c slot.

JT was a serviceable 2C last year, but has been fading for a couple. Expecting him to improve is overly optimistic, to be polite.

You're speculating whether Minten can even make the team, yet you think he's ready to be a 2C, while dismissing Nylander, who's played centre everywhere else, including being the MVP in an international tournament?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Dewar - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren

Woll - Stolarz

Knies Matthews Domi
Marner Holmberg Nylander
McMann Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz
1656616853954.gif

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

2016-2017- 22 goal 61pts
2017-2018- 20-61
2018-2019- 11-41
2019-2020- 29-61

2020-2021 27-68
2021-2022 34-80
2022-2023 40-87
2023-2024 40-98

The first thing I said was "two best scorers", and I don't think anyone believes them to be other than Matthews and Nylander.

You may consider Marner to be a more dynamic player than Nylander (although I think you're in a small minority), but even if that were so, it doesn't change my point.

The north/south vs east/west argument is pretty weak, as he's one of the least east/west players on the team. And I'm not sure why you think a young player, usually on the third line (10th in toi per game), is comparable to an experienced one.

Nylander hasn't been "taking a shift off" as much in the last couple of years, and if there's any player who is likely to have more trouble in a north/south system, it would be Marner rather than Nylander.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

We haven't seen Nylander play center in what? 7 years?

According to who?

Despite the lack of a Friedman 32 thought, the logic is sound.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
JT was a serviceable 2C last year, but has been fading for a couple. Expecting him to improve is overly optimistic, to be polite.

You're speculating whether Minten can even make the team, yet you think he's ready to be a 2C, while dismissing Nylander, who's played centre everywhere else, including being the MVP in an international tournament?

Re-read what I wrote. I didn’t say I expect JT to improve. I also didn’t say Minten is ready for anything. Not sure why you would twist my post to create an argument.

I said maybe “they” as in management, think Minten could work with JT grooming him on his left side, and Marner on his right.

I think Willy is what he is at this point. I’m one of his biggest supporters. I think he excels at c on the bigger ice surface as he’s so shifty and has amazing vision. We could do a lot worse at 2 c than Willy, I just don’t think it would be utilizing his strengths at zone entry, and the smaller ice wouldn’t give him the room to cook in the c slot.

Typical post of late on our boards….

More focused on getting a chuckle and a like - instead of sharing why you think Holmberg (who played great at the World’s btw) could not play between 2 elite wingers.

You think Holmberg could work at 2 c? I’d be willing to try that for sure - he has the grind to be effective, but I question his offensive ability somewhat.

I think he tops out as a 3 c, but he has the tools to play up the lineup.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann/Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Kampf - Marner
Dewar - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
OEL - Hakanpaa/Benoit

Woll/Stolarz

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Typical post of late on our boards….

More focused on getting a chuckle and a like - instead of sharing why you think Holmberg (who played great at the World’s btw) could not play between 2 elite wingers.
You seriously think Holmberg has the skill to be a 2C in the league? You may be the only person on this entire board that thinks that.

I'm just pointing out that if Championship teams are built up the middle, we're in serious trouble if we're rolling out an unproven commodity in a major role and 'hoping' he works out.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I like the idea of Nylander or Marner as the driver on the 3rd line. They'd get some favourable matchups by spreading the big 4.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not necessarily.

Or

I don't know but chances are better if they trade both Kampf and Robertson .. if they still have both those guys than my guess is they don't make team .. but should be a competitive camp with each given opportunities in pre season

Reactions: Bust

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Hopefully this is the year we finally get that nylander-marner duo.

Give them 1/4 season to build chemistry and reap the rewards. Both shifty agile guys who can thread the needle.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't know but chances are better if they trade both Kampf and Robertson .. if they still have both those guys than my guess is they don't make team .. but should be a competitive camp with each given opportunities in pre season

Who would you see as our C's, if Kampf is traded... seems like a real weakness if he's gone.

You seriously think Holmberg has the skill to be a 2C in the league? You may be the only person on this entire board that thinks that.

I'm just pointing out that if Championship teams are built up the middle, we're in serious trouble if we're rolling out an unproven commodity in a major role and 'hoping' he works out.

No pencilled lineup is static for the full season. We don't need to submit lines to the league before regular season, and stick with them for the year. Why not experiment though... and see what some guys are capable of? I doubt Holmberg is a legit 2C, but then I think he is more capable than we've given him room to show so far as well. You never know until you try.

It's just shuffling around exiting players in the lineup, to see what might work.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
According to who?
I just had my annual pool/deck party for about 200 folks.. my old hockey friends and my kids hockey friends in Mississauga in the estates on the lake .. several nhl, ahl, echl and euro players .. everyone was back to hard skating this week on da ice at Ford or travelling back to their home markets to skate with team mates .. all i heard was Robertson wants out asap and Berube wants Kampf out asap .. anywho hockey is back now with da boys back on ice skating hard for camps .. always a tough time especially for guys who took time off to travel over summer who need to shed 15 pounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad