Lines

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Knies-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Open slot for rookie -Domi- Holmberg
Jarncrok - Kampf-open slot for rookie
Dewar
*Press box/Laundry duty: Ryan Reaves
Robertson traded

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Hakanpaa
*Timmins traded
*Cade Webber called up

Wolff
Stolarz
*Matt Murray in minors or hospital

Meh. It’s a playoff team but a very average looking playoff team.

• Haha
Reactions: slozo

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Domi Matthews. Nylander
Knies Tavares. Marner
Mcmann. Xxxxx. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves

Rielly. Tanev
OEL. Mccabe.
Benoit. Hakanpaa

Woll/Stolarz

I dont hate it. Just need a 3rd line center. Brad had the combination of Robertson and Lilly to make it happen. Who is the best realistic 3rd line center we could possibly trade for?

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
2025-26 we can redo the 2nd line

Knies Matthews Nylander
_______ _______ _______
Domi Holmberg Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Reaves

McCabe Liljegren
Reilly Tanev
OEL Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

22m to spend on it.

Not quite. Knies, McCabe and Woll all getting more $$$

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So we’ve spent all the cap and have 11 forwards signed. Now granted there are 9 D and 3 G, but what’s that amount to maybe 3M?

So 3M to sign 2 more bargain bin forwards.

Looks like Kid Kyle bailed at just the right time.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That's p
So we’ve spent all the cap and have 11 forwards signed. Now granted there are 9 D and 3 G, but what’s that amount to maybe 3M?

That's pretty good, isn't it? We are always going to be pretty close to the cap, that's what contenders do. We lost a forward (Bertuzzi) because we shifted his salary to rebuilding our D.

$3M is enough to round out the roster. We might even keep a spot or two for Grebyenkin, Cowan or Minten.

We could also make a trade or two with Jarnkrok and Kampf being candidates for teams that didn't have any luck with FAs. Anaheim? Then we have $6.5M left... maybe throw $4M at Henrique?

I think we have managed the cap pretty well.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Based on their current cap situation, one would assume that they're probably done short of a Dewar signing, Robertson trade, and probably a Timmins trade as well.

That being said, I think you have to have genuine concerns about the Leafs depth here.

The Leafs lines as they finished the season, were basicaly:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
Holmberg-Domi-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Gregor

Amongst that group, you've got:

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Domi, Kampf all likely remaining "stagnant".

Tavares & Jarnkrok on the likely decline.

Knies, Holmberg, & Dewar likely to improve.

Bertuzzi out for McMann, and Gregor out for some combination of Easton Cowan, Ryan Reaves, Fraser Minten, or other.

To me, he hasn't really done enough. The Leafs need at least one more guy that can make meaningful contributions in their top 6 / 9.

As for the D, Rielly & Tanev would be the obvious #1 pairing, and you've got a ton of options between Liljegren, McCabe, Benoit, OEL & Hanakpa to make a couple of other solid pairs.... but you could argue that the Leafs somewhat failed to bring in the meaningful addition that they needed, while filling out the roster with potentially difficult to move guys.

Have to wonder, with Robertson requesting a trade, and Liljegren potentially being an odd man out on D, if they could package one or both of these guys with a Kampf or Jarnkrok and get somebody that falls more into the "middle class" of player we don't have much of.

Reactions: hamzarocks

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013

Listening to Tre on the zoom call it sounds like he has a lot more work ahead and emphasized that it’s day 1. I think Marner is getting traded

He wants a big tough to play against team and that isn’t Marner

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Cap going up.
Assuming Tavares scores 60+ points again this year, he likely gets extended in the off season for roughly $6.0 million on a 2-3 year deal. At the same time, the cap is expected to go up approximately $5.0 million... Therefore, one would expect Toronto to have about $10.0 million in cap room, with Calle Jarnkrok's $2.1 million, David Kampf's $2.4 million and Timothy Liljegren's $3.0 million as contracts that could be moved to create additional cap space...

So a year from now it could be something like...

Marner extends X years for $12.0 million
Tavares extends X years for $6.0 million
McCabe extends X years for $4.5 million
Knies extends X years for $4.0 million
Woll's extension kicks in for $3.66 million

Total: $9.568 out of $10.0 million cap space

Assuming the roster stayed the same you'd likely be looking like the following, with only $500k-$1.0 million of cap space.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-X-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Grebyonkin

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

Let's say you try to solve the issue by moving on from Kampf, Liljegren and Jarnkrok in order to create cap space. You could do something like this...

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares- Nylander
McMann-X-Cowan
Dewar-Minten or Quillan-Grebyonkin

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

In this case you would have $4.0-$5.0 million to add to add a 3C...

All of this to say that unless you let Tavares or Marner walk at the conclusion of next season, or you let McCabe walk because the Liljegren experiment goes well and he's capable of playing full time in the top for following season, there is enough space to extend everyone of value, but virtually nothing left to upgrade the team in any capacity.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Based on current roster (no Robertson):

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Holmberg-Nylander-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe

Woll
Stolarz

Nylander isn’t the ideal 2C. But you can’t keep running JT there. Domi + Matthews = money. I think Nylander & Marner can bring out the best in Holmberg. If we add a better center option I’d switch this up for sure.

Ideally upgrade 2LW, 3RW assuming core stays. But worst case try out Holmberg there and see if Jarnkrok bounces back.

Reactions: arso40

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
We really, really need to find a long-term 2C. I hope it's what they're aiming for in a Marner trade. Easier said than done of course, but man would someone like a McTavish or Wyatt Johnston ever look good on this team.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

That’s not too bad. We always knew this was going to be the most difficult season cap wise.

But trading Jarnkrok and Kampf and using their cap space for a real impact Center would be helpful. The rest of the fourth line can be filled in with depth. Maybe one of the prospects make a jump too.

Reactions: Sypher04

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
If we want to go 3 lines

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Jarncrok-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Blais/Blackwell
Reaves

When you look at lines like this you have to hope that Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg take big steps forward and that Tavares doesn't take a big step back...otherwise it's a pretty bad line up. And hoping for things like that reminds me of the hopes for the Jays this year.

Reactions: arso40

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Listening to Tre on the zoom call it sounds like he has a lot more work ahead and emphasized that it’s day 1. I think Marner is getting traded

He wants a big tough to play against team and that isn’t Marner

being hard to play against doesn't mean being big or giving a hit just to giving a hit but start with defensive game commitment and how you defend.

Amount all leafs player last 3 post season, only 2 had a positive +/- vs opposite top 6. Tell me who? Mitch Marner and Matthews Knies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
When you look at lines like this you have to hope that Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg take big steps forward and that Tavares doesn't take a big step back...otherwise it's a pretty bad line up. And hoping for things like that reminds me of the hopes for the Jays this year.

We definitely are hoping for each of those guys to take a step forward but end of the day, at worst we still have 3 bonafide 1st liners, 1-2 more top 6 guys. Our bottom 6 especially needs work, but there are much worse places a team can find themselves

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How big of step ups are we expecting them to take next year? I'd love to see big ones, but realistically, 1 or 2 of them take a step back. I'm thinking McMann for sure might struggle finding consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad