Lines

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Robertson-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Holmberg-Marner
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Extras: Reaves, Quillan

We know Domi can set up Matthews and I think Matthews and Robertson have an under the radar chemistry. Nick always seems to disappear on the ice with Matthews since teams rightly focus on Auston, leaving Robertson open. I think another strong shooting threat on a line with Matthews and a strong puck-distributor in Domi could be huge. Knies and Nylander will have to drag Tavares along and I think down low Knies and Tavares can be a problem for teams, and Nylander is understatedly strong. Mitch can have the privilege of carrying his own line and we'll see if he's truly worth a raise (or hell if he's even worth his current contract). I think him with McMann and Holmberg can be pretty responsible and you wouldn't worry about throwing them out there in a defensive situation. Fourth line with Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok is your go-to shutdown line. It's the best possible mix that that idiot Keefe for whatever galaxy-brained reason broke up in Game 7 so he could play offensive black-hole Jarnkrok with Matthews and put Gregor there (who lest we forget failed to clear the puck leading up to the Bruins game-tying goal in Game 7).

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Extras: Hakanpaa, Webber

Rielly-Tanev is obvious. The rest is a bit difficult. I'm assuming Timmins is done so he's not on the roster. Trade him or waive him who cares. Hakanpaa I think is injury insurance, he's a right shot but Tanev and Liljegren are signed and McCabe is comfortable playing on the right despite shooting left. I've decided to go with one "defensive-minded" guy and one "puck-moving" guy on each pair, even though there is some minor overlap with some players in those definitions (Tanev can move the puck out well, Liljegren at his best is a good two-way guy).

Woll
Stolarz

Extra: Murray

Woll is the de-facto starter unless his play deteriorates or he gets hurt again. Stolarz is an excellent back-up/1B option. Murray as the cheap third-stringer is good.

Leafs are better but I'm not sure it's by much, at best we'll probably finish 2nd in the division unless Berube can really work some magic and our young guys take definitive steps forward in their development (Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Dewar, Liljegren, Benoit).

Reactions: arso40

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To Seattle
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Nick Robertson

To Toronto
Matty Beniers
Adam Larsson
1st round pick

To St.Louis
Seattle's 1st round pick
Calle Jarnkrok

To Toronto
Pavel Buchnevich

Leafs sign FA Jeff Skinner

2024-2025 Toronto Maple Leafs

Buchnevich-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Beniers-Nylander
Skinner-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Holmberg
Grebyonkin

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-Larsson
Benoit-McCabe
Hakanpaa

One can dream!

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Don't post that Seattle trade proposal on the mains. :oops:
They don't score goals and they badly need more of them. Marner would give them 30 goals per season and would star at 1RW. Robertson is a lock for 20 goals in a full season with an expanded role. Liljegren slides in nicely to their 3RD spot... Beniers is good, but you have to give up something of value to get a player the quality of Mitch Marner back. Larsson is expiring and won't re-signing there. He's also getting moved down the lineup with the addition of Montour. They also still have the cap space to get that deal done, which isn't the case for most teams.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
They don't score goals and they badly need more of them. Marner would give them 30 goals per season and would star at 1RW. Robertson is a lock for 20 goals in a full season with an expanded role. Liljegren slides in nicely to their 3RD spot... Beniers is good, but you have to give up something of value to get a player the quality of Mitch Marner back. Larsson is expiring and won't re-signing there. He's also getting moved down the lineup with the addition of Montour. They also still have the cap space to get that deal done, which isn't the case for most teams.
Okay, you believe it's a fair proposal, fair enough.
If i'm on the phone on the Kraken end I say no.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Okay, you believe it's a fair proposal, fair enough.
If i'm on the phone on the Kraken end I say no.
That's fine. They're entitled to do so. But I think they get the best player (by far) in deal, much needed scoring and two young players that will be cost controlled, both of whom are in their mid 20s and have not hit their peak. Larsson won't be extended there, so they'd be receiving assets in return for him and as good as Beniers is, he's probably never prime Marner (which Marner is right now) good.

I'd be curious what a Seattle fan would definitely hate about the deal? Is it as simple as thinking the 1st round pick is too much and needs to be downgraded to a 2nd round pick?

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Sign skinner for cheap + bonus

Skinner - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Domi - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Dewar - Kampf - Holmberg
Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
OEL/Benoit/Hakanpaa depending on the night

Reactions: arso40

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With Bertuzzi gone, Tre focusing on defense and a new coach, what will the team look like assuming we don't trade Marner?

Cowan - Matthew - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Knies - Quillian - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Lily

3C looks is very uncertain. Defense is what it is. Hopefully Lily can setup or maybe there's hope for Niemela. But OEL on the PP should hopefully make the PP less predictable. Having 2 out of 5 players on the PP being non-shooter (Marner and Rielly) was not great.

There is no shot Cowan is going to come in and be on the top line right away.

Also what is a Quillian? that also seems unlikely.

Reactions: BM14

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Knies Matthews Marner
Holmberg Domi Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

*These lines will change when/if we add Skinner, Holmberg becomes 4th liner or 13th F. Cowan or Minten or Grebenkin have to earn their way on.

Rielly Tanev
OEL Liljegren
Benoit McCabe
Haakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

Reaves, Timmins, and Murray are out taxi squad, on waivers and sent down for cap relief without ever having to play for the Marlies. We can lose them, or they can pull a Spezza and let it be known they retire if claimed on waivers.

Robertson has demanded a trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why you got Knies playing #1D with Rielly ;) :laugh:

As of right now it seems....

Domi-Matthews-Knies
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson*(RFA)-Kampf-Marner
Holmberg-Dewar*(RFA)-Reaves
Jarnkrok

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

Leafs center depth is a JOKE. Tavares is not cutout to play 3C minutes IMO forget about 2C minutes. Tavares should have shifted to LW already.

Next season is gonna be tough.

Boston
Tampa
Florida

IMO are ahead of Leafs in regular season, and in playoffs Leafs are looking at another 1st round exit. Leafs just couldn't score goals as Marner refuses to go into corners and to the net; and Tavares is so slow the puck is already moved to a different place by the time tavares arrives there as a center

Leafs PK was a JOKE and PP was even a bigger JOKE with so much money invested in forwards.

July 1st, as of 3pm EST this is how the roster stands.....

If Marner stays there is not a shot in hell he's on the 3rd line with David f***ing Kampf lets be realistic

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
You're not paying the 7th highest paid player in the NHL to play on the 3rd line.

I mean Shelden Keefe isn't the head coach anymore.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Marner stays there is not a shot in hell he's on the 3rd line with David f***ing Kampf lets be realistic

If they want to go back to playing matthews and marner together and then complain that we don't get depth scoring when superstars are kept quiet in playoffs then they can I suppose....

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If they want to go back to playing matthews and marner together and then complain that we don't get depth scoring when superstars are kept quiet in playoffs then they can I suppose....

see the issue is not that Marner is on the 3rd line.

the issue is he is on the 3rd line with David Kampf, or more specifically that David Kampf is the 3rd line center.

David Kampf should not be the 3rd line Center

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
As of right now I really don't think we moved the needle enough to have a much different outcome than this year.

OEL is a defensive black hole, I would have went in a much different direction instead of adding him.

If we're going to be better it's going to come from the rookies improving and the big reason being a new system being implemented that the boys actually dig in and believe in.

That's how we're going to improve, unless a crazy Marner trade happens that we actually win.

This teams just treading water currently, hopefully Berube kicks them into gear and changes the character of the room.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
see the issue is not that Marner is on the 3rd line.

the issue is he is on the 3rd line with David Kampf, or more specifically that David Kampf is the 3rd line center.

David Kampf should not be the 3rd line Center

we have no other options unless you want to put domi in the middle then we have no disher for matthews on the 1st line

also not a lot of cap space to go out and get a center. Tavares IMO is too slow to even play 2C minutes.

Next season IMO will be a pain unless somehow magically tavares gains speed in his skating and marner is willing to play high octane physical hockey

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
we have no other options unless you want to put domi in the middle then we have no disher for matthews on the 1st line

also not a lot of cap space to go out and get a center. Tavares IMO is too slow to even play 2C minutes.

Next season IMO will be a pain unless somehow magically tavares gains speed in his skating and marner is willing to play high octane physical hockey

I don't disagree all I was saying is that my issue with you playing Mazrner with Kampf is almost entirely about Kampf being the 3rd line C and not so much about Marner being on the 3rd line.

I don't know if I agree with you about next season being pain, I actually kind of like the defense now I think it has gotten a pretty major upgrade.

I think the same can be said for the goaltending too, although that is more by default because in order for Stolarz to be worse than Sammy was he would basically have to deliberately attempt to suck.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't disagree all I was saying is that my issue with you playing Mazrner with Kampf is almost entirely about Kampf being the 3rd line C and not so much about Marner being on the 3rd line.

I don't know if I agree with you about next season being pain, I actually kind of like the defense now I think it has gotten a pretty major upgrade.

I think the same can be said for the goaltending too, although that is more by default because in order for Stolarz to be worse than Sammy was he would basically have to deliberately attempt to suck.

Leafs offensive options remain the same (or less now without Bert?).

I don't expect Tavares, Marner to do a full 180 when it comes to playoffs and propel leafs deep into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad