Line Combos: Lines you expect to see vs what you want to see

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's not overripening thing. It's more of protecting the other assets.
I'm in favour of icing the best possible lineup. We've missed 8 years in a row, and unless something changes, we are once again not icing the best possible team in order to "protect other assets".

Kasper was the best player on the team in the preseason, period. Yzerman should have found a way to keep him on the roster. I'm sure he'll be up sooner rather than later, but once again the message from management is that the preseason is irrelevant, and the roster is already set in stone before camp even starts.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
The natural thing to do would be to swap Berggren and Fischer... I wonder why they don't?
That 3rd line had some real good stretches last season. And their usage was such that Berggren doesn't even remotely fit on that line. Berggren is not good enough to be top-6, and he doesn't have the tools to be on the 3rd line. So he remains a leftover.

One day, the Wings won't have a leftover line, and on that day, you will not find Berggren on the roster.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That 3rd line had some real good stretches last season. And their usage was such that Berggren doesn't even remotely fit on that line. Berggren is not good enough to be top-6, and he doesn't have the tools to be on the 3rd line. So he remains a leftover.

One day, the Wings won't have a leftover line, and on that day, you will not find Berggren on the roster.
Why wouldn't he have the tools to be on a 3rd line? I guess it depends on what kind of 3rd line you want to have. To. me it seems like he could fill the skilled/playmaker role on that line, and let Copp/Rasmussen do what they do.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why wouldn't he have the tools to be on a 3rd line? I guess it depends on what kind of 3rd line you want to have. To. me it seems like he could fill the skilled/playmaker role on that line, and let Copp/Rasmussen do what they do.
He's played 82 NHL games and has only 23 hits. 3 of those came in his debut, so 20 hits over 81 games.

Copp only threw 33 hits last season, if you combine Copp and Burger, you have the softest 3rd line in the league ever. Raz would have to throw 2 hits per game to make up for it.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Because that line was deployed to shut down and/or frustrate opposing top lines. And while they may not have been perfect at it, they showed well for a lot of the season. Berggren has no ability to shut down the opposition, unless he, like, cuts the power at the rink or something.

berggren.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because that line was deployed to shut down and/or frustrate opposing top lines. And while they may not have been perfect at it, they showed well for a lot of the season. Berggren has no ability to shut down the opposition, unless he, like, cuts the power at the rink or something.

View attachment 913151
It is interesting if you look at Fischer's game logs from last year. A lot of games where he played under 12 minutes. I think he was used as a 4th liner more than a 3rd liner.
He's played 82 NHL games and has only 23 hits. 3 of those came in his debut, so 20 hits over 81 games.

Copp only threw 33 hits last season, if you combine Copp and Burger, you have the softest 3rd line in the league ever. Raz would have to throw 2 hits per game to make up for it.
Copp is not soft at all.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp is not soft at all.
Copp doesn't check. Stats back up my eye test. And he's slow, but that's a different issue.

He's good at digging out the puck, but he's not running people over to do it. Most I've ever seen him do (in a Wings jersey) is push people from behind, which I guess counts as a hit in the NHL.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Lies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I wonder if we lead the league in fewest qualified rookie games again this year? Such a great honor for a rebuilding team...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk the future of Berggren on this team...

The 10 mins a night would be better served for more defensive players if you're trying to build a bigger defensive team.

Idk a tradeoff rip, but I'd be searching.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I wonder if we lead the league in fewest qualified rookie games again this year? Such a great honor for a rebuilding team...
Do you have this stat from last year? Or over the years?

Doesn't sound to me like this is the type of stat we should really be chasing.

DavidpauseReinbacher

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Arm chair GMs already piping up early this year. Kasper and Bergrren should be playing ? Kasper will get opportunities this season but nothing Bergrren has done says he belongs here full time let alone taking Tank or Kanes spot. Wipe the crumbs off ur stained t shirts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad