LeBrun: Lightning talking to Tyler Johnson about waiving his NTC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because he is motivated to be a top nine player and doesn't want to stay in Tampa and be used in essentially a fourth line role?

I think it's more about the fact that he has more control over where he goes this year as opposed to next.

I feel bad for him, but I'm grateful for what he's doing.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I would tend to agree if the player in question was producing to the level of contract he signed. When you look at this season it is pretty clear to me he didn't. I like the kid and don't want to see him go. But this is a business and it is not on this team to protect those who have not lived up to the level of the contract they signed.
They aren't giving him the same amount of ice time, that's the main reason he isn't "living up to the level of contract he signed." Pacing at 23 goals and 23 assists per season since he signed the contract seems like it's pretty close to living up to $5M per year, all things considered.

Reactions: Byrddog

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Lots of players are reasonable about the business side of things. Its not exactly unheard of for a player to waive a no trade clause, not to mention not doing so with his team in the position, quite possibly directly leading to another (better) teammates life being uprooted, when it otherwise wouldn't have been, can make this "awkward"

Its not like their aren't a number of legit teams out there, especially seeing how Isles and Dallas went far, he can give them a narrow list of solid teams and keep both sides relatively happy. He could end up getting more ice time as well on another team. Players want to play. If Tampa has a number of better players, getting even better, his time can shrink

*also, if I'm not mistaken, they could just buy him out which could create more "awkwardness" if he knew he was leaving either way and forced the worse option on them, out of what could be perceived right or wrong as pettiness.

I don't for sure expect him to waive, but i would not be even slightly surprised if he does.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
The Jets should be all over this, no?

Seems like they will definitely have room (even if they add a reasonably priced D), even if both Laine and Ehlers stay.

Reactions: deflowd

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
lol Tampa is going to get out of this with no pain and is actually going to be able to jettison their few inefficient contracts. Gross for the rest of us.

We do this EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

You'd think HF would learn. But no, we hear that the team is gonna fall apart every season. I'm sure it will someday, but, in the meantime, you know... cup.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
It's not necessarily about other GMs screwing Tampa over, but much of the value has to be Tampa getting $5M off their books, and if it's not then the GM acquiring him is an idiot. Johnson is good player and probably a great guy, but he's not some 'must have' piece.

Sure, the other GM is going to try to extract as much value from Tampa as possible, but at the end of the day someone is going to make the trade. So whether you make the deal with Tampa or not, Tampa is going to get the benefit of moving that $5m. So if it's a good deal for you (e.g. spend a 4th rounder to get a legit 3C with upside of a high-end 2C, especially if you're hurting for centers) then you make that deal -- even though it arguably helps Tampa more than you help yourself.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
They aren't giving him the same amount of ice time, that's the main reason he isn't "living up to the level of contract he signed." Pacing at 23 goals and 23 assists per season since he signed the contract seems like it's pretty close to living up to $5M per year, all things considered.
When Point broke out TJ's minutes went from over 18 per game to 14 he was moved from center to the wing as well. Someone is going to be pleased to get this guy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think he's gonna pull a JT Miller, but I do think he's going to be a good player wherever he goes. His role in TB got more and more diminished as guys like Point, Cirelli, and Gourde came up. With a bigger role, he could justify the rest of that contract.

Nobody believed when TB fans said Miller was worth a 1st -- he obviously was. Johnson's a pretty good player who got stuck behind a lot of players. When playing with top tier talent, he put up 29 goals. I think a team is going to be pleasantly surprised.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
His icetime was in direct proportion to his depth on the team. He is a number four center on this team. He became that because he was outplayed by 3 others ahead of him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Because he is motivated to be a top nine player and doesn't want to stay in Tampa and be used in essentially a fourth line role?
Not like he's going to hit the market anytime soon however. So a dip in his numbers won't impact his financial future.

He's under contract for 4 more years until he is 34. This was his big ticket contract.

Per his contract he has until the end of the 20-21 season with a full NTC at which point he has to hand TB a list of teams he will or will not get traded to. It's up to him to decide if he wishes to give TB a list earlier than what his contract specifies. But, this is not a great time to be changing cities. I've heard he has 4 kids and is just 30. So, not sure if leaving them to go to another team and waiting until the 2021 offseason makes the most sense for him perosnally.

But, again, it was completely up to him if he wishes to oblige TB with a list. And that list could just be 2-4 teams. Doesn't mean that those teams have interest in him or not. just don't know.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You obviously don't know how taxes work in provinces and in the states.

The tax filings are extremely complicated for professional athletes, but he could definitely be losing close to $1M in taxes over the remainder of his contract if he gets traded to a state that has an income tax.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Well this aged well.

You're right, it did. Max Domi is under 6'0'' but he isn't a smurf.

upload_2020-10-6_23-32-52.png

upload_2020-10-6_23-33-12.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The tax filings are extremely complicated for professional athletes, but he could definitely be losing close to $1M in taxes over the remainder of his contract if he gets traded to a state that has an income tax.

It's a guessing game but if he moves to the right place and plays well he'll have the opportunity for another contract that will make up that tax difference. Look at a guy like Zajac in NJ. He's older, but he's maintained his role on a bad team and is still an NHL player. He's navigated injuries and the team looking to move him (he didn't waive his no trade clause) and assuming he doesn't fall off the table he'll almost certainly get another contract for a year or two from a win now team needing a third line center. Frankly, Zajac should waive this year at the trade deadline (assuming there is a season) to go to a good team and have a solid playoff run that will earn him some extra money. Johnson should have the same strategy but identifying the right team is the tricky part. Maybe DET to play behind Larkin and hope some of the prospects pan out and he benefits from that? NJ doesn't seem like a good fit since Johnson would be pushed to 3C if not 4C. Maybe BUF to play behind Eichel? Maybe MN?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yes and no, depends on residency and other fillings. He could pay the same tax or less moving to Canada. But you know TSN doesn't like to talk about that.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes and no, depends on residency and other fillings. He could pay the same tax or less moving to Canada. But you know TSN doesn't like to talk about that.

this is completely untrue. And has been refuted by. Multiple agents. GMs and players in multiple news articles. Interviews and other media.

the RCA is an rrsp for rich people. That’s all it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad