LeBrun: Lightning talking to Tyler Johnson about waiving his NTC

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Absolutely not in Johnsons case. Yeah cost certainty overpayment for what he brings at this point in his career.

Well its the same concept its money and cap space. Yeah the goalie market is soft but Fleury only has two years left and in a vaccum has more value than Johnson.

Patrick Marleau took a 1st to get rid of him last year and he had one year left. Why would Johnson return any asset at 5 million with what 4 years left when he is a small player on a steady decline. He was great at one point but clearly isnt the same player he was.

Agreed I think Killorn has to be the player that is moved in this situation. He is a good player for sure, as a sens fan id trade a 2nd for him.

Killorn I can see retaining value but not a first cap hit is too high. I could see someone giving up a late second.
I disagree that Fleury has more value on his contract, he’s turning 36 in November and is tied with Rask as the forth highest paid goalie in the league. If you offered a 2021 2nd with Johnson I believe someone would take you up on that and no one did with Fleury but you may disagree.

Marleau only agreed to waive his NTC if he was bought out so the Canes bought a 2020 1st round pick for 3.833m dollars.

Reactions: NatoGhost

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
No team will ever sign with Tampa again because they asked a player to waive a NTC.

Ever. They will have to continue to draft 60 pt wingers with every 3rd pick they get if they hope to do anything.

I bet this changes how willing players are to take a cheaper deal though.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The Sharks shouldn't be spending a 1st on either player nor their 2nd. Tampa needs to clear cap and if they want the Sharks to do that, the most they should give up is the Colorado 2nd. If Tampa can get a better deal then they should obviously take that but the Sharks shouldn't pay more than that when there will be other cap-clearing options or players they can go sign.
I just mean in general, but still no interest in dealing our first for either anyways

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Under old management the Panthers would probably offer a 2nd. I think Neato Zito gets his Johnson for a 3rd and a couple league minimum players/prospects.

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
Remarkable how many HF Posters are talking about this from the angle of "Helping Tampa get out of cap hell" instead of honestly assessing if a player like Tyler Johnson or Alex Killorn would help their club. GMs don't make deals to "help out" another team. They approach them with the mindset of improving their own clubs. The bottom line is that some of the players Tampa is looking to move DO have value and can help A LOT of other clubs. What ensues is a bidding war of sorts. GMs bidding against one another to get the player they feel helps improve their club.

Expect the Lightning to get much more value for any of these talked-about players than you expect. And I fully expect HF to explode with jealousy at the returns..

Ya except this thing called Covid that has made the cap flat for a few years. There will be no bidding war.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Tyler Johnson had more goals than Donato has ever had points in a season last year.
Sure, so if he gets a minor sweetener it will be probably a similar 2021 mystery pick. Maybe slight worse, like a 2021 4th. Or better?

I can’t tell at all what the potential trade would be like. I assumed they would push him out the door. I also assume they don’t have to offer sweeteners or retain and get a small return that includes a body with a contract but I’m not brimming with confidence other than with the “a trade will eventually somehow happen” part because he can’t squat in Tampa for four years. It’s not feasible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kind of irrelevant, to be honest.

I think we overestimate how much winning a cup matters compared to living conditions/lifestyle/family security to these guys.

I don't. Considering they all just risked their health away from their families for multiple months to win a cup.

There is so much projection going on in this thread. It's business. Tyler Johnson wants to play hockey, he's going to accept a trade.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Tampa management are being the jerks.
If you look at the big picture, management ultimately would be doing the player a favor while helping themselves. If Johnson stays with TB he doesn't necessarily move up the depth chart even if they lose Cirelli to an offer sheet. Johnson's average TOI in the finals clearly suggests he is worth more somewhere else. If he stays here, this contract has a better chance of being his last in this league.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Who cares that they're asking for a first? If the best you can get is a 2nd then why start there?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
The post I replied to was talking about being wanted. I don't think TJ will be resented by the other players for still being on the team next year if they can't find a trade that works for both parties.

I dont either. But I also don't think the other players will resent management for making the trade. They all understand the situation. It's one benefit of being a top team that's trying to stay that way. Guys have to buy in. Of course you can't just mistreat players and try to screw them but I don't think management is doing that, and I don't think they players think they are either.

Reactions: ShaneinTpa

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
That would cripple their ability to sign players to long term, team friendly deals. They would lose respect and trust from players and agents.
I would tend to agree if the player in question was producing to the level of contract he signed. When you look at this season it is pretty clear to me he didn't. I like the kid and don't want to see him go. But this is a business and it is not on this team to protect those who have not lived up to the level of the contract they signed.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It's not like we can trade him anywhere we want. If a trade happens, it's to a place he's willing to go to.

I love how pissy some fans are that we seem to be able to navigate our way out of the supposed "cap hell" with minimal damage once again.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
The thing people don’t understand is that GM’s aren’t looking at this situation to f*** with Tampa. They are looking at this as a chance to get a top 6 player for cheap. If you can get Johnson for a second round pick it might just be worth it.
Yeah. If a GM is going to say no to a deal that would benefit their team just to stick it to another team, they're not a good GM.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Expect to be disappointed champ.
We just went through 30 pages of people saying exactly this to anyone who would even consider that Johnson might waive.

I have no idea what Johnson would fetch. I can't imagine they'd get a first, but a second? I'm fine with Tampa trying to get the best possible deal. We're like <24 hours removed from a near consensus that Tampa would have to add just to get someone to take him, and that he wouldn't be claimed on waivers.

If Tampa thinks he's worth a first, and HF thinks Tampa should add a first to get someone to take him, I'd say there is a pretty vast middle ground for Tampa fans to avoid disappointment.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Johnson is the easiest target for a move given Tampa's cap situation and his status as a bit of a "passenger" on that team. But so what. They gave him that contract. He shouldn't waive it at all. If they want to buy him out or waive him, let them. It's not his problem. Staying in Tampa should probably be his #1 priority. He gets his money either way. But he should throw up whatever walls he can against moving out of that situation. :dunno:
Porter I like the kid a lot. For that reason I say he is better off elsewhere. If he digs in his heels here it is not going to improve his ice time or his results. There is a better chance long term he makes more where his value is greater. With that said if he stays in Tampa, his value drops to where this contract could be his last.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't. Considering they all just risked their health away from their families for multiple months to win a cup.

There is so much projection going on in this thread. It's business. Tyler Johnson wants to play hockey, he's going to accept a trade.

If it's just business, why is he waiving his NTC to uproot his life and likely pay more taxes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad