Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Jake Guentzel | 7 years, $9M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It's really tough on Jake to come in during this. Won't be an easy situation because people will view him as Stamkos' replacement and wrongfully so. He's a heck of an add.
He's the perfect player. Can play 1st or 2nd line. Great hockey smarts. Faster than Stammer and solid on the PP. He'll be a 40 goal player playing with Kuch, Point, Paul, and Hedmonster on PP1 getting 10+ PP goals easily. The league is so used to seeing 91 this will be a shocker to them at first. Edit: Fixed it. Sheesh.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
He's the perfect player. Can play 1st or 2nd line. Great hockey smarts. Faster than Stammer and solid on the PP. He'll be a 40 point player playing with Kuch, Point, Paul, and Hedmonster on PP1 getting 10+ PP goals easily. The league is so used to seeing 91 this will be a shocker to them at first.
Only 40pts? lol

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
This kid better perform.
Unless there's some mental issues trying to live up to a large contract, I think he'll be fine. His playoff numbers are really nice

13 goals in Pittsburgh's 2017 cup run
10 goals in 12 playoff games in 2018
8 goals in 7 playoff games in 2022

4 goals in 11 playoff games for Carolina this year

Since he entered the league in 2016-17, only Pastrnak, Marchand, Draisaitl, Point, and MacKinnon have more playoff goals than him.

goalsgoals per gamegame winning goals
MacKinnon460.577
Point420.488
Draisaitl410.554
Marchand400.4411
Pastrnak390.436
Guentzel380.558

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
On one side I don't want contract talks with important players every year and Guentzel was going to get that AAV for sure, anywhere he went, but 7 years? I understand Guentzel wanted term too as it was going to be his last big contract but I figured we were an attractive enough of a destionation for him to settle for 5-6 years?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
On one side I don't want contract talks with important players every year and Guentzel was going to get that AAV for sure, anywhere he went, but 7 years? I understand Guentzel wanted term too as it was going to be his last big contract but I figured we were an attractive enough of a destionation for him to settle for 5-6 years?
I think with alot of these contracts we've given out the last 2 years the term doesn't matter as much. By the later years for some of these deals our window will have closed and we'll be baaaaaaad. Still need to reach the cap floor. There's hope of shedding some of the contracts in trades or buyouts (although I believe Guentzels contracts isn't an easy one to buyout since all the bonuses?).

They'll be a need of both shedding contracts and keeping some to ice a roster that can lead the tank!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This poor guy doesn’t fully understand the shit show he is walking into. He doesn’t live up to this contract the fan response will be swift.

And JBB has bet his career on this move…..

huh? half this board is defending Jeannot who had one fluke season, Guentzel is coming in with 2 40 goal seasons and like 6 PPG seasons and now the skeptics come out on him? :laugh: you guys must have no faith in Kucherov too.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
huh? half this board is defending Jeannot who had one fluke season, Guentzel is coming in with 2 40 goal seasons and like 6 PPG seasons and now the skeptics come out on him? :laugh: you guys must have no faith in Kucherov too.
Guentzel will produce but the more casual fans, more than we may even expect, are going to wrongfully view him as the replacement to Stamkos and if he goes pointless it's always going to be

"HeS MaKiNg NiNe MiLlIoN, He BeTtEr ScOrE ToNiGhT"

Which, the only measure he should be held to is his tag. The pressure related to Stamkos is going to be unfortunate.

Yeah no matter the circumstances Tampa is a cakewalk for players compared to some of the larger markets.
Well, sure. It's still going to linger overhead until his welcome wears off and he lights it up.

I like Guentzel. I don't view him as an heir or coming in to replace Stamkos as his role is different, leadership, etc so he's given a fair shake. You're paid 9M, produce. It's that simple. I don't see why he won't either.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
i don't think anyone here is defending jeannot at this point. some of us just like to have some patience and not immediately shit on a player who got injured right as he got here.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
So having watched some highlights of last year. It seems as the Jake isn't affraid to go to the front of the net for the dirty greasy goals. He doesn't make the extra pass and instead does what's best in shooting the puck in high scoring chances (although this could change when playing with Kuch as everyone seems to get too cute and make the extra pass)
Guentzel typically uses wrist or snap shots, doesn't take slappers. Seems to find good positioning and doesn't seem to be a puck carrying forward which is good considering we don't need that.

Guentzel played infront of the net during the PP and could continue there but also as the behind the net bumper spot Killorn had, then creep to infront of the net when Kuch has the puck, still allowing Point to stay in the slot.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
So 23 og his playoff goals came in 16/17

Doh! That graphic about 38 playoff goal looks stupid now. That's 8 years ago.

Smdh. What are we doing here

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So 23 og his playoff goals came in 16/17

Doh! That graphic about 38 playoff goal looks stupid now. That's 8 years ago.

Smdh. What are we doing here
He had 8 goals in 7 games in 2022 and 4 in 11 this season.

Those Pittsburgh teams were pretty meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad