Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Jake Guentzel | 7 years, $9M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
You're basing this on literally nothing though. Every report, and there are a lot of them, says Stamkos wants to return to TB.
And? This is a message board. "I have to believe" is pretty speculative. No one on this Board knows. If they did and wrote it, they would never find anything out again...

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I like the Guentzel signing a lot. And yeah, in general, he's a better player than Stamkos. But this only makes us a little better than last year so far.
The difference 5v5 between Guentzel and Stamkos is enormous. We got better by much even strenght wise. Now let's see how JBB fills up the roster

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Good player, terrible contract. Pretty crazy how people talk about Sergachev's contract being an issue yet we turn around and sign a soon to be 30*yo winger for an even higher cap hit.

Might be fine for 1-3 years but I'd be surprised if this doesn't become a problem. I am not a fan at all of how JBB has been allocating this money lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gongshow

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
So Guentzel better put up 45g+65a this season or JBB needs to go. The team has generally been on a downward trend since SFY left and his lingering impact dried up

JBB continues to show he's not good at signings/contracts. It's 1mil too high.
Guentzel has to score 75+ points the next 4 years. Hopefully he make playoffs and he puts up 15+ points if we make it a few rounds

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The difference 5v5 between Guentzel and Stamkos is enormous. We got better by much even strenght wise. Now let's see how JBB fills up the roster
Yes, and we will lose some goals on the PP. In the end, it balances out to being better, but not by a lot. We are losing the guy who actually put up the better numbers last year. No doubt Guentzel is the better overall player, but the numbers Stamkos put up can't be completely discounted either.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Good player, terrible contract. Pretty crazy how people talk about Sergachev's contract being an issue yet we turn around and sign a soon to be 31yo winger for an even higher cap hit.

Might be fine for 1-3 years but I'd be surprised if this doesn't become a problem. I am not a fan at all of how JBB has been allocating this money lately.

Problem with Sergachev is he needed #1 PP time to reach his true effectiveness, and with Hedman on the team that was never going to happen.

Guentzel is going to thrive here

Doesn't excuse the Stamkos situation

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Wr aren't getting a true 2nd

line player for 4mil. We still owe Moser 2-3.

Stammer was our only possible cheap option for another top 6 winger after the Guentzel signing.

Shesry is playing on the 2nd line

Zucker and Heinen can be had for under $4M. They both have 20 goal potential and played top 6 last year.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Good player, terrible contract. Pretty crazy how people talk about Sergachev's contract being an issue yet we turn around and sign a soon to be 31yo winger for an even higher cap hit.

I really don't get it.
The contract is good, do you guys realize we just got an elite, scoring winger in his prime right? A guy that is 10th in even-strenght goals since joining the league? A guy that is a well known playoff monster?
Also, Guentzel is speedy but doesn't rely on that for his game. He's all hockey IQ with and without the puck. His game will translate well even when he'll be 35.

So Guentzel better put up 45g+65a this season or JBB needs to go. The team has generally been on a downward trend since SFY left and his lingering impact dried up.
The classic downtrend of 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals and 2 Stanley Cup Championships?
JBB continues to show he's not good at signings/contracts. It's 1mil too high.
Guentzel has to score 75+ points the next 4 years. Hopefully he make playoffs and he puts up 15+ points if we make it a few rounds
It was obvious Guentzel wouldn't have accepted a 8M AAV, as he turned down an 8Mx8years in Carolina.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Those are not 2nd line players

Yea they are. Heinen played some on the first line for Boston and had 17 goals, and Zucker was a 2nd line guy for Nashville and had 14. And he's usually around the 15-25 goal mark when healthy.

Drouin is another option, but I think he'll be more expensive.

Those are probably the only guys you're going to get who can slot in on the 2nd line that will be under $5M. Unless you want to get someone for $2M who produced less than them last year or move Paul up to the 2nd...there's not a lot of other options with our cap space.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
JBB is most likely done. Sheary will slot into the 2nd line with Hagrl and Cirelli. Hedman extention for next year and Mason signed so we'll have like 2 mil or so for the TDL
Yea they are. Heinen played some on the first line for Boston and had 17 goals, and Zucker was a 2nd line guy for Nashville and had 14. And he's usually around the 15-25 goal mark when healthy.

Drouin is another option, but I think he'll be more expensive.

Those are probably the only guys you're going to get who can slot in on the 2nd line that will be under $5M. Unless you want to get someone for $2M who produced less than them last year or move Paul up to the 2nd...there's not a lot of other options with our cap space.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I know a majority of posters here want to maroon Sheary on Ceti Alpha V (5 for those who don't get the reference) but Sheary and Guentzel have history together so... add in Coop's monumental stubbornness with not changing lines - Sheary becomes the 2nd line RW.

I mean, stranger things have happened and maybe they should, but you have to take a step and think that the staff is going to find a way to re-invigorate Sheary and by adding Guentzel, that's what they may cling to.

So its 3rd/4th line depth or another D to push down Lils or Perbix on the menu today

• Wow
Reactions: CupsOverCash

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

Damn, someone better tell Jake he's skipping his 30th birthday. I guess that's the penalty for going to a team with no state income tax, he had to agree to skip one year of his life.

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
There are still a few names out there that Tampa could add, provided they move Sheary. Sprong, Duclair, Tarasenko, Roslovic, Wennberg could all be names that Tampa could still be looking at. Even Skinner could be an option, although I don't think the fit is great there.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Yes, and we will lose some goals on the PP. In the end, it balances out to being better, but not by a lot. We are losing the guy who actually put up the better numbers last year. No doubt Guentzel is the better overall player, but the numbers Stamkos put up can't be completely discounted either.

Opinion? Thought that was frowned upon. By the way what did Stamkos end up doing, exploring free agency and going. Missed on team, so close to calling it ...

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
There's going to be so much pressure on Guentzel. On one hand, 9M, live up to it. On the other hand, I don't see him as the reason we lost out on Stamkos.

Fully on Brisebois. Can't imagine McDonagh is happy either.
I would imagine not many in that lockeroom are overly happy Stammer is gone.

We got McD back for some lockeroom leadership, but we just lost the captain

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad