Post-Game Talk: Lightning @ Leafs | No guts, no heart, no playoffs ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
your statement is accurate but we could also be out of a playoff spot once those teams make up the games in hand.

It's not that easy to make up ground. Teams that are fighting for those spots play against each other and help us out because both teams can't take 2 points.

We need to put an end to Montreal's win streak though. Columbus winning tonight in regulation would be great.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bernier's GAA is better. His SV% puts him top 4 in goalies who have played at least 50 games. Reimer's SV% puts him 30th overall and only 4 goalies that rank better than him have played less games than him. It's not rocket science that the more games you play, the harder it is to maintain a high SV%.

I never said that Reimer was the only problem...hell I don't think I ever said he was a problem at all. I'm not in the category of people who call Reimer garbage and says he sucks. I've actually defended him against those kind of comments but I do believe that Bernier is clearly the better goaltender and I do think his numbers are much better than Reimer's. It comes down to the indisputable fact that both goalies play in front of the same players and one fairs much better than the other. In Bernier's last 18 appearances in net, he has only lost TWICE in regulation. TWICE. If you don't value stats, results and actual performance *which Bernier has been better in all categories* when comparing goalies then I'm not sure what's left for you to look at.

And I never said Bernier wasn't better. All I said was Reimer's numbers don't show him to be the garbage so many Leaf "fans" are screaming about. He has played well enough to win if the rest of the cast of characters played up to their abilities. Heaping the blame on any one guy is ludicrous when this team is so full of equally guilty characters.

Incidentally I wasn't singling you out. It was just a piece of what you said that triggered my response and I just put it out there as a response to your comment.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Few more goals against and we will be in Edmonton, Florida territory !

Like it or not, Leafs have a weak Defence and we need the best goalie possible in there.

Get better Bernier.

attachment.php

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/ Sorted by GA in Excel.

If you look at the teams with More GA than the Leafs .... they are out of the playoffs by a mile !

Which only goes to prove the goaltending is not the reason for what's going on. Carlyles's system obviously does not fit his cast of characters. His system aside the players are not doing the best they can do. There is too much blame to go around to blame this on goaltending. Therefore the fans who are saying they understand that the rest of the team is partly responsible and then attacking Reimer like a rabid wolf pack in a feeding frenzy is just wrong.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As a consolation, I don't see Detroit overtaking a playoff spot. They are close and they have 3 games in hand, so they could conceivably do it. I just see them as an unlikely. However, Columbus is playing like they want to stay there and Toronto is not. Therefore the dog nipping at the Leaf's heels is the perennial late finishers, the Washington Capitols.

Putting it very simply, if Ovi and his team put on another of their late mad dash runs, the Leafs will have to match their fury. At this point that would be a tall task.

Maybe the Caps don't have another sprint in their tank. Maybe Detroit folds up and limps off to the summer. Best bet is for TO to get back to their efforts of a very short time ago and finish this season on a good run and they won't have to worry about what's behind them. I fear if they get into a three or four way dog fight they could end up on the outside looking in.

Their making the cut won't matter if they don't figure out to fix the defensive woes that have plagued them for such a long while. You can't
last in the playoffs playing the D these guys do even with a goaltender doing headstands on a nightly basis. Big problems to get from a just in team to one that can actually challenge.

Could really use some of that Clarkson cap space to help with those defensive woes in the off season. His chunk will hurt for a long time.
If changing the roster can't fix it, perhaps a replacement for Randy could bring in a guy who can devise a system that better fits the abilities of the current roster.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Michel Therrien would have a field day with this team. They are so soff. Remember that rant a few years ago? :laugh: I think you can exactly apply it to the team right now.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I see literally no chance the leafs missing the playoffs with their roster.

You guys will get in

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Reimer hasn't been playing well the past 3 games. These save percentages are atrocious. His save % in 5v5 score close situations (game within 1 goal. This is a very important determinant of winning) and penalty killing especially sucks ass. Not to throw James under the bus or anything. It wouldn't hurt to try Macintyre for a game if Bernier isn't ready for the next game.

Even-Strength: 68 saves/75 shots allowed, .907 save %
-----5v5: 66sv/73sa, .904 sv%
-----5v5 score close: 29sv/34sa, .853 sv%
-----5v5 tied: 10sv/13sa, .769 sv%
Penalty Kill: 13sv/17sa, .765 sv%
Powerplay: 1 sv/1sa
Total: 82sv/93sa, .882 sv%

Over a large sample size (like the past 3 seasons), Reimer's save % is pretty good in 5v5 (he's weaker in penalty killing I believe. Bad rebound control is more likely to cost you on the PK.) Goalies go through peaks and valleys throughout their careers. So it's not that Reimer sucks. Not exactly having a good season (though his 5v5 sv% this season last I checked was good. Though after these last three games, maybe not so much anymore. It's the PK that gives him problems. When you have such a ****** PK to begin with, you are pretty ****ed as a goalie as is. Bernier is doing a considerably better job on the PK).

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I see literally no chance the leafs missing the playoffs with their roster.

You guys will get in

I see literally no chance the Leafs win a game if Bernier isn't PERFECT. What's the point of making the playoffs if the Leafs are going to get their ass handed to them.

If the Leafs make the playoffs, it's going to be a very entertaining series :laugh:

Leafs will prove everyone who says "It's hard to score in the playoffs" wrong. We will give up 3 goals before the 1st period ends.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
kessel
jvr
kadri
lupul
raymond

this team is missing a lot of grittiness, heart and hustle from its top forwards...they can all contribute offensively but the other side of the rink they all suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad