GDT: Lightning @ Devils - 6:45 PM - MSG

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I actually think the Senators are gonna be good this year, I don't think getting rolled by them and getting a goalie game is the end of the world. The bigger worry for me are the Leafs/tonight/2nd Caps game

Not sure I get what you mean here. In the sense that you don’t agree with the assessments in my post?

I think they'll get better but we don't have proof that it will, it's more so just blind faith in the stars +Keefe+ Luke/Pesce pair being we all think it'll be

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not sure I get what you mean here. In the sense that you don’t agree with the assessments in my post?

I think they're saying they don't think they could continue to be this bad but also because we've been so bad it's hard to expect more without hesitation. That's also where I'm at. Like I just can't believe they're actually this bad but I also don't know how good they'll be and I'm not going to expect them to be good until they are.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I actually think the Senators are gonna be good this year, I don't think getting rolled by them and getting a goalie game is the end of the world. The bigger worry for me are the Leafs/tonight/2nd Caps game

I think they'll get better but we don't have proof that it will, it's more so just blind faith in the stars +Keefe+ Luke/Pesce pair being we all think it'll be
If the second Caps game happened and they adjusted and showed up ready tonight, regardless of the result I would’ve been happy. Instead they just came out flat tonight.

On the other side, Tampa came in our building on a b2b on a mission. Ready and focused after losing yesterday.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Since people think I'm a "doom and gloomer", I don't think this is the best hockey we've seen from them this year BUT at the same time what you just said is what gives me hesitation.

I got this Anaheim/Sharks game on my laptop with HF up + Vegas/Kings game on my TV, wires crossed :laugh::laugh:
“Doom and gloomer” is not what I said

I said doomers and bloomers which are two separate entities

Doomers = overreacting this early in the season

Bloomers = completely ignoring the issues the team is going through this early

And I wasn’t referring to you in my posts

My point is, theres a middle ground here. Everyone is freaking out and its mid October

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
“Doom and gloomer” is not what I said

I said doomers and bloomers which are two separate entities

Doomers = overreacting this early in the season

Bloomers = completely ignoring the issues the team is going through this early

And I wasn’t referring to you in my posts

Oh it wasn't you, lol. We've always been cordial in our disagreements, I think it's fair for people to let this team breath but it's like where do you give them the benefit of the doubt? This core might just think "here we go again" if they're out of the playoffs by Thanksgiving and psych themselves out. Hell, they were ahead of the Islanders last year in March after the Kakkonen shutout at UBS and the Isles STILL jumped them and got in with a late season surge.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Oh it wasn't you, lol. We've always been cordial in our disagreements, I think it's fair for people to let this team breath but it's like where do you give them the benefit of the doubt? This core might just think "here we go again" if they're out of the playoffs by Thanksgiving
I give them the benefit of the doubt because:

Keefe
New veteran D acquisitions in Kov, Pesce, Dillon
Goaltending

I think we need more time here for this to come together. This isn’t a Ruff team with a bunch of kids on the backend with no depth there. That is why I am holding back my angst for now.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think they're saying they don't think they could continue to be this bad but also because we've been so bad it's hard to expect more without hesitation. That's also where I'm at. Like I just can't believe they're actually this bad but I also don't know how good they'll be and I'm not going to expect them to be good until they are.

Ya, basically this. I'm a bit scrambled right now watching these games and trying to make coherent points. :laugh:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If the second Caps game happened and they adjusted and showed up ready tonight, regardless of the result I would’ve been happy. Instead they just came out flat tonight.

On the other side, Tampa came in our building on a b2b on a mission.

Shit both the Leafs and Lightning walked all over us when they were on the 2nd half of a b2b. We on the other hand got killed by Carolina on our b2b. I said in the Carolina thread I really don't think b2b's matter this early. Guys shouldn't really be tired yet. All of those games were just good team beating up on not so good team.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Keefe
Goaltending

I think we need more time here for this to come together. This isn’t a Ruff team with a bunch of kids on the backend with no depth there. That is why I am holding back my angst for now.
They’re definitely playing like a Ruff team so far. They’re playing with no care and attention to detail and it’s frustrating the hell out of me.

These guys are pros. They’ve seen winning teams and what it takes. They know it. They don’t have to be told every single little thing. Just play a smart brand of hockey.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Keefe
Goaltending

That's fair, Dillon is overplaying in the lineup right now which should change once Pesce gets back. We saw how Severson was in 22-23 when he was slotted correctly, different type of dmen but you get the point. And the Ruff team is an interesting point because I still think they fall back into those bad habits once the game gets a bit hectic. I think the last two games were way more how Lindy wanted the Devils to play than Keefe does.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This is how I am viewing these bad games at the moment

IMG_4319.jpeg

Tagging @Cheddabombs because he loves this meme

I am holding back my expectations, my analysis, my critiques and judgements because:

A.) Keefe should be given a longer leash since he is putting in a new system on a team that was stuck in Ruff’s habits for four years.

B.) A depth on D we haven’t seen in a long time. One with a big veteran and physical presence. One that has two key injuries.

C.) Markstrom and Allen can help this team stay in games from time to time. The team won’t have to worry about a rookie in net or Vitek shitting the bed on every shot.

D.) Bratt and Jack will not have many more games of being no factors. They are top tier players in this league.

I am holding everything back until I see this team grow/die together in November. October is not a month to be making judgements on the team either way, no matter the season because it’s always random hockey throughout the league. I think some folks are overreacting on both sides while I think we should all just let this play out a little longer.

And yes, I know its a hockey forum lol. But I still think we should all just drop it down a peg for a little bit.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That's fair, Dillon is overplaying in the lineup right now which should change once Pesce gets back. We saw how Severson was in 22-23 when he was slotted correctly, different type of dmen but you get the point. And the Ruff team is an interesting point because I still think they fall back into those bad habits once the game gets a bit hectic. I think the last two games were way more how Lindy wanted the Devils to play than Keefe does.

Thankfully he let up on Dillon tonight. Last game both he and Siegs were up near 23 minutes at 5v5 with Dougie the next closest at 18. Tonight Siegs-Kovy leading the way near 21 while Dillon-Dougie in the 17s. Siegs-Kovy needs to be the top pair until they prove they shouldn't be.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Just wish they were playing good hockey to start the year, whether they win or lose at this point in the season isn’t too dramatic. But they just look disjointed, unbothered, and unfocused.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
First of all, you absolutely do scoff at it. You're doing it in the very same post by engaging in this reductionist BS. This is the equivalent of saying the key to winning games is to score more than the other team. It says nothing about how you actually accomplish "being good, making the right play", as you say. And if we as fans don't have a clear observation of what this team's identity, that's not a good sign that it's well defined within the organization. Did anyone ever have any trouble pinpointing the identity of the Devils between 1994-2012?

It's not reductionist BS. I have no idea how a team forms an identity, but all the winning teams do it, apparently. Can you pinpoint Colorado's identity? How about Vegas? Tampa? Florida? These are all really good teams and the last 4 to win the Cup. They score goals and they play good defense, and they have some physical players, and some not-so-physical players. I'm sure every player on these teams could tell you what their identity was. I don't know that because I'm not on the team, but it all amounts to the same idea. None of these teams are trying to reinvent anything.

This isn't remote a goalpost shift. Chemistry and identity are linked for obvious reasons. An identity requires everyone being on the same page consistently. How the F can you be on the same page if you don't have chemistry?

It absolutely is a goalpost shift. Lines can have good chemistry on teams that don't have identity (i.e. that don't win).

Every good team plays solid defense. How did they play solid defense? Speed was part of it. They were also killer in transition. Again because of speed. That was their identity. It's not what they are accomplishing, it's how.

How was speed part of their defense? Severson and Marino are above-average skaters - I wouldn't describe anyone else on that blueline as being fast, and indeed Brendan Smith is probably slow. I do not understand how speed is an identity but okay, you just left out the part about how they want to force the opposition into turnovers via quicker skating and then transitioning the puck up ice.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding ZZ Pops. They were the most consistent line across three seasons and there was a reason for it.

Jamie Langenbrunner played the fewest minutes of the 3 over the 3 seasons between 2008 and 2010. He played 2961 minutes 5v5. What percentage of those would you guess he played with Zach and Travis? And sure shifts bleed over and whatnot and there's the end of served penalties and so on, so obviously something like 90% isn't possible, that's not how hockey works. But what percentage would you guess?

Yeah Meier and Hughes don't work together, but it goes beyond that. Who are the guys that really work well together consistently? People will say well Timo + Nico and Jack + Bratt, yet coaches don't seem to stick with those pairings consistently either. Do these guys still produce? Yeah, but I never get the sense they consistently click in a way that lines with great chemistry do. The potential never seems to fully materialize across the long term.

Timo has not had a full season here where he wasn't injured for half of it. Travis Green had the bad Jack almost exclusively and then not at all. So basically, you have one coach who didn't stick with those pairings.

And yet they have a top 6 of the exact opposite type of player. I'm not saying every single one of them should fit the exact same mold, but the dichotomy shouldn't be that striking.

It's not really the case, either. How does Nico Hischier not fit that? How does Timo Meier not fit that?

More reductionism. Tampa intentionally targets players that are highly skilled but willing to spear you in the nuts if you f*** with them, who can embarrass you if you want to play a high flying game but also are willing to play lock-down, shot-blocking 1-0 games if needed. Yeah coaching is part of it, because you need someone to demand that identity. The coach is hired by management.

Oh, okay. Wow, what a list they've got, incredible they manage to find their guy every time. It's not reductive - Tampa looks for good players first and foremost. Yes, they look for speed, and yeah, they like grit.

This has nothing to do with bringing the 90's back, there's no reason to even bring that up. I agree Keefe is trying that.

lol, then why did you bring it up at the beginning of the post? There's reason for you to bring it up but not me, got it.

I agree that identities aren't build in a day, but this statement is again you clearly scoffing at the concept of identity by passive aggressively implying that it's just a nebulous ascription to winning, as opposed to an active ingredient in the formula.

I scoff at the notion of identity because I do not have access to the Devils' locker room or their coaching staff. Sure, teams have to understand how to play as teams, to trust that their teammate will be in the place they expect them to be. But for me, yes, it is just a nebulous ascription to winning, you've gotten that exactly correct. Losing teams don't have identity, that's their problem. If they had it, they would've won. But they didn't, so they don't.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Buffalo and Utah were good. Tampa and Carolina were downright bad. The 2 Caps games were pretty bad. Sure they won the first one but they looked bad, same for the 2nd one even if they got a point. The game against the Sens they got dominated, Markstrom and the posts bailed them out. Thats 33% of the games they looked good in my book.
Buffalo #1 was OK. #2 and Utah were good. Against Toronto they were bad and Caroline they were downright awful. I thought the first Caps game was meh, the second even more meh. Sens was also middle of the road. They were meh in this Tampa game as well, not nearly as bad as people here are suggesting. Overall pretty average, but it's 9 games in, starting in Europe, lots of games in a short time span, new coach, new players. Trying to unlearn some shit habits from previous years. Really not far off from where you might expect a team in this position, IMO.

What happened with you today, you're usually much more positive than this?

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So I see we have the excuse lined up and ready to go for like the fifth year in a row. :rolleyes:

You want to talk about shifting goal posts. "Just get goalies who aren't bottom of the barrel" is the refrain we've heard every season. I don't recall there being any concern about them being in their 30's, until now of course when the possibility of our defense making them look like shit again pops up.

People have absolutely brought up this concern. Both guys might be done.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Just wish they were playing good hockey to start the year, whether they win or lose at this point in the season isn’t too dramatic. But they just look disjointed, unbothered, and unfocused.

Feels like a rerun.

The one thing I will 100% join the doom train on is Dougie. I know he will be given a long leash due to his injury last year but his play has been scaring me

Both his and Dillon's poor play is being exacerbated by them being together. It was an awful fit in theory and has been an awful fit on ice. I'd like to see Dougie in a different situation to see how much of it is just being with Dillon right now.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
And the other thing we will have to deal with is getting Pesce and Luke up to speed because there will be warts in their initial games as they slowly get back into the swing of things. People need to be prepared for that as well.

But they will 100% help and the pairings will be better balanced with them in the lineup.

And I honestly do not see many more games where Bratt and Jack are non factors. They are just too good.

A little more patience I say.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's not reductionist BS. I have no idea how a team forms an identity, but all the winning teams do it, apparently. Can you pinpoint Colorado's identity? How about Vegas? Tampa? Florida? These are all really good teams and the last 4 to win the Cup. They score goals and they play good defense, and they have some physical players, and some not-so-physical players. I'm sure every player on these teams could tell you what their identity was. I don't know that because I'm not on the team, but it all amounts to the same idea. None of these teams are trying to reinvent anything.

No dog in this fight but all 4 of those team's identities are pretty evident. Colorado was team speed and similar to us in 22-23 but on steroids, Tampa Bay was a superstar laden version of the 90-2000's Devils where you have defensive minded forwards but they legit had superstars who played the gritty game (we saw what Kucherov/Hedman/Sergachev did post whistle in 2018), Vegas was all defense and protecting the house in front of their goalie while also having two way forwards who did everything (better version of the Trotz Isles), Florida was basically the sum of the parts was better than individual players even though that roster was stacked on the forward side but more so defensively. Guys like OEL/Forsling/Bennett who were afterthoughts and laughed out of town who were brought into town to make their own name/legacy elsewhere. Florida's identity was basically 2017-2018 Vegas but with two superstar forwards in Alex Barkov/Matt Tkachuk leading the way.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Buffalo #1 was OK. #2 and Utah were good. Against Toronto they were bad and Caroline they were downright awful. I thought the first Caps game was meh, the second even more meh. Sens was also middle of the road. They were meh in this Tampa game as well. Overall pretty average, but it's 9 games in, starting in Europe, lots of games in a short time span, new coach, new players. Trying to unlearn some shit habits from previous years. Really not far off from where you might expect a team in this position, IMO.

What happened with you today, you're usually much more positive than this?
Your view of the games is pretty fitting to mine. We seem to agree there.

For the last sentence, I don’t really know lol. I’ll probably be back to my old optimist self tomorrow lol, but right now I’m just very frustrated with how this team plays. I just don’t understand it and watching tonight it just hit me I think. They’re just not playing good hockey and I’m kind of tired of making excuses for them. It comes from a place where I KNOW they have the talent, I know they have the skill, they just never seem to deliver. It’s so f***ing frustrating to me lol. I have a certain breaking point with the team. I’ve mentioned it a few times but last year was the game in Vancouver. I knew after that game that they were cooked. That game pissed me off to no end. I guess this year that game was tonight.

I hope they can pick it up, I’m confident they will, but if they don’t clean it up, we’re in trouble.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
And the other thing we will have to deal with is getting Pesce and Luke up to speed because there will be warts in their initial games as they slowly get back into the swing of things. People need to be prepared for that as well.

But they will 100% help and the pairings will be better balanced with them in the lineup.

And I honestly do not see many more games where Bratt and Jack are non factors. They are just too good.

A little more patience I say.

I think it's very possible Pesce could end up disappointing people with his play even after adjusting. If Kovy is really this though then that eases Pesce coming in below expectations.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The one thing I will 100% join the doom train on is Dougie. I know he will be given a long leash due to his injury last year but his play has been scaring me
Funny, cause I’m not really worried about him lol. I just think him and Dillon don’t work
together.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think it's very possible Pesce could end up disappointing people with his play even after adjusting. If Kovy is really this though then that eases Pesce coming in below expectations.

Been saying this last part, the more games Kovaecvic plays like he has, the easier for Pesce to come in and settle himself in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad