GDT: Lightning @ Devils - 6:45 PM - MSG

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Watching 2007 first round highlights against Tampa.

Elias - Gomez - Gionta
Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - Madden - Brylin

What a fun top-9 to cheer for. Responsible, intelligent, structured hockey. How things change.
Out of morbid curiosity, I wanna see the GDT of game 1 against the Sens in round 2 where we went down 4-0 in the first period. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Watching 2007 first round highlights against Tampa.

Elias - Gomez - Gionta
Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - Madden - Brylin

What a fun top-9 to cheer for. Responsible, intelligent, structured hockey. How things change.
I don't know, that third line was pretty close to the grave by that point. That was the first year where Maddolfo were really getting torched by top lines, and I remember thinking they didn't have it anymore.

Madden was still a fine player at that point, just no longer a legit shutdown forward.

Pandolfo was barely even NHL caliber anymore at that point.

Brylin was still decent, but the next season would be his last in the NHL and he didn't have much left by 07-08. Honestly, Pandolfo didn't either, but was still coasting on reputation.

That third line/bottom 6 probably had a lot to do with why we weren't really a legit cup threat at all by that point, along with some of the guys we had on defense. And it got even worse the next season after we lost Rafalski. That was our last year with him.

That top 6 was pretty sweet though.

But we could have easily lost that series if not for how bad the Tampa goalie was. He was another Swedish guy who didn't play in the NHL for more than a couple years. Holmqvist I think? Was that his name? I think we went down 2 games to 1 in that series and came close to losing game 4 before Gomez scored the winner in OT. Then we won out from there.

That was the series that brought us the famous ''Get the f*** outta here'' quote from Torts to Larry Brooks after game 5, including John MacLean and Torts going at it on the bench that game.

Reactions: Dialamo

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Siegs has actually been real good so far this year overall. Put him back with Hamilton.

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Pesce
Dillon-Kovacevic/Nemec
Just posted the exact same lineup in the team news thread. I like that look. Only thing is I could see them wanting a shutdown pair and putting Siegs and Pesce together or keeping Siegs and Kovacevic

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
What a horribly managed 3rd period by the refs. As obvious bad call as you can possibly get. shown on the big screen multiple times and the entire arena knows they f***ed up. Instead of going back and admit they made a mistake, they decide to just game manage the pp. Tampa scores on the opening faceoff so they can't game manage the PP. Spend time trying to game manage the goal, but since it was called a goal, they're unable to do so.

Fans were excited because of the momentum and they straight killed the entertainment for the night.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
turned the game off pretty early. don't regret it.

Weird night in hockey, look at the OOT scoreboard. Not even close to the most embarrassing loss tonight (looking at you Toronto).
Thankfully the rest of the Metro is looking ass so far. Canes lose again. Isles look like poo. Flyers Pens Jackets will not do anything. Caps are beatable.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
turned the game off pretty early. don't regret it.

Weird night in hockey, look at the OOT scoreboard. Not even close to the most embarrassing loss tonight (looking at you Toronto).

Columbus is gonna be a very weird team this year, they're going to be playing with very heavy hearts this year. Whoever has a second leg B2B versus them being fresh is gonna probably lose most of the time if I had to bet.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The one really noticeable thing to me tonight that kind of got lost in the shit is that Timo Meier for the first time that we traded for him actually look like the player I thought we traded for.

It wasn’t a crazy special game and he’s had some good games before. But he just looked like a more skilled and dangerous player to me tonight. Like he could actually create some offense on his own and beat players with skill. Got me pretty excited for a bit before shit hit the fan and he put up 5 shots.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The one really noticeable thing to me tonight that kind of got lost in the shit is that Timo Meier for the first time that we traded for him actually look like the player I thought we traded for.

It wasn’t a crazy special game and he’s had some good games before. But he just looked like a more skilled and dangerous player to me tonight. Like he could actually create some offense on his own and beat players with skill. Got me pretty excited for a bit before shit hit the fan and he put up 5 shots.
Him with 13 and 91 allows him to do his thing

Just doesn’t work with 63 86

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Yes, that's my point. What benefit of the doubt does this team deserve? I get the coaching staff stuff and all that but this team shouldn't be losing the Capitals in 2024 or look more dismal than teams on the B2B for the majority of the game.
Well my point is they do deserve the benefit of the doubt this early in the season precisely because they have one last built in excuse with a new coach, new system, new teammates. But all that will be gone if this season ends the same as so many before. THAT is when the benefit ends and action needs to be taken to shake up the core.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Audio sucks, but funny to hear Keefe get pissy with whoever asked about the Bratt hit again :laugh:

Also specifically loled at the "does anyone else have anymore questions", and the next one is the bratt right on the spot. I think it was Trey Matthews on the first roll of questions, then didn't catch who the 2nd was..

Keefe is a change of pace at the podium. He is pissed off more frequently. Interesting about his goalie use, he won't pull a backup on a starters night off if the game goes sideways.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hey guess what... the goaltending sucked today
Oh, did you have to get in twice?

Maybe the common denominator is that the team plays goalie killing terrible team defense for years.

So, like average goaltending isn't good enough, and now elite goaltending isn't good enough. Maybe we should spend money on Shesterkin to prove that the best goaltender in the league can't fix the garbage play on front of him.

But you're probably right: it's just bad goaltending for the last ten years, regardless of who is in net.

But hey here's your shot: please tell me how'd you pay a deflection from two feet out, since you're a pro. Let me know what you'd do with six people screening you or Hedman left alone on the slot or picking his spot from inside the circle?

You saw what average goaltending could do with a solid team defense two years ago. Vanacek was more than adequate. Allen made big stops in the first period, Markstrom has stood on his head at times.

This team is bad at team defense and hasn't figured out keefes system or something.

This game was dreadful.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad