Value of: Laine to Montreal

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Considering his value is at its lowest and he is in the assistance program, I'd say that the only way Columbus would trade him is if either:
1. Laine comes back and unequivocally requests a trade.
2. Another team makes a completely ridiculous offer with Columbus and Laine agreeing to the trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Outside opinion: if Columbus can out of Laine’s contract in full for a trivial return, they should seriously consider it.

He just doesn’t make sense long-term on a team with Gaudreau. How much of delaying to try to get something meaningful in return is about optics? Those aren’t that important. Vegas got dumped on hard at one time for giving away Pacioretty and they got the ultimate last laugh on fans and media.

Cap space has an opportunity cost. Ice time does as well. The latter is particularly relevant for a team so many young forwards.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Zero comparisons to the hockey players thenselves, but Montreal does not want to risk another Drouin like situation in Montreal right now.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Would Columbus sell low? Laine needs a change of scenery. Is Montreal interested ?
Columbus would need to sell very low for Montreal to be interested. Any trade with Montreal would have to include Anderson and/or Gallagher going to Columbus, so I doubt the Blue Jackets would be interested.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Columbus isn't gonna offload him for nothing while his value is at the lowest atm, would be rather silly of them.

Reactions: Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
There is no pressure to move Laine. Columbus has no cap issues. No reason to move him for personal reasons. The room loves him. Fantilli, the single most important player in the org, adores him. The skill is there. He's a better player than you, outside fan reading this thinking of making a crass "gonna retire to play fortnite lololol" joke, realize. The past year he had three freak injuries, two of which were the result of opposing players targeting him. There is absolutely no reason for Columbus to do anything right now but wait for him to come back healthy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There is no pressure to move Laine. Columbus has no cap issues. No reason to move him for personal reasons. The room loves him. Fantilli, the single most important player in the org, adores him. The skill is there. He's a better player than you, outside fan reading this thinking of making a crass "gonna retire to play fortnite lololol" joke, realize. The past year he had three freak injuries, two of which were the result of opposing players targeting him. There is absolutely no reason for Columbus to do anything right now but wait for him to come back healthy.
He's essentially been just under a PPG in his entire tenure at Columbus, the issue is his ability to stay on the ice and stay engaged. We don't even truly know what he's dealing with right now.

But yeah any talk of moving Laine right now is moot.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I dont want Laine anywhere near the habs. even for FREE at 100% retention. He only plays 1/2 a year now and of that 1/2 a year he only plays hard 1/2 of that. Can you imagine xhekaj who plays 110% every game and bleeds for the habs sitting along Laine "when the hell are YOU going to start playing asshoooooollll " OH, go ahead take a swing at me for that you will make MY DAY

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Define low? He's got 2 years at nearly 9 million. When healthy he has shown to be a point per game player, but he's missed a lot of games over the last few years.

Personally, I don't think Columbus moves on just yet and I don't think another team comes in trying to make them a fair value or even reasonable offer for them to consider. So if you're asking if they just move him to move him, no.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I dont want Laine anywhere near the habs. even for FREE at 100% retention. He only plays 1/2 a year now and of that 1/2 a year he only plays hard 1/2 of that.
Tell us you've never watched Laine in union blue without saying you've never watched Laine in union blue.

Accusing him of dogging it or of lack of effort here is like accusing Sasha Barkov of refusing to backcheck - it's not just not the problem, it is so overwhelmingly the opposite of the problem as to be ludicrously absurd. If anything, he tries too hard - he's too determined to push the team to victory and so takes risks and/or attempts to make plays that make things worse.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I dont want Laine anywhere near the habs. even for FREE at 100% retention. He only plays 1/2 a year now and of that 1/2 a year he only plays hard 1/2 of that. Can you imagine xhekaj who plays 110% every game and bleeds for the habs sitting along Laine "when the hell are YOU going to start playing asshoooooollll " OH, go ahead take a swing at me for that you will make MY DAY
Comments like these really make you roll your eyes.
1. Stop. Any team would take a free asset with 0 salary cap spent.
2. Even if you traded him for a meh return it's worth taking something free.
3. The decision on what player Montreal puts on the ice will have 0 to do with what Xhekaj thinks. He's not anybody you cater to.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Comments like these really make you roll your eyes.
1. Stop. Any team would take a free asset with 0 salary cap spent.
2. Even if you traded him for a meh return it's worth taking something free.
3. The decision on what player Montreal puts on the ice will have 0 to do with what Xhekaj thinks. He's not anybody you cater to.
4. Especially when the player is a 40-goal scorer, a 3x 30-goal scorer and 6x 20-goal scorer,

Reactions: Bigfish and TGWL

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Don't see Montreal trading for a headcase. Especially after the issues with Drouin and some others...

CBJ is the right place for Laine.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad