OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I hate the show runners, but as a fan, you have to expect it. The reality of putting the Silmarillion into a televised script comes with a few prerequisites, like majorly shortening the timeline, making the lore palatable to a bigger audience and changing major parts of the story to offer something less predictable. Most authors will tell you they don't mind the story changing. I've heard many of them state this. Martin, King, Crichton, Palahniuk and a few others, all have stated they expect nothing else and would be dissapointed if a new author wouldn't transform the story. Sure it has its limits, but truly, people in general will accept it if it's done right, but in the case of Rings of Power, it was handled very poorly. I consider them hacks. Being a good script doctor doesn't necessarily make a good scriptwriter and I am now doubtful they were any good as mere script doctors.

Did you know they based the whole story on two pages from unpublished papers? They couldn't get the rights to the Silmarillion.

Hard to tell on how Tolkien would have felt about the movies/series. In an interview, Simon Tolkien (his grandson) said that his grandfather wouldn't have liked LoTR because the movies were way too similar to the books. But then, these were the most critically acclaimed and the most liked by the fanbase. When Jackson started adding more stuff in the Hobbit, it showed a bit of decline. With Christopher Tolkien's death, the reign went to Simon and it probably shows. They wanted to go in a new direction but the fans hate it.

The lazy writing and choosing 2 unknown writers certainly don't help. With such a budget, it's really terrible.

I knew that they didn't have access to much media though but I didn't know it was that much ._.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
@Ozymandias - Guessing you watched the last episode of She-Hulk by now? We talked about this last thread, but i don’t think this is the same DD as the Netflix show. I guess we’ll know for certain in Born Again as IIRC, the Kingpin knew his identity in the prior show.
I did.

That was mega trash lmao. Forced 4th wall breaks, fun, fun.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
What would be your best foreign TV shows ? I haven't had a chance to watch the non-English series much, but I really like Money Heist, Alice in Bordeland and Squid Game. Do you know any show as great as them ?

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Couple quick reviews

Black Adams - If you removed the batman triology from the discussion it’s probably one of the best dc movies but that does’nt mean it’s a great movie either… Action and CGI is prob one of the best i’ve seen in the super hero movies. Fighting scenes are great. Won’t spoil the ending / mid credit scene but you probably saw it online, great things to come. Like very dc super hero movies there’s something missing in the story, it feels incomplete and they try hard to be too funny.

The Watcher - I knew about this story before I watched the series, I reaslly enjoyed it until the last episode where I felt like the series was about to get cancelled and they had to fit 5-6 episode in 1. Of course they had to took some liberties with the story, but wow they missed the boat with almost all of them. Still a decent show for netflix.

28 days haunted - Wow lol, was in a halloween mode this week, this is hot garbage but I still watched it in 2 days lol. Fake as can be, please watch it anyway, they don’t even try to hide that it’s fake (very last scene / cut is so ridiculous). There will be a season 2 and funny enough …. I can’t wait, it’s like paranormal actitivy meet a serious scary movie comedy vide.

Halloween Ends - Just horrible. Still not sure I understood what happened in the movie.

What would be your best foreign TV shows ? I haven't had a chance to watch the non-English series much, but I really like Money Heist, Alice in Bordeland and Squid Game. Do you know any show as great as them ?
With squid games and movies like Parasite , I really found a soft spot for Korean tv

• Wow
Reactions: Kimota and Redux91

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

Dark
Babylon berlin
Borgen
Fauda
kalifat
Lupin
série noire season 1 (quebec)
c'est comme ça que je t’aime
Les invincibles (quebec version)
Aller simple
Plan b (quebec version)
L’imposteur
Pachinko
Narcos

Reactions: Mrb1p

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Foreign movie: Parasite, obviously.

As for a series, C B Strike is one of the best I’ve seen, as recommended by @GoodKiwi.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Dark
Babylon berlin
Borgen
Fauda
kalifat
Lupin
série noire season 1 (quebec)
c'est comme ça que je t’aime
Les invincibles (quebec version)
Aller simple
Plan b (quebec version)
L’imposteur
Pachinko
Narcos
Thank you very much.
I've watched Lupin and Narcos; I like them. I've heard a lot of good praises about Dark, and also Fauda (a bit less). Maybe I should watch them next.

Reactions: Redux91

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
House of the dragon season 1: 8.5/10 great first season

black bird: 7.8/10 good mini-serie.

bullet train: 7.8/10 good action movie

the rings of power season 1: 6.5/10 A serie with no purpose and no soul but with good cinematography.

Reactions: Redux91 and Mrb1p

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watched 3 EPs of Karppi S3 on the plane. Really good. Dark of course. It's Finnish afterall.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Runner77

Started watching this guy on YT, Paul Chato, ex-CBC exec, thought you probably seen him, he's pretty funny and has an interesting prespective, even though he's never actually been a hollywood exec per se.

This guy has a Knowlton Nash vibe about him but he’s right about there being a changing of the guard in executive suites of the production and talent industry. I don’t know about his theory that these new hirings are not responding to what the audience wants — the « audience » is such a broad concept.

Unless he’s saying that these new « woke » hirings are not catering to their own ilk, who are generally not known for being consumers of productions, they tend to gravitate toward more reality-based media and art forms that don’t involve hours for a storyline to unfold but that too might be a myth.

It’s just too wide a spectrum to circumscribe but these new people might not care, they may just be too busy defining it on their own terms, influencing it rather than figuring it.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Thank you very much.
I've watched Lupin and Narcos; I like them. I've heard a lot of good praises about Dark, and also Fauda (a bit less). Maybe I should watch them next.
Gomorrah, le Bureau des Legendes and Dark are my 3 undisputed foreign tv series

Reactions: Redux91

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
This guy has a Knowlton Nash vibe about him but he’s right about there being a changing of the guard in executive suites of the production and talent industry. I don’t know about his theory that these new hirings are not responding to what the audience wants — the « audience » is such a broad concept.

Unless he’s saying that these new « woke » hirings are not catering to their own ilk, who are generally not known for being consumers of productions, they tend to gravitate toward more reality-based media and art forms that don’t involve hours for a storyline to unfold but that too might be a myth.

It’s just too wide a spectrum to circumscribe but these new people might not care, they may just be too busy defining it on their own terms, influencing it rather than figuring it.

I'll watch that video later but judging by the thumbnail... Amazon hired influencers for their Ring of Power show but after a few episodes it was discovered that one of them wasn't actually watching it. So much for nothing. That person was watching House of Dragons though, ironically

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I think he means each particular IP's audience. Like She-Hulk and Rings of Power where they seemed to have put a bigger emphasis on making them woke (not necessarily to capture the audience of their ilk) rather than pleasing their actual target audience (and the general audience to boot). They went so far as to alienate their target audience.

Reactions: ArtPeur

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Addiction, mental illness, human trafficking(of a 3yo toddler), dismemberment, acid soup of body parts, cut off tongue and vomiting blood on someone's face - think they cranked it up a notch in Karppi.

If it goes like the first two seasons the main story will split into a few sub-plots and violence will subside. But 5 EPs in it's pretty rough to watch.

Karppi is a beautiful, emotionless, axe-wielding robot dressing in oversized sweaters and jackets. Hot stuff.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Dark is pretty good if you like fantasy/horror.

The new series 1899 looks fantastic.

Just finished Ozark. Really enjoyed it, though I wasn’t blown away by the ending. I didn’t hate it, like I did The Sopranos, but I felt the last two episodes kinda sprinted for the end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One of my favorite shows from last year, The White Lotus, will soon see its Season 2 drop on October 30th, on HBO.

Some of the cast is returning and there are intriguing additions in Aubrey Plaza and Michael Imperioli, and this time, it’ll take place in Sicily. It promises to be outrageous.
Updating the above item, show premieres tonight at 9 PM ET, on HBO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
White Lotus, older couple newly arrived at their resort hotel room in Sicily. Woman making advances to boyfriend. He answers, “Right, now?!?

Gets up from bed. GF asks “Where are you going?”

He answers “Don’t you want me to shower first? I’ve got swamp crotch.”

He heads to the shower, whereupon she says to herself “He’s always thinking of me.”

Looks promising. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doublechin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Looking for a fun Halloween movie? Feel free to check out Barbarian. It’s off the wall weird but it was very entertaining.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Cabinet of Curiosities was partly good, partly meh. Half the time it's pointless and non sensical.

House of the Dragon season finale was great but so friggin predictable. Me "why the hell are you sending your kids alone and seperately? It's obvious the Greens will have sent the biggest dragon to one of those places.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad