OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
"liTeRaLlY fLeEiNg tHe sTaTe"

haha this post is ridiculous. it's the John Wick, no, the Fury Road of takes on California :laugh: :laugh:

the population has gone down by about 500,000 people since 2020 because the state got too expensive to live in. but the state's population grew again in 2023, so even the population rate is starting to bounce back.

the housing crisis is a very real problem, which is the main cause of homelessness. but those of us who can afford to live there, it's a great place with plenty of economic opportunity. economy grew +6% last year, GDP is about double that of Canada's per capita despite equal-sized population.

"iT's liTeRaLlY eScApE fRoM LA"

don't believe everything you hear on Fox News. they want California to fail so bad, but I assure you, they'll be OK. you should even visit some time.
Ever hear of illegal aliens?

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I remember seeing this when it came out at the York? we loved it, thought it was great, completely understood it, it made sense. Definitely a movie that required to be on acid as trying to watch it now, pass. Don't know what would ''work '' to get into it today. Still remember half way through and sparking up some kashmir during a night scene when it suddenly went super bright with that huge white wall, a lot of heads turned and what a smoke show! all cool though as no Floyd fan is gonna narc. Just speculation on my part but if anyone knows anyone who loved the movie, they did acid. A girl I was seeing said her brother loved it but insisted he didn't do acid but when she asked him, he admitted he did, fun times.:thumbu::thumbu:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Bro, really? Have you watched things from planet Earth in the last ten years? People are literally fleeing the state cause of how bad things have gotten. Waves and Waves of homeless people and crimes going rampant. People robbing shops and no arrests are made. It's literally Escape from LA.

As someone who makes my living in California, and I spend a fair amount of time there, you're take is hyperbolic, woefully uninformed and downright comical.

I don't watch American news. The place not only is too expensive but the crime has gone nuts. It's dirty as Hell. During Covid, the restrictions were crazy. My friend's wife lost her hair-dressing salon during that time. I have many friends that left and not for the cost living. That whole thing is going downhill.

Oh, gee, why didn't you lead with your friends hair salon going out of business? That proves your point!

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
As someone who makes my living in California, and I spend a fair amount of time there, you're take is hyperbolic, woefully uninformed and downright comical.

Oh, gee, why didn't you lead with your friends hair salon going out of business? That proves your point!

Just right wing nonsense......starting a sentence with "Bro" is always a precursor to an uninformed rant.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Just right wing nonsense......starting a sentence with "Bro" is always a precursor to an uninformed rant.

Just left wing nonsense......starting a sentence with "Just right wing nonsense" is always a precursor to an uninformed post.

200w.gif

To be fair, most of California is great. I've worked with Californians for the better part of the last decade, but even the very pro-cali types still admit the crime / drugs are getting crazy. And it wouldn't be repeating propaganda to say that the best San Francisco has looked in years was when the CCP dictator came to town, either. The state has wacked out priorities, but then again, I live in Canada. :help:

Also hey, Platoon is out on 4k tomorrow everybody!

shot-blood.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
200w.gif

To be fair, most of California is great. I've worked with Californians for the better part of the last decade, but even the very pro-cali types still admit the crime / drugs are getting crazy. And it wouldn't be repeating propaganda to say that the best San Francisco has looked in years was when the CCP dictator came to town, either. The state has wacked out priorities, but then again, I live in Canada. :help:

Also hey, Platoon is out on 4k tomorrow everybody!

shot-blood.gif

Can you please remove the intentional misquote at the top of this post and express it as your own opinion....typical right wing dishonesty

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I half agree with you. I thought part 1 was just as boring.

I enjoyed them, but I admit I mostly use them to test out my home theatre system. They're better than your usual marvel super hero flick, but not nearly on LOTR's level. Given the dearth of decent movies though, I'm not gonna complain too hard.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I enjoyed them, but I admit I mostly use them to test out my home theatre system. They're better than your usual marvel super hero flick, but not nearly on LOTR's level. Given the dearth of decent movies though, I'm not gonna complain too hard.
The term "decent movies" means different things to different people. You can say I enjoy FX, action sequences and what not but I have a list of what I expect from a movie and those elements are at the bottom of my list. Story, character development, dialogue, suspense, humour are some of the elements that top my list. Dune had none of my top requirements.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
it was a light ribbing implying that your post was easily reversed as it was just empty ad hominem. I'll edit out the offendy bits for your feelings.

While I understand what drove you to do it, the statement that you made was largely incorrect. I would have much less of a problem with you expressing such an opinion if you presented it as your own. It is exactly these false equivalencies that right wing charlatans rely on to obscure the fact that they are f.o.s. This is happening all over the world and abetting the rise of nationalist authoritarian movements that have historically been terrible for the well being of human civilizations..

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
While I understand what drove you to do it, the statement that you made was largely incorrect. I would have much less of a problem with you expressing such an opinion if you presented it as your own. It is exactly these false equivalencies that right wing charlatans rely on to obscure the fact that they are f.o.s. This is happening all over the world and abetting the rise of nationalist authoritarian movements that have historically been terrible for the well being of human civilizations..

Nothing about what I said was incorrect. It was a joke. Your post was entirely ad hominem. Changing your words around ever so slightly was the entire point of the joke and it flew over your head. I wasn't implying that it was what you thought. I was implying you're frighteningly close to embodying the very caricature you're accusing others of being.

The rest of your post is reddit-tier pablum. Wah wah muh righties, wah wah muh lefties.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The term "decent movies" means different things to different people. You can say I enjoy FX, action sequences and what not but I have a list of what I expect from a movie and those elements are at the bottom of my list. Story, character development, dialogue, suspense, humour are some of the elements that top my list. Dune had none of my top requirements.
Didn’t watch either Dune flick however I tend to be drawn to classic movies (there are so many good ones, I’ll never catch up) and a few select series (Ozark, GoT, White Orchid, etc ) and movies (Count of Monte Cristo, Shawshank, Limitless etc). I’ll rewatch the latter selections countless times until something new and compelling comes around that competently addresses the elements you listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad