OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Red Oaks on Amazon is a decent comedy.

Set in the 80s but I wouldn’t call it clichéd; a little sweet at times but not sappy. Easy viewing if you want something lighter.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Trying to juggle between S3 "The Sinner", S2 "Karppi" and S4 "Cardinal" all at the same time doesn't bode well for one's positive outlook at life, especially given our current situation. Word of advice - pick one of those at a time.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What is Tin Star? How are you liking it ... on whatever streaming service it may be on. Cause you know, in this thread, where you saw it is privileged info. :laugh:
I've written extensively about it back in the day. The short of it is that it isn't going to appeal to everyone. It's extremely niche and you do have to overcome your dislike of Roth (who doesn't, and not for his acting chops obviously). But the editing and the setting pulled me in regardless.

It's your poor man's Fargo. Less well written, but more gruesome.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I've written extensively about it back in the day. The short of it is that it isn't going to appeal to everyone. It's extremely niche and you do have to overcome your dislike of Roth (who doesn't, and not for his acting chops obviously). But the editing and the setting pulled me in regardless.

It's your poor man's Fargo. Less well written, but more gruesome.

I might go back to it, I just needed a break from police procedurals. I had just watched 4.5 seasons of Longmire so too much rural policing.

Dipping in to some Arrested Development for a rewatch. As much as I enjoyed The Office, I prefer AD. Comedies are convenient for being able to power through episodes in under 30 minutes. Less investment.

Might do Gomorrah next.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It always made me feel like a show I had to enjoy versus a show I could enjoy.

I totally get where you're coming from there. For me, it felt like I had to put effort into it to get excited about it. I like just sitting back and enjoying the show. I was like the other poster who said they were rewinding certain scenes etc. I wanted to enjoy because it got solid reviews and many people I know do enjoy it, but after awhile, I just felt like wtf am I doing watching this, I can't watch something because someone else enjoys it. It did nothing for me, I did finish season 1, but it was sporadic watching. I'd watch an episode or two, then nothing for a month and then I'd try to revisit it again and again. In the end, I couldn't do it.

I don't understand the appeal, but I get some people do love it.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Watched the first episode of 'Inside the Loop' last night. Very...different. Not sure what to make of it yet.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I might go back to it, I just needed a break from police procedurals. I had just watched 4.5 seasons of Longmire so too much rural policing.

Dipping in to some Arrested Development for a rewatch. As much as I enjoyed The Office, I prefer AD. Comedies are convenient for being able to power through episodes in under 30 minutes. Less investment.

Might do Gomorrah next.

community is also good for a 24 minute investment.

also, detectorists and cuckoo.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Ronaldo

It's incomplete. And insufficient.

A short documentary about it isn't enough.

Some extract were knowledgeable. Main subjects are daily life and family environment.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It always made me feel like a show I had to enjoy versus a show I could enjoy.

I totally get where you're coming from there. For me, it felt like I had to put effort into it to get excited about it. I like just sitting back and enjoying the show. I was like the other poster who said they were rewinding certain scenes etc. I wanted to enjoy because it got solid reviews and many people I know do enjoy it, but after awhile, I just felt like wtf am I doing watching this, I can't watch something because someone else enjoys it. It did nothing for me, I did finish season 1, but it was sporadic watching. I'd watch an episode or two, then nothing for a month and then I'd try to revisit it again and again. In the end, I couldn't do it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Reminds of the three attempts I made to watch The Wire. "But it's amazing", everyone said. I couldn't get into it. All I remember from it, is "Barksdale." That's about it. I think I made it through the first 2 episodes of S1. It was boring AF.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Reminds of the three attempts I made to watch The Wire. "But it's amazing", everyone said. I couldn't get into it. All I remember from it, is "Barksdale." That's about it. I think I made it through the first 2 episodes of S1. It was boring AF.

It was amazing :thumbu:

The thing with the Wire is that you need to stick through it, that thing unravels over the 5 seasons like nothing I have seen before.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
It was amazing :thumbu:

The thing with the Wire is that you need to stick through it, that thing unravels over the 5 seasons like nothing I have seen before.
Like many great shows, it takes numerous episodes, heck, even most of a season to get a good feel for the story and what they want to do with it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
A Quiet Place

Not bad. Good entertainment but it does not reinvent the wheel. It is similar to many other survival alien invasion movies. The ending is rather disappointing. Very gimmicky.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
A Quiet Place

Not bad. Good entertainment but it does not reinvent the wheel. It is similar to many other survival alien invasion movies. The ending is rather disappointing. Very gimmicky.

There's a second movie coming soon, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Less than 3 days until I get to go into a Bosch binge coma again. Not sure what it is about the show (I do not hold it in the upper echelon of TV series), but every one of its first five seasons I watched in a single sitting. If I had to describe it with just one word, the word would be "smooth".

Reactions: groovejuice

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
See, I actually loved The Wire. I have even done a 2nd and 3rd pass. Really enjoyed it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It picks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: