Let’s talk about Lafreniere. What kind of player is he turning into?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My comparable for him at the draft was Corey Perry. I still think he’s headed in that direction.

That’s pretty close, IMO. I was going to say a slower Kreider with better puck handling. Similar projections.

He’ll never be a speedster but he improved his skating enough to be quick at the NHL level and he has solid hands and vision to go with a strong physical game.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Own goals/60 off the charts.

this is tough to read....almost feel bad knowing someone is suffering enough to cope this hard. crow must be brutally sour

it's not all bad though...there is a bright side. probably don't have to worry about any bad bounces like this off forwards who never enter the defensive zone. there's always silver linings

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
His last 10 playoff games; 6 goals/3 assists

Matthews last 10 playoff games: 1 goal/5 assists
Marner last 10 playoff games: 2 goals/2 assists
Tavares last 10 playoff games: 1 goal/2assists

Basically he's a high end Matthews/Marner/Tavares hybrid (if they were good)
Great call.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
this is tough to read....almost feel bad knowing someone is suffering enough to cope this hard. crow must be brutally sour

it's not all bad though...there is a bright side. probably don't have to worry about any bad bounces like this off forwards who never enter the defensive zone. there's always silver linings

To be fair Jack Hughes hasn't scored any goals into his own net this postseason.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hes progressed into a fairly decent player. Looks like a middle six mainstay that can play in a variety of roles as a complimentary guy right now. Still lots of time to grow tho.

There is no projection where he's middle 6. He's a top liner at even strength and a second liner at worst even if you don't adjust for no PP1 time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You know, my impression of him up until this series was that he was decent but didn’t stand out a whole lot. But that impression has changed. He’s looked like a first-overall caliber player

Hope he continues to grow

Glad he's getting recognition in this series. He's one of 4 people who have showed up in the series (Trocheck, Goodrow, and Shesterkin are the others). It's as if those guys are playing a different game from everyone else.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s been easily our second best skater this playoffs after Trocheck. The passenger on his line has become Panarin and it’s Laffy and Troch driving things. I’m very close to saying he’s our second or third best forward. He’s outplayed Zibanejad and Kreider at even strength all year. If he got their power play time, how much would he score? I’m ready to see the DJ off PP1 and give Laf his spot. Tired of his bum ways, and firing muffins into goalies midsection and slowing down the PP.

As for what he’ll become, my hope the last few years has been he’d become what Buchnevich is. Thats the year by year comparison I’ve been using. Rangers and Blues fans will appreciate that comparison. To others that might sound like an ordinary player, but a 1PPG winger with size, average skating, tons of offensive ability, a solid physical game, and a very good defensive game is kind of my hope. They play a little differently (Laffy is more of a shooter, Buch more of a passer), but a PP1, PK1, PPG winger is very realistic, even if he probably won’t ever contend for a Hart trophy. Huberdeau is another comparison for his ceiling that I’ve used, although they also play the game differently.

Reactions: JKG33 and Dominance

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Could see him into being the guy who can play on the 1st line whenever, but mainly carry’s the 2nd line. Like Nylander does

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
How we need Byfield to take the next step (or 2).
Eww gross man.

I used to root against Byfield (and Stutzle) because I wanted other players in that draft to disappoint. But now I can root for all of those guys.
Just root against Byfield and Strudle. It's easy as a Sharks fan and it's the right thing to do.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Where's that guy who made that bust thread.

My comparable for him at the draft was Corey Perry. I still think he’s headed in that direction.

I see some of that with the way he can handle pucks and create shooting lanes for himself.

Not sure he has that same mean streak but I like that comparison.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
His advancement in the last year has been eye catching and he still has real upside. Put him on PP1 and he'll be PPG+ every season.

I like the Corry Perry comparison.

When it's all said and done, I think he'll have a better career than the player who went 1OA the year before - he'll be a strong, healthy player well into his 30's.
You think he’ll be better than Jack Hughes? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad