Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I happen to love Shakespeare. Visiting the New Globe Theatre was a major highlight of one of my trips to London. :)

If you are taking 3% of a guy's $7M salary and you can't explain escrow to him you need to be fired. And no doubt some players may not want to listen, but again that is your job. The players don't need to understand very fine detail. To understand the basic concept, the math is actually about Grade 5 level and I am not even exaggerating.
OT but I like Shakespeare, I don't love it, but some of his works better than others. The guy though did use constant tropes within his stories which were really the Jerry Springer or internet of its time. Stuff to draw in like, murder, sex, with all his works I've read involving these standard pulp tactics.

Can see why he was revered though. Interesting language,description, and worked extensively on setting, character development, foreshadowing, cliff hangers and bait and switch. The drama he creates with scenes changing so remarkably from one to another was a playwright device used often to today. As well as changes in sequence.

But while the English teachers of the day were saying to limit our consumption of trash and escape entertainment Shakespeare is some of that. The bard language doesn't remove that he was writing Tarentino before its time. He was a shock author of the time and intently so. He's kind of been revisited as to how much time in curriculum is allotted now. Theres probably better works for students to focus on.

London highlights? For me Tower of London and Tower bridge, seen in so many productions since I was 4yrs old. Natural History Museum and British Museum and containing "Rosetta Stone" which was a huge bucket list item for me.. St Pauls, Old London etc. I'm more of a history buff anywhere I go. The reconstruction of the Globe theater wasn't there when we visited.

I love history, and live in Edmonton, sigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A deferred payment contract like Seth Jarvis’s could bring Drais cap hit to 10M?! We should do that, Drai gets paid and we still get a discounted cap hit to work with.

Article explaining:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers have to be all over this. If you can save like $4-$6 million cap hit combined in the future Draisaitl + McDavid + Bouchard extensions, it basically gives you a mulligan on that Nurse contract. And then you can dump Nurse in 2027 anyway, lol.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
A deferred payment contract like Seth Jarvis’s could bring Drais cap hit to 10M?! We should do that, Drai gets paid and we still get a discounted cap hit to work with.

Article explaining:

So the bonus that’s deferred counts to the cap in the ninth season? Given that would be the end of the Oilers cup window in the Evan McDrai era. I don’t think it would matter anyway, and the Cap will be north of a 100 million as well.

Also if a deal can’t be reached before the start of the season, maybe a deal is delayed to January and sign all three big deals at once? McDavid doesn’t like the individual spotlight he’s big on promoting his team mates so this would help reduce the awkward and stupid questions directed at him by the Edmonton media when it does happen and prevent another drama situation that the Toronto media will play up like they did like Stamkos/Tavares.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So the bonus that’s deferred counts to the cap in the ninth season? Given that would be the end of the Oilers cup window in the Evan McDrai era. I don’t think it would matter anyway, and the Cap will be north of a 100 million as well.

Also if a deal can’t be reached before the start of the season, maybe a deal is delayed to January and sign all three big deals at once? McDavid doesn’t like the individual spotlight he’s big on promoting his team mates so this would help reduce the awkward and stupid questions directed at him by the Edmonton media when it does happen and prevent another drama situation that the Toronto media will play up like they did like Stamkos/Tavares.
I’m not entirely sure how that deferred bonus gets divied out to the cap after. I read that it could be like the bonus spread out over a number years after leading to a dead cap situation like what we had with Neil. But haven’t really dug into it yet.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the league doesn't penalize the Carolina Hurricanes over the Seth Jarvis contract the Oilers better do the same for Draisaitl and Bouchard on 8 year extensions right now then use it again next season with McDavid on an 8 year extension.

I'm sick to death of the Edmonton Oilers being the only team getting f***ed over in this league time after time. We just lost our very own team developed first round success stories to predatory offer sheets. I don't see any of Bettman's sunbelt teams losing players to offer sheets. You never see them lose f*** all period.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the league doesn't penalize the Carolina Hurricanes over the Seth Jarvis contract the Oilers better do the same for Draisaitl and Bouchard on 8 year extensions right now then use it again next season with McDavid on an 8 year extension.

I'm sick to death of the Edmonton Oilers being the only team getting f***ed over in this league time after time. We just lost our very own team developed first round success stories to predatory offer sheets. I don't see any of Bettman's sunbelt teams losing players to offer sheets. You never see them lose f*** all period.

This is a different can of worms, this is in the CBA, the NHL even gives teams formulas on how to do it.

The reason players don't do it is becase NHL GMs are stupid and uncreative for one, secondly players think they will end up making less by getting money later. The thing is deferring taxes can make up for losses on upfront salary.

That is basically what Shohei Ohtani is doing in baseball, he deferred a whopping $68 million/$70 million salary per year until after he retires basically. This is not out of the goodness of his heart, this is because he knows he's going to move to a no tax US state or low tax country after he retires and he's going to cash in that money at a much lower tax rate.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Article explaining:

I don't think the math in that article is quite correct. But in any case I doubt we see a 40 year deferral.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

No. There is no cap hit in the 9th season. What they do is discount any deferred salary back to the year it is deferred from using a specified discount rate. So in effect all money a is counted in the cap over the the original 8 years, but the discounting lowers the actual cap hit somewhat. However, the reduction may be a lot less than one might think.

Reactions: oilers'72 and PGW

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
i hope you have a tissue box close by...

Broberg & Holloway were promising players but I wouldn't say they are 'first round success stories' lol... not even close. Drai and Bouch are success stories

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

There is no reason for them to penalize either team.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
i hope you have a tissue box close by...

Broberg & Holloway were promising players but I wouldn't say they are 'first round success stories' lol... not even close. Drai and Bouch are success stories
I don't believe the Oilers will ever win a cup now to tell you the absolute truth. boo hoo hoo

Losing two developed players coming off of their entry level contracts that are viable NHLers right now for less than equal compensatory futures is a huge blow to the franchise. boo hoo hoo

I just want to see them sign their stars and not lose them like every other iteration of the Edmonton Oilers. glimmer of hope :crossfing

hf gang gang

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't believe the Oilers will ever win a cup now to tell you the absolute truth. boo hoo hoo

Losing two developed players coming off of their entry level contracts that are viable NHLers right now for less than equal compensatory futures is a huge blow to the franchise. boo hoo hoo

I just want to see them sign their stars and not lose them like every other iteration of the Edmonton Oilers. glimmer of hope :crossfing

hf gang gang
But they do sign their stars…? McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, Hall, Eberle, all signed long term at some point and all like to stay. I’d argue they actually do a pretty good job at keeping their star players. Broberg and Holloway are not stars. Yes they lost them for bad value but to say it’s a huge blow to the franchise is laughable. The Oilers signed a lot of good players on value contracts this summer and the McLeod trade was great.

The team is coming off a Game 7 SCF, idk why you’re crying so much lol, we have the best player in the game in his prime to watch and you’re crying about Broberg and Holloway? Lmao get a grip bruh

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
But they do sign their stars…? McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, Hall, Eberle, all signed long term at some point and all like to stay. I’d argue they actually do a pretty good job at keeping their star players. Broberg and Holloway are not stars. Yes they lost them for bad value but to say it’s a huge blow to the franchise is laughable. The Oilers signed a lot of good players on value contracts this summer and the McLeod trade was great.

The team is coming off a Game 7 SCF, idk why you’re crying so much lol, we have the best player in the game in his prime to watch and you’re crying about Broberg and Holloway? Lmao get a grip bruh
How's the weather in never-never land?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sure.

Just defer as much of that money to reduce the cap hit as possible, lol.
Then do the same for Bouchard the very next day.

Rinse and repeat for McDavid in a years time... hopefully sooner, they must realize the needless suffering they put the fan base through. Act sooner and accordingly.

In the meantime have all three players and their representation come up with corresponding solid financial plans for the future ensuring a secure window for the Edmonton Oilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myride

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wonder if they could terminate the Nurse contract with the understanding he would immediately sign another contract, worth even more, with the interjection of a long term deferred payout that would reduce his cap hit over the next 6 seasons?

Get that cap hit down to a manageable 5.5M. How many years would you have to stretch out the deferment to accomplish that? Holland would shit his pants and proceed to throw a handful of that shit in Armstrong's face. Doug would tell his mom.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

Article explaining:

If it's been posted already, my apologies:

Sorry - had the wrong link at first.
Ingenious! That idea should definitely be brought up in conversation with Drai and his agent at some point. No idea if he'd actually agree to do it but it's worth exploring. If he doesn't agree, he doesn't agree and at least Bowman could say he tried.

Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ingenious! That idea should definitely be brought up in conversation with Drai and his agent at some point. No idea if he'd actually agree to do it but it's worth exploring. If he doesn't agree, he doesn't agree and at least Bowman could say he tried.
Bowman better try. I expect that as a bare minimum. I expect in this situation he should have a good chance at some deferral savings too. It makes sense for the team and Drai, exact solution we are looking for.

Reactions: McBooya42

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Why wouldn't Draisaitl accept this? Those deferred bonuses accrue interest. It's a sound investment for his future earnings and it helps his team's chances competitively over the life of the contract.

Sign Draisaitl for the full 8 years with deferred bonuses. Do the same for Bouchard; full 8 years with deferred bonuses.

The window has opened so the Oilers can keep their stars. The opportunity has arisen giving the Edmonton Oilers a fighting chance at winning a cup against the tax-free American teams as well as the American teams that repeatedly circumvent the cap system.

If they don't take advantage of deferred bonuses you know there is something fishy about this league.

Last edited:

ImJustJokinen

Ty Emberson for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
Why wouldn't Draisaitl accept this? Those deferred bonuses accrue interest. It's a sound investment for his future earnings and it helps his team's chances competitively over the life of the contract.

Sign Draisaitl for the full 8 years with deferred bonuses. Do the same for Bouchard; full 8 years with deferred bonuses.

The window has opened so the Oilers can keep their stars. The opportunity has arisen giving the Edmonton Oilers a fighting chance at winning a cup against the tax-free American teams as well as the American teams that repeatedly circumvent the cap system.

If they don't take advantage of deferred bonuses you know there is something fishy about this league.
The deferred amount does not accrue interest. If it does, the cap hit ends up being the same as before. This only works if the player accepts no interest on the deferred amount, which is what Jarvis did.

In all this, Drai is the key factor. He has to willingly accept this, and his team and financial advisors might be telling him not to for TVM reasons. He might want his contract structured similar to the Leafs’ players’ contracts, where it’s all just huge signing bonuses as fast as possible anyway.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just a few weeks before training camp now. Would be nice to get this done before then or else the media will make it into a pretty big distraction (if they haven’t already)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad