Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Why wouldn't Draisaitl accept this? Those deferred bonuses accrue interest. It's a sound investment for his future earnings and it helps his team's chances competitively over the life of the contract.

Sign Draisaitl for the full 8 years with deferred bonuses. Do the same for Bouchard; full 8 years with deferred bonuses.

The window has opened so the Oilers can keep their stars. The opportunity has arisen giving the Edmonton Oilers a fighting chance at winning a cup against the tax-free American teams as well as the American teams that repeatedly circumvent the cap system.

If they don't take advantage of deferred bonuses you know there is something fishy about this league.
It would appear to be a solution that fits our needs for sure. Other teams too for that matter. We just happen to have those 3 that need to be signed, and they are in the top lists of talent in the league. This could allow us to really get some help at the deadline, or even before.

It only makes sense for the three of them, as it would be a win win (as long as they ok with the actual deferral). As you said though, it collects interest so really is an investment. A different thinking process for contracts that wouldn't work for most, but for some may be a smart move.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know its not 100% legit, but check the notes section on puckpedia below the contract table says the defered money will be split up after the contract is over and count to the cap in those seasons.

View attachment 904526
It don't see where it says that there will be a cap hit in year 9. In fact the stuff you circled contradicts that explicitly.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It would appear to be a solution that fits our needs for sure. Other teams too for that matter. We just happen to have those 3 that need to be signed, and they are in the top lists of talent in the league. This could allow us to really get some help at the deadline, or even before.

It only makes sense for the three of them, as it would be a win win (as long as they ok with the actual deferral). As you said though, it collects interest so really is an investment. A different thinking process for contracts that wouldn't work for most, but for some may be a smart move.
Does anybody know what interest is paid out on the deferred salary? Don’t think I’ve seen that anywhere that I can recall.

Edit: I see another poster saying it doesn’t accrue interest, which makes more sense

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Does anybody know what interest is paid out on the deferred salary? Don’t think I’ve seen that anywhere that I can recall.

Edit: I see another poster saying it doesn’t accrue interest, which makes more sense
It's not really accruing interest in the sense that the deferred amount being quoted is the actual amount that is paid, but there is an interest component in the sense that the team is responsible for the present value of the deferred payment discounted by a specified interest rate. So in this sense, the present value is earning interest to make the full deferred payment.

To illustrate...Suppose that a player has 1 dollar deferred 8 years. This is discounted at a rate that is roughly 5.5% these days. The present value of that dollar is $.652. This means that the team is effectively putting aside 65.2 cents now and investing it at an interest rate of 5.5% to pay the player $1 in 8 years. It is this 65.2 cents that the team is charged against the cap.

Last edited:

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I am still stunned that this strategy is just now coming to light.
We better use this on the draisaitl Bouchard and mcdavid contracts to the fullest extent
I suppose the players will have to agree to it but it’s wild that AAV no longer equals total dollars divided by years anymore

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am still stunned that this strategy is just now coming to light.
We better use this on the draisaitl Bouchard and mcdavid contracts to the fullest extent
I suppose the players will have to agree to it but it’s wild that AAV no longer equals total dollars divided by years anymore
It’s obviously to the advantage of the team and takes the player to agree. I’m actually not sure why a player would agree to it. Time value of money, assuming they are being responsible with their money and investing it, is worth quite a bit. The only one that makes sense that I have heard is the tax strategy one of moving to lower tax area after the contract is over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s obviously to the advantage of the team and takes the player to agree. I’m actually not sure why a player would agree to it. Time value of money, assuming they are being responsible with their money and investing it, is worth quite a bit. The only one that makes sense that I have heard is the tax strategy one of moving to lower tax area after the contract is over.

That's exactly why the player would agree to it. That's exactly what Ohtani is doing.

Reactions: oilers'72

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Training camp is what 2 weeks away? They sure are cutting it close before the Draisaitl camp shuts down talks for the season.....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Training camp is what 2 weeks away? They sure are cutting it close before the Draisaitl camp shuts down talks for the season.....

For all parties involved right now they should both be spending time exploring this deferred money concept.

If utilized correctly, it could make Draisaitl a lot more money and I think Katz has a ton of investment advisors that could walk Leon through exactly how to do it.

Besides MacKinnon did not sign his extension until Sept. 20th of that year. There's still time.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
For all parties involved right now they should both be spending time exploring this deferred money concept.

If utilized correctly, it could make Draisaitl a lot more money and I think Katz has a ton of investment advisors that could walk Leon through exactly how to do it.

Besides MacKinnon did not sign his extension until Sept. 20th of that year. There's still time.
For all we know the deal could already be done to. Just waiting for Leon to be back in edmonton for prss conference to announce it

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean I can give another example of how you could leverage this out the wazoo ...

The Oilers agree to a 14 million contract PLUS 750,000 extra per year (so 14.75). Draisaitl agrees to defer almost all his salary, like Shohei Ohtani, he defers so much that the end cap hit is like 9.8 million.

Why am I adding 750,000? Because it's 5% of 14 million. Why is that important? Hang on to your butts for a second. That 5% extra per year would basically allow Draisaitl to borrow the 14 million equivalent while waiting for his deferred money, effectively the Oilers are covering the interest cost of Draisaitl borrowing against his contract.

By then deferring almost almost all his money, Draisaitl also can then borrow interest free basically on his 14 million/year and invest that money in the here and now.

When he retires? He then cashes in his entire NHL earnings, but instead of paying 45-48% tax, he sets for a year or two his residence to say Switzerland (right next door to his home country of Germany) and pays even less tax, taking home far more money than he would have otherwise.

Reactions: oilers'72

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I mean I can give another example of how you could leverage this out the wazoo ...

The Oilers agree to a 14 million contract PLUS 750,000 extra per year (so 14.75). Draisaitl agrees to defer almost all his salary, like Shohei Ohtani, he defers so much that the end cap hit is like 9.8 million.

Why am I adding 750,000? Because it's 5% of 14 million. Why is that important? Hang on to your butts for a second. That 5% extra per year would basically allow Draisaitl to borrow the 14 million equivalent while waiting for his deferred money, effectively the Oilers are covering the interest cost of Draisaitl borrowing against his contract.

By then deferring almost almost all his money, Draisaitl also can then borrow interest free basically on his 14 million/year and invest that money in the here and now.

When he retires? He then cashes in his entire NHL earnings, but instead of paying 45-48% tax, he sets for a year or two his residence to say Switzerland (right next door to his home country of Germany) and pays even less tax, taking home far more money than he would have otherwise.
So now we are up to 14.75! Do I hear 15 million?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So now we are up to 14.75! Do I hear 15 million?

The cap hit would be 9.8 million or so. You could probably even push it lower, on Puckpedia I stopped once it got to about 9.8.

You could do something similar for Bouchard also.

This would effectively also wipe out the Nurse overpayment with these savings.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Draisaitl is bending the Oilers over. Dry.
Yup. He wants to get paid and of course he deserves a jump in salary but man, between 14+ mill for him and then McDavid and Bouchard next. EDM needs to win a cup in the next few seasons while they can. lol

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yup. He wants to get paid and of course he deserves a jump in salary but man, between 14+ mill for him and then McDavid and Bouchard next. EDM needs to win a cup in the next few seasons while they can. lol

Ignore him. He's a Jets fan who gets banned from posting on our board every few months.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The cap hit would be 9.8 million or so. You could probably even push it lower, on Puckpedia I stopped once it got to about 9.8.

You could do something similar for Bouchard also.

This would effectively also wipe out the Nurse overpayment with these savings.
It's the only way the Oilers will win a Cup.

I want to keep all of our stars long term. There is no other choice unless you want to go into a full rebuild. That means another decade of darkness.
Without our stars we don't stand a chance of ever winning a Cup.

Utilizing the current economic model no Canadian team will ever win a Cup.

Deferred bonuses are the great white hope. Even with deferred bonuses helping the Oilers over the next two seasons with regards to locking up our stars, Bettman and the Board of Governors will find a way to sabotage any Canadian success. They'll grow the game some more.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ignore him. He's a Jets fan who gets banned from posting on our board every few months.

He was whooping it up and posting like a jackass when the Oilers were in their slump early in the season hoping McDavid would be hurt for the season, lol he shut up real fast and wasn't then seen again for months, his rear end probably got awfully tight in the playoffs, lmao.

AlbOilFAN

Jan 26, 2018
Training camp is what 2 weeks away? They sure are cutting it close before the Draisaitl camp shuts down talks for the season....
Draisaitl is back I think this weekend or early next week. I’m pretty sure we’ll hear something…
Or he’s not getting the same gift like CONOR did when he gets married, from Katz.

Reactions: McBooya42

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers are serious about going the deferred salary route, 2 weeks is plenty of time for Katz' business team and the Oilers capologist to present an offer to both Drai and Bouchard camps where they are walked through step by step exactly how a deferred contract could work out for them and given options on it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oilers are serious about going the deferred salary route, 2 weeks is plenty of time for Katz' business team and the Oilers capologist to present an offer to both Drai and Bouchard camps where they are walked through step by step exactly how a deferred contract could work out for them and given options on it.
There are a LOT of possible options!!!!!!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad