Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
on almost any other team he is worth the max (20% of the cap or 17.6M per for next year).
I can see him taking a bit less to stay here but how much?
you gotta think he deserves 15 at least to be fair. then the question is what does McDavid want the year after?
does 35M for 2 players make a sense for a 95 or 100M cap? I think it does for now. at this point in our window I dont think we need to be thinking 4 or 5 years out with these 2 players. But what do I know? ha ha
my point is, we have some things to consider also.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
on almost any other team he is worth the max (20% of the cap or 17.6M per for next year).
I can see him taking a bit less to stay here but how much?
you gotta think he deserves 15 at least to be fair. then the question is what does McDavid want the year after?
does 35M for 2 players make a sense for a 95 or 100M cap? I think it does for now. at this point in our window I dont think we need to be thinking 4 or 5 years out with these 2 players. But what do I know? ha ha
my point is, we have some things to consider also.
I don’t see Leon asking US for 15 that’s his market value. I say it’s 13.5 x 7 or 8. Then Connor come in around 15 and Evan around 10. With cap expected to be close to 100 million by the time Connor is up I think we can do all 3 and still ice a team.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I don’t see Leon asking US for 15 that’s his market value. I say it’s 13.5 x 7 or 8. Then Connor come in around 15 and Evan around 10. With cap expected to be close to 100 million by the time Connor is up I think we can do all 3 and still ice a team.
Id say Leons market value is the max.
and
Dont you think Conner deserves the max? By the time he is due it will be 18 or 19. I know, thats a bit nit picky

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
and
Dont you think Conner deserves the max? By the time he is due it will be 18 or 19. I know, thats a bit nit picky
I think after this run the guys realize that if they want to win and stay together they can’t all take max deals to do so. Just my opinion of course could be way off. Remember PC offered Connor 14 and he told him that was too much.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think after this run the guys realize that if they want to win and stay together they can’t all take max deals to do so. Just my opinion of course could be way off. Remember PC offered Connor 14 and he told him that was too much.

If they want to win, they all need to take pretty significant team-friendly deals. Especially McDavid who is generationally wealthy already. Drai, and especially Bouch, I can understand "chasing the bag" more, as they aren't nearly as well off as McDavid is. McDavid makes more in endorsements every year than 80% of the league makes in NHL salary. McDavid doesn't need the money, not in the least, even if he played for free for the rest of his career, he'd retire with about ~$235 M USD in earnings (he will have made ~$185 M USD by the end of his current contract + endorsements for the next 10 years at $5 M/year). Obviously he wouldn't play for free, but just to prove a point. If he signed a very friendly deal at say $10M/year * 8 years, he'd retire with around ~$335 M USD in earnings.

At either $225 M or $335 M, he and his children's children, are set for life with even modest investing. The McDavid family are well off to begin with and seem to be very level headed, so I'm sure he has some great investing advice available to him. His family is set basically forever.

McDavid needs to determine if he cares about cups and legacy, or if he cares about money and potentially becoming the greatest player to have never won a cup. If he doesn't win a cup, the second sentence said about him for the rest of his life will be "but he never won a championship". The easiest way for him to ensure the greatest chance of him winning, is to take significantly less money than the market rate on his next contract.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If they want to win, they all need to take pretty significant team-friendly deals. Especially McDavid who is generationally wealthy already. Drai, and especially Bouch, I can understand "chasing the bag" more, as they aren't nearly as well off as McDavid is. McDavid makes more in endorsements every year than 80% of the league makes in NHL salary. McDavid doesn't need the money, not in the least, even if he played for free for the rest of his career, he'd retire with about ~$235 M USD in earnings (he will have made ~$185 M USD by the end of his current contract + endorsements for the next 10 years at $5 M/year). Obviously he wouldn't play for free, but just to prove a point. If he signed a very friendly deal at say $10M/year * 8 years, he'd retire with around ~$335 M USD in earnings.

At either $225 M or $335 M, he and his children's children, are set for life with even modest investing. The McDavid family are well off to begin with and seem to be very level headed, so I'm sure he has some great investing advice available to him. His family is set basically forever.

McDavid needs to determine if he cares about cups and legacy, or if he cares about money and potentially becoming the greatest player to have never won a cup. If he doesn't win a cup, the second sentence said about him for the rest of his life will be "but he never won a championship". The easiest way for him to ensure the greatest chance of him winning, is to take significantly less money than the market rate on his next contract.
Agreed that why I say 14-15 max he ends up taking

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Agreed that why I say 14-15 max he ends up taking

If he really wanted to win, he would take significantly less than that. Do a 2-3 year deal for cheap (say $5 M or whatever), and free up ~$10 M to sign/trade for a 2nd pairing Dman and 2nd line winger. Imagine how much better this team would be with those two players added to this core? Immediate cup faves, and by a long shot.

Taking $14 M, while I agree is a discount from what the market rate would be, doesn't really have him prioritizing legacy over money, very much the opposite in fact.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
If he really wanted to win, he would take significantly less than that. Do a 2-3 year deal for cheap (say $5 M or whatever), and free up ~$10 M to sign/trade for a 2nd pairing Dman and 2nd line winger. Imagine how much better this team would be with those two players added to this core? Immediate cup faves, and by a long shot.

Taking $14 M, while I agree is a discount from what the market rate would be, doesn't really have him prioritizing legacy over money, very much the opposite in fact.
If either of them signed for 5M per season, they’d get roasted by the NHLPA

Reactions: WaitingForUser

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
and
Market value is different in a vacuum than it is when you consider the implications of actually icing a whole roster of players. There's no player in the league that is worth 20% of the cap when you factor in the depth needed to be a contender.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Market value is different in a vacuum than it is when you consider the implications of actually icing a whole roster of players. There's no player in the league that is worth 20% of the cap when you factor in the depth needed to be a contender.
I agree and I think we will sign both to be honest
All I originally said/Wondered is that we have considerations too, meaning at what point is too much.
If this does happen to drag on (we aren’t there yet) and either do make it to free agency, I think there’s a really good chance that both could get offered the max from someone

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I agree and I think we will sign both to be honest
All I originally said/Wondered is that we have considerations too, meaning at what point is too much.
If this does happen to drag on (we aren’t there yet) and either do make it to free agency, I think there’s a really good chance that both could get offered the max from someone
I think any team that those guys would actually want to play for isn't dumb enough to think that paying 1 player $17m+ per year is worth the shot. If a bottom 10 team comes in with an insane offer, I don't think there's any way those guys consider it. And the Boston/New York/Colorado/Vegas calibre organizations know that a contract like that will implode their chances of winning anything.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Is there something we can give them as a perk besides money? I imagine they're both set for life, but maybe we can give them something else to entice them to stay.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is there something we can give them as a perk besides money? I imagine they're both set for life, but maybe we can give them something else to entice them to stay.
The CBA pretty much prohibits this. On an 8 year deal however there are salary structures that can make the deal more lucrative. Front loading and large signing bonuses are the big tools. Of course NMC and NTC are pretty much automatic these days for players at the top of the salary scale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad