Prospect Info: Parker Alcos (RD - WHL, Edmonton Oil Kings) | 189th Overall 2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Elite Prospects Rank: 93
6'3 175lbs, from Port Moody

Elite Prospects Scouting Report
Looking for a shutdown defenceman with size, mobility, and potential for major growth? Parker Alcos is your guy. He breezed through big minutes with the Edmonton Oil Kings with a modern, projectable defensive game and flashes of offence.

Mobility forms the basis of Alcos’ game. He’s a fluid skater who achieves full flexion through his stride, retains most of it through his edges, and retains speed through his pivots and transitions. Mobility forms the basis of his detailed defensive game. He wins races on retrievals, controls contact, checks over both shoulders, and leaves pucks into space for a teammate.

“First, the rush defence,” Elite Prospects Dir. of North American scouting Mitchell Brown wrote in February. “Smooth, balanced, and then he darts across and erases plays on the surf. Stick inside every lane. Physical. He doesn’t overextend, either. One sequence, he forced the cutback, then beat the opponent to the other side to get the stop – a great example of dictating as a defender.”

Alcos has both high-level breakout and offence flashes too, even if a bit too infrequent at this stage. On the breakout, he draws and evades pressure, finding weak side targets and using give-andgoes. From the point, he’s always creeping into space on the weak side, usually to shoot but sometimes to pass back across the slot for an even better look.

At times, Alcos’ hands fail him. He gets locked into plays and lacks deception outside his more advanced retrieval game. Translating that to open ice should make Alcos an offensive creator in the WHL.

Tightening up his gap control and puckhandling, while finding more opportunities to create offence and dictate the game, are Alcos’ development keys. He’s a long-term project, but the potential for a No. 5 or even No. 4 defenceman is here.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Famn I like the picks we have made this year. Every one of the have NHL potential. considerin that we did not have a pick in the first 2 1/2 rounds, we have done pretty good. Yes they are all long shots, but I see a real chance that we get 2 players out of this bunch playing for the Canucks in 3 - 4 years!
I really like this pick.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Looks like he plays a mobile and physically engaged shutdown game. Lots of room to fill out, could be a nice bottom pairing player for us down the road

I'm trying to find out if he's Indigenous too, he's setting off my radar, but could be south east asian or asian pacific or something

Reactions: DFAC

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I know its to early to really say this but our picks for depth defense prospects has gotten so much better post-Benning. (Pro scouting, too) I mean, it really can't have been worse, so it isn't really saying much, but we are managing to grab some real D prospects out of each draft so far.

Reactions: Lindgren

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Looks like he plays a mobile and physically engaged shutdown game. Lots of room to fill out, could be a nice bottom pairing player for us down the road

I'm trying to find out if he's Indigenous too, he's setting off my radar, but could be south east asian or asian pacific or something
With that name combo I'd guess Filipino

Reactions: Hansen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like this pick a lot at this stage of the draft.

Big, mobile, physical RHD. You want as many players of this type as possible in your system.

Offensively there is obviously work to do but it’s worth noting that this is a late bloomer who was passed over in the WHL draft and was only a WHL rookie this year. Plus a very late birthdate. So there’s probably a lot of runway for him to improve.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A bit of Mynio in him? That EP scouting report posted by @Vector ... If hands and puck skills are the main weaknesses I can live with that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't really follow the Dub that closely but I'm sure there are posters out there who do....what's the story on this guy?

Canucks apparently liked his size and skating ability--but no offense to speak of. I realize that most 7th rounders are afterthoughts, but does Alcos have a shot?

Looks like the Canucks 'hit' on Kudryavtsev in the 7th round--who at least got signed and made it to Abbotsford. Could it happen again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad