Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think it would be a surprise if Jackson didn't hire a younger up and coming GM after the Knoblauch success.

I'm not sure if Mark Hunter is that guy or not. But I imagine Stan Bowman is not in consideration.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Does Stan Bowman have lots of connections? That's probably why JJ is considering it.

Connections mean alot in the GM world. Remember that Holland got Kostin, and he was close with the Blues GM. Same with Poille in the Ekholm trade. And of course all the deals he did with Yzerman.

You don't want to be shut out of making moves by the boys club that is GMs in this League.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think it would be a surprise if Jackson didn't hire a younger up and coming GM after the Knoblauch success.

I'm not sure if Mark Hunter is that guy or not. But I imagine Stan Bowman is not in consideration.

I don't really see any connections to Hunter.

1. He's not younger if that's their direction
2. He's doesn't have much NHL experience
3. He's not currently working in the NHL

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Just to play devils advocate I think 4 condors just graduated as significant pieces I think
fair point but I haven’t been a fan of their minor league signings. Idk if Keith G has anything to do with it but Chiasson, Berglund, McKegg, Grubbe, Stonehouse, Fanti, etc have all been bad IMO. They let Kesselring go, didn’t sign Blumel, etc.

Just a bunch of micro losses for the organization

Pickard and Vinny have been good Condors alumni

I personally hope the Oilers go for a newer modern thinking GM and not a has-been with ‘experience’

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
JJ said he put in requests to talk to employees from other teams. But with Draft and Free Agency teams are busy right now. Says he has a list of candidates that he will have to go through. Wants to find the right guy who aligns philosophically with what the vision is. Says he'll take a couple days down time and then he'll make his way through the interview process. Says it could be couple weeks or 3 weeks to put someone in the chair, but ultimately when he's done it'll be the right guy.

So, the process has barely started. No need to get too hot and bothered by the Stan Bowman rumors.

Reactions: Kaniac and Nunymare

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
JJ said he put in requests to talk to employees from other teams. But with Draft and Free Agency teams are busy right now. Says he has a list of candidates that he will have to go through. Wants to find the right guy who aligns philosophically with what the vision is. Says he'll take a couple days down time and then he'll make his way through the interview process. Says it could be couple weeks or 3 weeks to put someone in the chair, but ultimately when he's done it'll be the right guy.

So, the process has barely started. No need to get too hot and bothered by the Stan Bowman rumors.

Mentioned around 18:45 in his interview with Stauffer today: Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer | Global News

Doesn't sound like Hunter or Bowman to me, if he's interviewing people in positions with other teams.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
John Chayka anyone?

Too much of an ego and thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. He blames the tight purse strings in Arizona but that was why that organization went so deep into analytics--something he was suppose to be a master at but failed. This is more a rant about analytics in hockey not being anywhere near where some people think it is

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
It's obvious that JJ is big on analytics, so whomever they hire will be analytics driven, forward thinking, etc.

I know it's mention earlier, but he acknowledged Stauffer's repeated comment about "knowing the market". So someone with experience in Western Canada. I think that hurt Chiarelli and helped Holland. I'm not thrilled on Kenny's tenure, but at least he and his wife lived in Edmonton full time and embraced the community while Chiarelli spent most of his time in Boston.

I really don't like the Stan Bowman "rumours", but he doesn't really fit in the "forward thinking, analytics driven, Western Canada experienced" executive I think they're looking for.

Based on everything he's done so far, I think I trust him to find someone good. Let's just hope Bobby Nicks isn't involved whatsoever...

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I can only speak for myself. I will not happy be happy if the Oilers hire Bowman. I compare it to the Eskimos signing Eric TIllman. Even the most die hard Eski fan was not happy with that. So this has little to do with oiler bashing from outsiders as it does with the Oiler fan base not liking why Bowman was blacklisted/banned by the NHL. He tried to cover it up, did a bad job of it and I do not want him near the oilers

I dont want him there either, no one does. I just think they really believe in Jeff Jackson
I was thinking about the Tillman analogy too. It was a turning point in the fortunes of the Eskimos. They never really recovered from the move.

When the fan base says "please don't hire this guy" then in the interests of customer service and good public relations don't do it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad